Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
For my PM, purchased, new, I was simply going to assume the factory fill was correct and then drain out what I can (drain plug in pan method or evacuator) and then replace with the exact same amount of fluid that got removed.

If anyone knows that this simpleton's method is incorrect, please let me know. I still have a lot of driving before I hit say 30K miles or so before I plan to do this so lots of time to think about it. But my Caravan, same transmission as PM, is getting due soon (90,000 Km). Due in my mind that is, because its manual suggests that transmission fluid is lifetime (no replacement necessary) and I'm thinking "er...no.".
Can someone tell me where do I pour in the transmission as I cant find the opening ??

·
Super Moderator
7,428 Posts
The manual says every 60,000 miles - I would suggest every 30,000.
i fill tube is below and sorta in front of the master cyl. It has a plastic red screw on cap (difficult to remove). Look underneath at the trans and then follow the tube up. Also difficult to fill.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Here's a visual,
The fill tube is on the front side of the transmission, there should be a thick wire loom running right across the top of the tube, that's why it's hard to see when looking down.
Here's another visual, except the cap is yellow

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
So an untouched OEM transmission has a red cap? Do they reuse the red cap or do they replace it with the black cap?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My cap was black, took 5.5 quarts after running it just enough to put up on the ramps. The factory made a real mess on the bolt heads with RTV all over the place. My filter came with a gasket so I used that instead of RTV.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm guessing no leaks? How often do you change the fluid?
After 300+ miles no leaks from the gasket, this is my first filter/fluid change at 60k. Also if you were to do the change after letting it sit overnight (already up on the ramps) I am pretty sure you would get almost all of the fluid (9 quarts). Once you crank it the fluid starts pumping up into the transmission, that is why you get about 5.5 quarts on a warm/hot system.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts