Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I do not know if this is the factory alarm.

I have noticed a quirks though. The van will beep once and engage the alarm even though a door is open. I assumed that beep meant everything was secure. The lights still flash multiple times indicating that a door is not closed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
380 Posts
Yeah I noticed it too. My civic won't beep and lock the door if one of the door or hood is open. I was hoping it wouldn't beep when one of the door is open.
I saw an old post on the dealer price list for the factory alarm and its an $245 option. And based on the owner manual, this is the factory alarm. It will honk and flash either if the door open or turn on the car without factory key. Seems kinda a rip off to charge something that is already program into the computer.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 Deisel
5 Posts
This all makes sense. The factory alarm is just software, because it's not like there is a shock sensor or anything associated with it. It simply sets off the horn if the system is armed and a door is opened. The BCM should have all the instructions and access to all the hardware on how to operate the 'alarm'. It's not surprising that it's disabled by default but what they want to charge to enable it is bananas. My dealership quoted me $150 to enable the fog lights I installed. An honest dealership that knows they can 'flip a switch' in the BCM should charge no more than $35 for it. If they know what they're doing it should take them no more than 20 minutes in-and-out for a cool $105/hr charge. All the BCM changes I've done so far (Enable fog lights, Adjust the TPMS, Enable rear speakers on a 2014) would have cost me $450 if I took it to my dealership for each one individually. The OBD dongle/AlfaOBD have already paid for themselves. I'm going to try this alarm option and see if I can save myself another $150 or more (I've already been told by another dealership that it is not possible to "add" the factory alarm).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just noticed there's an option to change tire size.
Since I have bigger tires, I'd like to adjust the size but have no idea if that option works on PM or even which units to use...

Anyone tried this option?

·
Registered
525 Posts
This all makes sense. The factory alarm is just software, because it's not like there is a shock sensor or anything associated with it. It simply sets off the horn if the system is armed and a door is opened. The BCM should have all the instructions and access to all the hardware on how to operate the 'alarm'. It's not surprising that it's disabled by default but what they want to charge to enable it is bananas. My dealership quoted me $150 to enable the fog lights I installed. An honest dealership that knows they can 'flip a switch' in the BCM should charge no more than $35 for it. If they know what they're doing it should take them no more than 20 minutes in-and-out for a cool $105/hr charge. All the BCM changes I've done so far (Enable fog lights, Adjust the TPMS, Enable rear speakers on a 2014) would have cost me $450 if I took it to my dealership for each one individually. The OBD dongle/AlfaOBD have already paid for themselves. I'm going to try this alarm option and see if I can save myself another $150 or more (I've already been told by another dealership that it is not possible to "add" the factory alarm).
Not exactly true, the alarm does have a motion or shock sensor. Let's just say that if you lock the doors with the key fob and then later maybe move around vigorously in the van you will set off the alarm. Believe me it could be embarrassing
And I'll bet but haven't confirmed it if the alarm is triggered you can't start the van.

·
Registered
920 Posts
On my pmc I had when using buttons on key to lock doors the horn sounds....security feature

after three years I had sun come thru the clouds moment......if I I use key to lock door it locks all doors and horn does not sound

this is enlightening

when leaving campsite at koa very helpful
amazing what I might learn next year

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
On pmc the security alarm is under tools symbol....
Then locks and doors....i think u have to scroll down to it....i can only turn it on/off.

My problem was at KOA if I was going to bathrooms from campsite I would have to hit button on key and horn would sound doors lock.
I really did not want to sound horn at 6 am in morning cuse for some reason some people are asleep at that time. I discovered after 3 years I could just manually lock doors by manually locking front door and horn would not sound. Probably some way to do it with button if change the software.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019, 159", High Roof, 2500
104 Posts
adding my voyage into AlfaOBD here too, many thanks to those prior

I am using PC version to BT to OBD Link MX+ to yellow cable for my 2019 / device manager to tell you want com port

took me a few minutes to sort out connecting .. anyone else here using PC version ?
Steps I followed
OBD2 to BT / get blue tooth adapter paired to PC
Launch Alfa oBD2
Start Tab / choose what area to work on / in ECU box click row, then click connect
Status Faults tab / Read System Status
Active Diagnostics Tab / drop down choices / make changes*
(*use at your own risk / this is not financial advice / I like the stock)
Back to START tab / Disconnect

Recommend doing a backup
Body Computer Delphi/Marelli (CAN) / Marelli : RAM PRO MASTER / Proxy tools / Backup proxy configuration
saves local file on PC

Enable fog lights to stay on with high beams
Body Computer Delphi/Marelli (CAN) / Marelli : RAM PRO MASTER / Car configuration change / Front Fog Light Drop-out / Not enabled
(took effect right away / did not have to do a proxy alignment)

Stop key in ignition warning when door open
Body Computer Delphi/Marelli (CAN) / Marelli : RAM PRO MASTER / Car configuration change / Key In Warning / Not enabled

Change radio time out to 180 minutes
Body Computer Delphi/Marelli (CAN) / Marelli : RAM PRO MASTER / Car configuration change / Switch-Off-Time / was 20 changed to 180
Body Computer Delphi/Marelli (CAN) / Marelli : RAM PRO MASTER / PROXY alignment / Start

Seat belts alarm disable
Instrument Panel Marelli (EP) / RAM PRO MASTER / Seat belts alarm disable
Noticed this add a new item of Belt buzzer dash menu

Key and Remote control storage / Anyone sorted this out yet ?

- I have 3 keys but only 2 will run the VAN .. however Alfa says there are 4 keys programmed
WARNING: all the available keys must be stored during the procedure. Any keys that are not stored will be deleted from t1he control unit memory and will become unusable. A maximum of 8 keys can be stored in the memory

Others I am wondering about .. anyone tried these yet ?
all under / Car configuration change

/ DRL Menu Enable
wonder what this enabled for day time running lights ..?
DRL/Turn Light Strategy (enabled or not-enabled)
Speaker Configuration / Front Tweeter and Midwoofer
Speaker Configuration / Front Tweeter and Midwoofer and Rear Full Range
mine is set to 1st setting as I do not have rear speakers but seems this is where we change to add rear speakers ..
/Rear Blower Management
/ TYPE 1 (High Roof)
/ TYPE 0 (Low Roof)
/ TYPE 2
/ TYPE 3
mine is set to TYPE 1 (High Roof), I have a 2500 high roof , wonder if this is mystery button on my dash left of my mode button ?

Others I would note for newbies

Tire pressure control TRW (EP)
/ Front Axle Nominal Tire Pressure Setting
/ Rear Axle Nominal Tire Pressure Setting
/ Program Spare Wheel Tire Sensor ID

Cheers
J

·
Registered
9 Posts
2016 PMC If I use the Link MX+ bluetooth without the Yellow adapter it throws codes and messages. I have the yellow adapter on order. For now I'm just looking to stop the odometer from flashing with a radio swap, I'm guessing a proxy alignment, and stop the horn from beeping when locking the doors with the remote.
It is asking for a 5 digit code that I will have to get from the dealer, (not looking forward to that).
Has anyone fixed the flashing odometer with a proxy alignment?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Seems most of the computer functions in Alfa require yellow cable but not all, such as standard engine diag. Have read suggestion of proxy alignment fixing blinking odometer but not would be nice to have your confirmation when you try it.

As for your 5 digit code, I am really curious what your dealer provides. I am still chasing getting my code to work. I just confirmed that the code I have on print out from dealer is not allowing me to "Login With Code". Support at AlfaOBD suggested I tried / Body Computer / Login with Code. They said if it works I should see "Logged in with Code" in the window title.
--> my result - Login Failed - then AlfaOBD2 connects but without code.

Noted that I was able todo all of the above programming without code, including proxy re-alignment.. however when I try the key programming routine I get - Not Logged in with code message.

Strange since I have the printout from dealer with Electronic ID (5 digit numeric code) and Mechanical code (7 digit, 2 alfa 5 numeric code). I am attaching a copy of what dealer service manager printed out for me without any questions asked after I showed my DL and registration card in my name (I've erased personalized numbers for my van on this copy).

Anyone here able to confirm which code from dealer worked to "Login with Code" on Alfa OBD2 .. maybe also confirm you can start the Key Reprogram unit to confirm your code is really working? Hunting to understand if there is yet another 5 digit code I need to be looking for or if something else is broken here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the Yellow connector and 5 digit code from the dealer. Logged in easily. I removed the base radio and installed a uconnect 5 (I believe, it has a "compass" button) and my odometer started flashing.
I tried the proxy alignment to no avail.
Now, I think there are other things to be done before doing the proxy. I believe you need to make BCM changes telling it that it's supposed to have a uconnect 5, then do the alignment?
I plan on putting an aftermarket radio in and am wondering if with the alphaobd you can completely remove the radio out of the BCM check as there is no option for the BCM to recognize an aftermarket radio as normal.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Tepco,
What year is your Promaster? Are you sure your login code is working, does Alfa say logged in with code when you connect to Body Computer? What I saw with Alfa login with code gives error, then alfa connects without code and I could make all of the changes above. However when I try to go into key program I get that error. Support at Alfa just had me send log and confirmed SGW seems to be blocking initial code login. Mine is 2019 (born 11-2018 as per sticker on door) .

If yours is same year or newer then likely has SGW too. Two reasons I ask; 1. to level set what I am seeing in my setup and 2. confirm if you also have a SGW in your setup as another variable. Do note that I was able to perform a proxy align during my adjustments above, even though my code login was not working, so you having a SGW or not might not matter in long run.

For the radio change you are looking at doing, wonder if there is a setting in Body Computer / Set Options that you need to change too ?

thx
J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is a 2016 PMC if I try to log in without the code it trips several check engine lights and service soon info. When I log in with the code all is good. When I do a proxy alignment, it trips my service hill assist and abs lights which I have to then clear all fault codes.
I think if I just do a proxy align with the newer radio a uconnect 5 from a 2018 PMC its just "aligning" with the original still so it doesn't work and keeps my odo flashing. I think I need to reprogram the BCM first for the newer radio then proxy align.
Problem is going to be, when I get the new aftermarket radio, what do I reprogram the BCM to?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
No idea if this is the way or not, I did see this in settings. would suggest you take a proxy backup before changing. When you start a change to the process it will tell you how it is set, take note so you can set it back.

Body Computer -> Car Configuration Change -> Audio System Type

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is what mine looks like but not sure which one to check.
I have already done a backup but it doesn't seem anywhere as long as back ups I've seen on line. Go instance I don't show radio settings in the back up.

·
Registered
2020-159 HR Camper Conversion
14 Posts
I haven't had any luck with my 2020 using Alfaobd (PC version), OBDLINK MX+, and yellow cable from the ebay link. I didn't input any codes. I'm getting the following messages: "no data received from ECU/Interface or data corrupted" and "no control unit confirmation received for the write request" (see images). It also is stating "this usually means an OBD interface issue...you might need to use a different OBD interface." Has anyone received these messages?

I know some 2019s have had success...so I was hopeful. I'm thinking maybe FCA did not include the Security Gateway Module in the (2018-2019s).

Have any 2020s successfully used this software to make changes (radio, tpms, fog lights)?
obd.PNG obd2.PNG obd3.PNG

·
Registered
152 Posts
I haven't had any luck with my 2020 using Alfaobd (PC version), OBDLINK MX+, and yellow cable from the ebay link. I didn't input any codes. I'm getting the following messages: "no data received from ECU/Interface or data corrupted" and "no control unit confirmation received for the write request" (see images). It also is stating "this usually means an OBD interface issue...you might need to use a different OBD interface." Has anyone received these messages?

I know some 2019s have had success...so I was hopeful. I'm thinking maybe FCA did not include the Security Gateway Module in the (2018-2019s).

Have any 2020s successfully used this software to make changes (radio, tpms, fog lights)?
View attachment 73912 View attachment 73913 View attachment 73914
2020 and later come with SGW module that Prevents direct connection to ECU and probably other components.
I believe you need a special "bypass cable" that requires alterations of factory wiring.
I remember seeing some information on subject on AlfaOBD site.
Also, assuming the procedure is similar for all FCA vehicles, you can refer to AlfaOBD section of Ram Trucks forum (the rest of FCA vehicles have SGW since 2018).

61 - 80 of 81 Posts