Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '14 promaster and "knock on wood" only had one issue which was taken care of by the dealer (took some effort). at the moment I'm about to hit the 58xxx mile mark and wanted to know if i should change the trans fluid, which one to buy, can i do it myself and how to do it (has anyone done it)

·
Premium Member
7,736 Posts
Read your manual? Just an idea. Gasser? Diesel?

·
Registered
67 Posts
For Diesel PM:
Automated Manual Transmission
• Gearbox: Full synthetic 75W-85 manual transmission fluid meeting the API
GL4 specification.
• Control system: MOPAR® C Series DDCT SAE 75W Hydraulic Fluid or
equivalent.
• Hydraulic Clutch Operating System: MOPAR® Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT
4 Motor Vehicle or equivalent.
Failure to use the correct fluid may affect the function or performance of your
transmission.
Привіт з Монреаля

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For Diesel PM:
Automated Manual Transmission
• Gearbox: Full synthetic 75W-85 manual transmission fluid meeting the API
GL4 specification.
• Control system: MOPAR® C Series DDCT SAE 75W Hydraulic Fluid or
equivalent.
• Hydraulic Clutch Operating System: MOPAR® Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT
4 Motor Vehicle or equivalent.
Failure to use the correct fluid may affect the function or performance of your
transmission.
Привіт з Монреаля
привіт з Нью -Джерсі.
i have a gas engine, i will check the manual today and update you guys, but has anyone done a trans fluid change? or would it be the same concept where you drop the pan, change the gasket, change the filter, and fill it back up with fluid.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Diesel - unless I missed it, I didn't see a recommended trans fluid change mileage interval.

Is there a trans fluid change mileage interval?

·
Premium Member
7,736 Posts
It is the same transmission as a Caravan in the gasser. The owners manual has a maintenance schedule doesn't it? I don't have the gasser but those Caravans needed a fluid change in the past. Manual says 60K miles for tranny fluid change. Use ATF+4® Automatic Transmission Fluid. I'd pull the pan and change the filter. RTFM!

·
Premium Member
7,736 Posts
Adrian,
Diesel:
Gearbox: Full synthetic 75W-85 manual transmission fluid meeting the API GL4 specification.
• Control system: MOPAR® C Series DDCT SAE 75W Hydraulic Fluid or equivalent.
• Hydraulic Clutch Operating System: MOPAR® Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT 4 Motor Vehicle or equivalent.

I cannot find an interval for the M40 gearbox oil change either.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Our trans, in the diesel, is different and does not use ATF fluid. It's a manual trans so it likely uses heavy weight full synthetic gear oil most likely a 75W oil. But I can't find a recommended change for it. On a manual trans vehicle, I don't know if there is a recommended change interval normally?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks �� Yes we will keep checking to see if we can find a recommended service for M40 trans.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i checked the manual and it says exactly as "RD" said before ~ATF+4® Automatic Transmission Fluid~ just i don't know how much to put in.

a bit off topic, but something that i always think about when i do my oil change... the manual says 6 quarts... but i put in 5 quarts and run the engine so the filter soaks some oil in, the dipstick is past the halfway mark, its pretty much at the top of the meter... why does my manual say 6 quarts then?? isn't that going to be too much?

·
Premium Member
7,736 Posts
It might be. I'd add 1/4 quart at a time until I was at the full line on the dipstick. Engines do not like being overfilled as the crank can reach to the top of the oil level and that raises all kinds of issues not the least being frothing. My diesel says 9-1/2 quarts or 9 liters but it is full with 9 quarts. I'm at the top of the dipstick. Lets be hoiest here .5 quarts out of 9.5 is not going to make a difference. What meter? Use the dipstick, don't be one! Chuckle, joke, Ha, Ha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It might be. I'd add 1/4 quart at a time until I was at the full line on the dipstick. Engines do not like being overfilled as the crank can reach to the top of the oil level and that raises all kinds of issues not the least being frothing. My diesel says 9-1/2 quarts or 9 liters but it is full with 9 quarts. I'm at the top of the dipstick. Lets be hoiest here .5 quarts out of 9.5 is not going to make a difference. What meter? Use the dipstick, don't be one! Chuckle, joke, Ha, Ha.
ha, i was referring to the dipstick.. i usually have it a halfway on the dipstick or close to the top on my cars, but in this promaster i use 5 quarts and its at the top 100%, which sometimes concerns me. where is the proper amount supposed to be on the dipstick, halfway like everyones been telling my for ages, or does it have to be at the top of the dipstick?

·
Premium Member
7,736 Posts
On the engine oil level, fill the oil until the oil is at the TOP of the cut out on the dipstick or at the Full mark. Whoever said half way was wrong IMHO. Halfway will be a quart or more low and on some engines that is a problem. The oil also cools the engine parts and a sufficient quantity is important to do that as well as lubricate it.
Many vehicles do not have a transmission dipstick and filling the transmission is done at the transmission not from above. My son's car has a CVT transmission and it is stated- do not attempt to service the transmission fluid.... return to dealer or some such wording

·
Registered
166 Posts
Diesel - unless I missed it, I didn't see a recommended trans fluid change mileage interval.

Is there a trans fluid change mileage interval?
As ukrandriy89 wrote there are three fluids for the gearbox: the oil for the gearbox/differential, the hydraulic fluid for the gearbox actuators and the fluid for activation of the clutch (that uses a small quantity of fluid).

In the Fiat Ducato additional manual for Confort-matic gearbox (M40 automated manual) there are the scheduled service intervals that is 48,000 for check levels and eventually refill.
Every 96,000 km or two years should be changed the DOT 4 fluid of the clutch actuator (0.05 liters).

Hereafter there are the links to the manual (I add also the italian link since in the english version there is an error, it is written "check" instead of replace = italian "sotituzione").

Confor-matic manual: (italian manual) - (english manual)

Fiat Ducato manual: there are the service plan intervals and fluids and greases (in english)

This is a 2007 training document for the C546 (M40) automated manual gearbox, service interval were at the time 30,000 km and the fluid quantities not all the same.

·
Registered
424 Posts
For the 62TE automatic tied to the gas engine ... youtube to the rescue. This video shows the procedure being done on a Caravan but it's the same thing. Seems pretty good - doesn't look like too out of the ordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLlN0UFEyk

Find the fill plug, fabricate your custom dipstick and verify that you know how to check the fluid level (based on what's in there now) before you take things apart down below ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did a transmission drain and fill this past weekend with 46k miles on my 2017 gasser. It wasn't super cheap, but I think I've set it up so that I can perform the DIY version of this a little more easily in the future: I purchased a $36 transmission oil pan with a plug (http://a.co/d/f3kcvzM), a $17 dipstick and chart to measure fluid levels (http://a.co/d/cAd6eQw), and a$16 infrared thermometer to get the transmission fluid temperature (http://a.co/d/8vvbnqK).

I have to add about 5-10 degrees to the fluid temp reading while at idle in neutral, but the sensor is in the pan and I tested it on my uncle's Ram truck that has a transmission temp readout gauge on the console and it was within that 5-10 degree margin.

So, I invested about $70 in equipment to make it so I could do this on more frequent intervals without having to go to the dealership (who quoted me $250 for a flush).

I spent $30 on a filter and gasket (opted for that instead of rtv) plus about $30 for the 5 quarts of ATF+4 that I used (Walmart sells it). So, I still came out to about half price. ;-)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi,

" I purchased a $36 transmission oil pan with a plug (http://a.co/d/f3kcvzM), a $17 dipstick and chart to measure fluid levels (http://a.co/d/cAd6eQw), and a$16 infrared thermometer to get the transmission fluid temperature (http://a.co/d/8vvbnqK)."

Thanks for the links.

Is it necessary to replace the pan each time you change the trans fluid?

Just got quoted $250 by the dealer to change the trans oil and replace the filter.
Guessing I'm showing my age, but I can remember when you could get a transmission overhaul for $300 :)

Gary

1 - 20 of 49 Posts