Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Hi,

" I purchased a $36 transmission oil pan with a plug (http://a.co/d/f3kcvzM), a $17 dipstick and chart to measure fluid levels (http://a.co/d/cAd6eQw), and a$16 infrared thermometer to get the transmission fluid temperature (http://a.co/d/8vvbnqK)."

Thanks for the links.

Is it necessary to replace the pan each time you change the trans fluid?

Just got quoted $250 by the dealer to change the trans oil and replace the filter.
Guessing I'm showing my age, but I can remember when you could get a transmission overhaul for $300 :)

Gary
The aftermarket drain pans with the drain plug makes draining the fluid easier.

This video shows the factory way and the everybody else way for measuring the fluid level.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
No and the pan comes with rtv as a gasket from the factory. You can buy a gasket but most people seem to believe just using rtv is best. It’s a good idea to get the new pan with the drain plug tho it makes the job a lot cleaner and easier. RockAuto has them for $28 I believe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The aftermarket drain pans with the drain plug makes draining the fluid easier.

This video shows the factory way and the everybody else way for measuring the fluid level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnTxuV-DwE&index=5&list=PLM_FgFcXdM5pQXnR91sVNU2Nm2b5cq8NA

I was all excited to go engrave my dipstick & check my tranny fluid but my oil dipstick is a cable with a plastic barrel at the bottom on the reader end. Guess I'll have to get that dorman & leave it in my toolbox. I liked the oil dipstick mod he did in the video, it'd be nice to have available all the time.

Last year I flushed the transmissions on my F150 & Savanna 2500, changed the filters & added pans with drain plugs; the F150 took a few gallons of synthetic, the Savanna took >13 gallons before it looked clean

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone used an oil extractor to do transmission oil changes?

Chrysler makes a specific transmission dip stick. You’ll need it to read the correct level. We recommend dropping the pan because that way you can inspect the magnet for chunks of metal and replace the filter in the bottom of the transmission

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Chrysler makes a specific transmission dip stick. You’ll need it to read the correct level. We recommend dropping the pan because that way you can inspect the magnet for chunks of metal and replace the filter in the bottom of the transmission
And if I had the pan down, I'd add a drain valve to it for future changes.

Re: special dip stick, thanks for the reminder for me to check what the trans fluid level is right now while it's still pretty new. I'm assuming that it was filled properly at the factory. People in other cars with Pentastar engines have suggested that one could simply use the engine oil dip stick (appropriately wiped clean) and scratch some lines on it for the trans fluid level. i.e. no need to buy a their special stick.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
And if I had the pan down, I'd add a drain valve to it for future changes.

Re: special dip stick, thanks for the reminder for me to check what the trans fluid level is right now while it's still pretty new. I'm assuming that it was filled properly at the factory. People in other cars with Pentastar engines have suggested that one could simply use the engine oil dip stick (appropriately wiped clean) and scratch some lines on it for the trans fluid level. i.e. no need to buy a their special stick.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I would suggest everyone with this trans buy that pan. Change the pan, fluid & filter at your first 30k miles then just drain the fluid and change the fluid the next 30k drop the pan and replace the filter every 60k miles.

Cheap insurance!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would suggest everyone with this trans buy that pan. Change the pan, fluid & filter at your first 30k miles then just drain the fluid and change the fluid the next 30k drop the pan and replace the filter every 60k miles.

Cheap insurance!
Any thoughts on synthetic fluid?

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
You have to be sure it meats the Chrysler specs also. All ATF+4 isn’t the same.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought a couple cases of the Chrysler +4 fluid on Amazon.

The Rock Auto pan with a drain plug was under $20 shipped when I got it earlier this year. Seemed well made too.

·
Registered
738 Posts

Cheap insurance!
And fill it to the spec capacity assuming all fluid has been drained?

is there any possibility that pan holds more/less fluid causing a different amount of fluid to be needed?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

is there any possibility that pan holds more/less fluid causing a different amount of fluid to be needed?
I don't think I've heard of anyone verifying these numbers with or without the drain plug.

Would be nice to know how much comes out with the drain plug.

Service Fill Level: 5.5 qts/5.2L (pan drop, drain, new filter)

Total Unit Capacity: 9.0 qts/8.5L (overhaul)

·
Registered
522 Posts

Cheap insurance!

That variable is nullified because the dip stick doesn't contact the bottom of the pan.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
For my PM, purchased, new, I was simply going to assume the factory fill was correct and then drain out what I can (drain plug in pan method or evacuator) and then replace with the exact same amount of fluid that got removed.

If anyone knows that this simpleton's method is incorrect, please let me know. I still have a lot of driving before I hit say 30K miles or so before I plan to do this so lots of time to think about it. But my Caravan, same transmission as PM, is getting due soon (90,000 Km). Due in my mind that is, because its manual suggests that transmission fluid is lifetime (no replacement necessary) and I'm thinking "er...no.".

21 - 40 of 51 Posts