Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Same idea as those ones on eBay, but metal. $300 is a lot for that, but he's first in the game in the USA at least.

Pretty sure the ones on eBay from somewhere In Europe are a type of polymer/plastic because I read one review that said they were a little "soft."

Anyone who has seen how these all go together care to say if making one of these even thicker would pose a problem.? Say 2" or 2.5" thick and then a small lift in the rear to even things out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
It looks to be easier than the Spaccer kit because the springs do not have to be compressed, but with the added length of the strut, more of the front end may have to be taken apart to fit everything back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
These should also be much better in the ride department. Adding spacers to the spring changes the stroke of the suspension, loosing down travel. This kind of spacer won't do that.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
I think the main purpose is lifting not leveling. For $1 you can level the van. Just remove the secondary spring in the rear. Oh the $1 is for the two new grade 8 bolts needed for spring center bolts.

Yes I did read the thread title.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased the 40mm (1.5 in) front spacers from Russia off Ebay. They’re not soft or spongy at all and they came with all hardware. It took a month for them to arrive, but they only cost $130 delivered and they’re nicely machined. I like that they don’t reduce spring compression.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This type of spacer (fitting between head of strut and strut mounting location) is a pretty common thing for some other vehicles. There are, for example, numerous versions available for Subarus, and I have seen a couple for Toyota Siennas. Great debate rages on how much is too much . At some point - presumably a different point with each particular vehicle - you get into issues with the CV joints because of the altered angle, or the tie rods, etc. Having looked around at many opinions of the various amounts of lift achieved on Subarus, I can say there is not much consensus on the top end - some folks claim 3' or even 4" works fine, while others balk at anything over 1 1/2". With the Subarus, there are a lot of these kind of lifts on the road, and it seems like the smaller lifts, 1 or 1 1/2", are pretty widely accepted, the 2" fairly so, and beyond that the serious arguments begin, and/or the serious related modifications to avoid problems. Materials and precise configurations do vary with the ones I've seen for other vehicles, with some units having geometry built-in to compensate to some extent for the altered angles produced by the lift, while others don't have that. The Van Compass units have a different fabrication method than any others I've seen, but principles are exactly the same, and these are the simplest sort, where it is just a straight shim, no offsets to the side or angles involved.
Another point, though probably not very applicable to a van, is that while these shims do not compress the springs and thus do not reduce spring travel so that you bottom out sooner, they can do the opposite; if the strut is lowered enough you can reach a point where the a-arms hit bottom before the strut is fully extended and thus you can "top out" on a rebound or a dropoff. Like I say, probably not an issue with a van as few people are going to drive one of these aggressively enough to encounter the situation, but I though I'd mention it because I've seen it discussed in relation to this type of lift on other vehicles.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think the main purpose is lifting not leveling. For $1 you can level the van. Just remove the secondary spring in the rear. Oh the $1 is for the two new grade 8 bolts needed for spring center bolts.

Yes I did read the thread title.
You want to post a how-to tutorial?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Detailed instructions on how to do this have been posted by many members (including me) - google is your friend ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our kit is a lift kit. It lifts the van 1.5" - It levels most light to mid weight vans. We are working on a rear lift to match the front.

The VC spacers are built with camber correction to make up for the lift height/geometry change. Hard to tell from the pictures on our site. Adding spacers to the top of the strut does not increase the spring rate or make the ride harsh. It creates a true lift. The bump stop built into the strut is lowered down with this method. This keeps larger tires out of the fender sheetmetal when the suspension compresses. The Spaccer kits and others that require the springs to be compressed to fit under the strut bearing cap just raise the ride height by increasing the preload on the coil spring. The bump stop is not moved.

Link to installation instructions -->

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0871/7220/files/1025-INST-V1.1.pdf?11605541050093205182

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks - nice to hear direct from the source. I'm curious whether you considered other amounts of lift, and if so what led you to decide on 1.5"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks - nice to hear direct from the source. I'm curious whether you considered other amounts of lift, and if so what led you to decide on 1.5"?
We carefully measured the CV joint and rear control arm bushing limitations. If you lift anymore the CV joint will bind when the suspension drops out and the rear control arm bushing will bind in the mount. Our lift will give you the same wheel travel as stock and 1.5" of true lift.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great set of instructions. I'd tackle that with a friend. My van tends to ride lower in the back, so I'm interested in what you come up with there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great set of instructions. I'd tackle that with a friend. My van tends to ride lower in the back, so I'm interested in what you come up with there.
We have a simple rear 1.5" lift block and new u-bolts to test out. We are booked up till the end of the month and plan to get the kit installed early June and will have the time to test our custom rear Fox shocks during the installation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We have a simple rear 1.5" lift block and new u-bolts to test out. We are booked up till the end of the month and plan to get the kit installed early June and will have the time to test our custom rear Fox shocks during the installation.
Fox shocks front and rear would be the ****! Please figure out how to do a fox insert in the factory strut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fox shocks front and rear would be the ****! Please figure out how to do a fox insert in the factory strut.

Fox does not make a strut yet. They are starting to work on them for other applications, but probably still years away.

The rear Fox shocks we tune in house can be used to smooth out the ride on light vans or add extra damping on heavily loaded campers/work vans.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts