Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought AlfaOBD to use on my Ram truck so I could activate the trailer brake controller. Worked great using a cheap Amazon ODB reader. It's an amazing program!

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
380 Posts
I bought AlfaOBD to use on my Ram truck so I could activate the trailer brake controller. Worked great using a cheap Amazon ODB reader. It's an amazing program!
Were you able to get it to work on the Promaster too? Also do you remember the brand or link to the obd2 reader. From what i read the cheaper obd reader is hit or missed so it will be nice to know which brand you got. thanks

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
351 Posts
Were you able to get it to work on the Promaster too? Also do you remember the brand or link to the obd2 reader. From what i read the cheaper obd reader is hit or missed so it will be nice to know which brand you got. thanks
I haven't tried it on the PM yet, it's been in the shop for two months now.

I will check the ODB brand tomorrow.

Reactions: Uvan

·
Registered
351 Posts
Reactions: Uvan

·
Registered
326 Posts
So I’ve got the yellow adapter cable. Went to the dealer to get my pin code and they said it doesn’t have one... They did give me some set of numbers, but none of them are a 4 digit code. Hmmmm....

While I was there(getting an oil change & rotation) I asked about decreasing the tpms light threshold. Took a bit to find the right person, but they were able to do it. While they were in there I asked to make a few other tweaks as well: fog lights on with high beams, longer stereo timeout, and no warning light for using led bulbs. They were not able to make any of those changes. In fact, those weren’t even options available on there software. I was there with them looking at all the options, so it’s true. The only exception was the radio setting - it might be there, but the factory software couldn’t access mine because I have aftermarket stereo.

So apparently Alfa obd has more adjustments available than the dealer software. I guess I’ll slowly continue down that road(I don’t have any android devices or windows computer). Though I’m a bit concerned that they said my van doesn’t have a pin...

Anyone have any thoughts? @bahawton ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I called my dealer for the PIN and it worked. They also told me FCA told them to stop providing this info a couple years ago so lean on them.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
131 Posts
Anyone got it to work with a 2018 year?
I just got the yellow cable but can't make the connection. When it try to connect, my dash will beep and a message "Service Air Bag" will show up. Then the message will disappear after a few second. It will do the same thing without using the yellow cable on options that require yellow cable. The only connection it made was "engine" option but that doesn't require a yellow cable. I'm using a wifi OBD2 reader and it work fine with my other obd2 apps. I don't know if my yellow cable is defective or some other issue. I waited three and half month for it ship from China probably due to the Covid thing so I really don't want to order from another seller to have the same thing happen.
I just picked up a 2019, and my old ELM327 let me access the Engine settings, but it wouldn't let me access anything that needed the yellow adapter. I got the same "SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM" error. I bought the OBDLink LX, and I can access them all now.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
380 Posts
Most likely too good to be true....but I will see if it works.

The yellow cable should work, i got some cheap ebay one that was under 5 dollar shipped. The only issue is the obd scanner, I tried a couple amazon scanners and none were compliable with the Alfaobd app. They all were able to scan for codes and live stream data with another obd app but I couldn't connect on the alfaobd app. But maybe this one will work. For $22 that is a good deal.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
267 Posts
Thanks to info in this thread. Was able to used the AlfaOBD with the BT OBDLink LX, connected with the yellow adapter. Changed the TPMS setting to 50 psi all around, running 60 psi on a mid to light build. Changed the radio off delay to 60 min and fog lights to on any time. No key codes required, did try a different BT OBD link that didn't work.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
267 Posts
What other feature/settings have others changed? Also if anyone is in SE Virginia, heading to VaBeach or OBX and wants to try the cable, app and the OBDLink, let me know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
After having a having a FixD OBD device that did not work, I purchased and OBDLink MX+ from Amazon and the cable package on ebay. The alfaOBD demo did not work without the yellow cable and with the cable it would not let me change things. With the $49 full version I was able to
  • Add lock horn beep (Body Computer, Car Config Change, Horn Chirp)
  • Stop seatbelt off buzzer (Instrument Panel)
  • Stop key in ignition warning when door open (Body Computer, Car Config Change, Key in Warning)
The one I am having trouble with is the radio.
  • Change radio time to 180 minutes (Body Computer, Car Config Change, Switch off)

I have tried 60 minutes and 180 minutes, Changing it with the radio on and radio off, checking right after doing the change, 5 minutes, 20 minutes and an hour after but the change does not seem to take.

Also I have not found is a way to allow the rear view camera to be on when driving.

·
Registered
371 Posts
... try your radio to see if the new shut off time shows if not you might need to do proxy alignment.
I went back and reread the instructions and noticed this near the end this time. I found the proxy alignemnt and after that the second button on the radio screen now reads 180 minutes and I have verified it stays on on for at least 50 minutes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Does anybody know of a IOS app that allows access to promaster BCM features like seat belt warnings and tire pressure monitors horn honk on arm etc?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Does anybody know of a IOS app that allows access to promaster BCM features like seat belt warnings and tire pressure monitors horn honk on arm etc?
If you can't find an app for the iPhone, you could pick up an old andriod phone cheap or even buy one new for about $30 at Walmart.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Our van does not have an factory alarm system. However as I was poking around I noticed that there was a menu for alarm. I selected enable and then did a proxy alignmnet and now the horn honks if a door is opened after it is locked with the remote.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
380 Posts
Our van does not have an factory alarm system. However as I was poking around I noticed that there was a menu for alarm. I selected enable and then did a proxy alignmnet and now the horn honks if a door is opened after it is locked with the remote.
Interesting on the alarm feature, I never run the proxy alignment. What is the purpose of it. I assuming its not complicated to run the proxy alignment, following the on screen instructions??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Interesting on the alarm feature, I never run the proxy alignment. What is the purpose of it. I assuming its not complicated to run the proxy alignment, following the on screen instructions??
I found that the radio on time change would not stick unless I did the Proxy Alignment. As I recall its on the same menu as as Car Configuration. The alarm may have worked with out doing it but easy to just run it after making the mod.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
380 Posts
Thanks the tip on the new mod, I have an alarm now. This app is amazing. I wonder if this is the factory alarm??

41 - 60 of 81 Posts