Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Me too. BMWF650 GS dual sport, Honda XR250R, CT90. BTW is this a contest? If so I can submit a list, there are others!. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Update: After studying the print-out from the failed alignment attempt I realized the caster and camber were easily within spec. I don't have any idea how that tech got the idea I needed to take the van to the dealer. The toe, however, was out, but not as expected. Because the steering rack is behind the axle, one would expect the lift to create a small amount of toe-out, but in this case the LF tire was dead on and the RF was slightly toed in! Must have been even more toed in before the lift. I took it to a different shop; they easily adjusted the toe and all is well. Just got back from a 3 week 4180 mile road/camping trip through the 4 corners area and everything worked well.

As for the lift-or-not-to-lift debate, the immediate benefit of raising the front end is a better view down the highway with less hunching over the steering wheel. I'm a 6'1" guy with a tall sitting height and the difference provided by the lift is palpable. And, yes, it does look better. I intend to do the rear leaf removal mod next.

My van is a diesel and the intake plumbing after the charge cooler is precariously exposed and vulnerable under the front end, so the additional clearance provided a bit of reassurance on the deeply rutted Chaco Canyon road, among others. Some sort of additional protection is on the to-do list.

One last note: I appreciate the comments about "real 4WD" rigs for the rough stuff, and carrying a dirt bike. My PM replaces this rig because my traveling companion requires more creature comforts than I do. I appreciate being able to get dressed standing upright though.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Russian Spacers..

I ordered the Russian Spacers and had them installed a couple of weeks ago along with some BFG KO2 245/70/17 tires and wheels . Love them! But like a previous post, I am getting some steering wheel shudder at around 50 MPH. Otherwise it's all smooth. I'm guessing the shutter is due to something in the CV joints being in a new position. The van has just under 40K miles on it now. The other issue that came up is that my trip computer is stuck showing "Average Fuel Consumption" at 4.7MPG. I'm guessing that this might be related to disconnecting the computer near the steering column when the strut was removed. Not sure how I'll get that resolved. All of the other modes work fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed the van carpus one and a half inch front lift kit with the airlift 5000 airbags in the rear and I love the set up! I am installing some BFG KO2’S 245/65/17 with black rhino havasu wheels tomorrow. can’t wait to see how it looks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ordered the Russian Spacers and had them installed a couple of weeks ago along with some BFG KO2 245/70/17 tires and wheels . Love them! But like a previous post, I am getting some steering wheel shudder at around 50 MPH. Otherwise it's all smooth. I'm guessing the shutter is due to something in the CV joints being in a new position. The van has just under 40K miles on it now. The other issue that came up is that my trip computer is stuck showing "Average Fuel Consumption" at 4.7MPG. I'm guessing that this might be related to disconnecting the computer near the steering column when the strut was removed. Not sure how I'll get that resolved. All of the other modes work fine.

I have the same spacers and don't have an issue. I would double check the balancing of the front tires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine shudders from 50-60 also with no mods just stock. There is a thread dedicated to this problem with a workaround but I can’t remember what it was. I’ll try to find the thread. Bugs me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It could be something as simple as a missing wheel weight causing the shuddering. I'm assuming you checked all of the lug nuts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone shed a little light on this shudder issue? My diesel just started this between 45 and 60 MPH, worse as the load increases. I took the CV joints apart expecting to see some obvious ware but nothing.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
25 Participants
Bruceiam
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing