Ram Promaster Forum banner

225 to 245 tire change?

49242 Views 72 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Swamplizard
Why do folks want to change to the 245 tire? I think they are about 3/4 inch wider. Are they taller also? I see where some of the 245s are rubbing the fenders. Better stability? Softer ride? Just better lookin'? More choices? Seems like 225 tire would get the better mpg, just guessing.
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

· Registered
850 Posts
Ah yes - my 245 Michelin Defenders resist seating in the spare compartment, cable lift is not strong enough to seat them & latch the cable without using the scissors jack as a booster - note that is both going up AND lowering it, pin the wheel up and let the cable out some to let down the spare. My tire has been superceded (not available now in 121 3200# load) but "latest generation" in 111 2400# w/ same tread is 9.8" section width and 30.4" overall diameter...

Otherwise minimal rub near full lock turn, horrible snow traction (extra width & highway tread) have to keep them above stock tire pressures as sidewalls are so soft the van quivers like jello on stock steel rims....

· Registered
67 Posts
➡ IT IS OFFICIAL GUYS, we are on YouTube!!! ??

Our YouTube channel will be very similar to our IG page, just showing the world what vanlife looks like from our perspective plus DIY van build and repairs. ?

Our VERY 1st VIDEO is about how we modified our rear wheel well when we upgraded our stock tires to BFGoodrich KO2s. ?

We wanted to give insight to the community on how we solved this issue, since we couldn’t locate a single video on YouTube on how to do this. ?‍?

Check it out on our page Lindsey and Danny Vanlife... and don’t forget to subscribe ?

FOLLOW US right meow ?

https://instagram.com/lindseyanddannyvanlife?igshid=1vpsstw928mym
Perfect, just followed you guys! Great content from the quick browse

· Registered
259 Posts
OE Nexens are toast. Thinking 245’s, but what do people do for the spare? Since 245’s are more common and often cheaper than 225, it almost covers the cost of the spare! Will it fit? Cuz if I kept the OE 225 spare, running that with 245’s seems like a bad idea.
On my transit I also put on the larger BFG T/A KO2s and the tire guys all told me it would not be a big deal to keep the slightly smaller spare for emergencies. Just don’t run it longer than you have to and drive responsibly. It was a great tire for us even in significant snow.

· Registered
442 Posts
I just switched the oem nexens out for some KO2’s. I went 245 70 and they fit almost like the stock. Maybe a hair bigger, no rubbing. I definitely notice a bit of road noise, but I think it’s more “different” than “bad.”

· Registered
209 Posts
I have a question for people who installed BFG KO2s in 245-75/16 (or comparable All Terrain tires).

While everybody is talking about clearance at the rear wheel wells, what about the front?
What happens when steering wheel is turned all the way? Are you able to maintain the same turning radius? Do the tires rub anything?

· Registered
3 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you mak
They absolutely will fit no problem, but on a wheel with the stock offset. It's your wheel offset that is causing that clearance issue. There are lots of us that run that exact tire without any clearance issues except some people like me that trim a small plastic section inside the wheel well to give extra clearance for mud and looks. You are not correct stating that that tire won't fit.
We recently got our converted 2019 Promaster. (We’re ready to hit the road!)
We bought the BFG ko2 245/75/16 tires as recommended by the conversion company. We got them put on today but one of them won’t fit at all. It’s right up against the front of the rear wheel well. The passenger rear side BARELY fits. I can’t even get my pinky through the gap, it’s that close to the front of the wheel well.
Can someone help me understand what options there are at this point?
We like the 245/75/16 tires, but we really somehow need more room for clearance. Any tips??
Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you mak
Thank you both. I have done a search on the forum and saw that some people trim the fender, so I suppose my question should be are there different ways to do this? Would a body shop do this if I’m not that confident in my mechanic skills or is this usually just done on one’s own? Do people trim and get a lift kit?

I searched the forum and saw the topics hadn’t been discussed in a few years so I was curious if there were any new information or suggestions.
Thank you both for your help and the video!

· Registered
209 Posts
Thank you both. I have done a search on the forum and saw that some people trim the fender, so I suppose my question should be are there different ways to do this? Would a body shop do this if I’m not that confident in my mechanic skills or is this usually just done on one’s own? Do people trim and get a lift kit?

I searched the forum and saw the topics hadn’t been discussed in a few years so I was curious if there were any new information or suggestions.
Thank you both for your help and the video!
From what I know there are two methods.
One is simply to "hammer" the bulging piece or cut it out (I would choose the latter).
After both you'll have "form" the plastic trim using heat gun.
From what I can see these bulging pieces of metal are just overlaps of welded seams. I believe these overlaps have no important function and can be safely removed. But, it's probably a good idea to ask body shop technician if our assumption is correct (please report back if you do).

In addition, I would be to cover/mask all surrounding surfaces if using grinder to cut the metal (people do not realize what damage hot metal sparks can do). Also make sure to purchase "paint fix-up kit" matching your vehicle (get it from the dealership for $20) to paint all exposed metal parts before installing the trim back.

· Registered
'17 136 HT Black
332 Posts
I ordered Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/75 today at a local shop. A concern they brought up was faster wear in the middle because the tire is slightly arched up.
I don't have much weight in my van, so I don't anticipate rubbing. If so I'll bust out the grinder.

· Registered
10 Posts
I just switched the oem nexens out for some KO2’s. I went 245 70 and they fit almost like the stock. Maybe a hair bigger, no rubbing. I definitely notice a bit of road noise, but I think it’s more “different” than “bad.”
Hi, do these tires meet the load ratings of the vehicle? I love the idea of a wider tire. thanks.

· Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
2,235 Posts
I get that people want a wider tire. More power to you. But why stay with the "75" aspect ratio? That makes the tire bigger around and causes the speedo to be off, gearing to be lower, as well as the rubbing.

I guess it does give you 0.6" higher ride.

Using the calculator at: Custom wheels, rim tire packages

If you used a 245 70 R16 you still get the width, but you do not get the larger diameter and its associated problems (rubbing, lower gear ratio, speedo off):

· Registered
117 Posts
From my research on tires:

225/75/16
245/65/17
265/55/18

if installed on the Promaster will have minimal impact on speed accuracy, within +/- 3 MPH of indicated speed of 225/75/16 tires.

I will probably get the 245/65/17 for my van.

· Registered
44 Posts
245 70’s have no issues.
But how did you find a KO2 245 70 16 that was rated to at least 2,600 lbs/wheel for nonPmetric sizes and 2,900 for Pmetric sizes? Every KO2 I pull up in that size is load rated below the stock wheel's E rating and load capacity. When adding the weight of a build of really any sort is not going to do so well when pushed at highway speed. I could be off here but after perusing this forum today and the past few... it seems like you want an E load wheel and 245/75/16 works for some and doesn't work for others, mainly due to aftermarket rim offset and/or lifts or suspension modifications.

Why does this need to be so hard? : ) 2021 3500 159 EXT Promaster with Heavy Duty and RV package. 6" aluminum stock rims. Will 245 75 16 E rated BFG KO2's even work on a 6" rim? I think they need the 6.5" min according to Discount Tire... If they can fit the stock 6" rim, will they fit without modification to the rear wheel wells and when at full turn, will there be no rubbing....

Or would a D rated tire with the following specs work on the 6" stock rim? What about the Load Range, Max Load and Load Index. We are building a pretty light camper set up but there will easily be 1200lbs added payload when fueled, watered, and loaded up.
  • Size: LT245/70R16
  • Load Range: D
  • Max. Load= 2,535 lbs
    Max psi= 65 psi
  • Serv. Desc: 113/110S
  • Load Index 113= 2,561 lbs (1,164 kg) per tire
    Load Index 110= 2,337 lbs (1,060 kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “S”= 112 mph (180 kph)
  • Severe Snow Service Rated

41 - 60 of 73 Posts