Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
greetings,
here is a tire size comparison calculator for your doodling pleasure. It is what i have used on each of my builds.

I decided to stick with the stock size on our 2017 PM (225/75r16) but put on BFG KO2 all season/all terrain that really make a big difference IMO on handling and looks. With all the wet road conditions i must endure on the Oregon Coast i always side with narrow tires to cut through the standing water (we get ~80" a year rainfall).

Looks fine to me : )

Thom
Not to derail from the tire discussion, but what are those screens you have on your windows? I like the privacy!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Because they look so much better. I don't want to look like I'm driving a work van because I'm not. There is a noise increase with any AT tire compared to the HWY tires these vans come with. I have the new BFGs and yes they are louder but my van is very insulated so it's not a big deal. And yes my speedo is off by about 4 mph or so.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
452 Posts
THEY DON'T FIT 245/75/ r16
had to re-order 225/70/16 ****!uj

had to re
They absolutely will fit no problem, but on a wheel with the stock offset. It's your wheel offset that is causing that clearance issue. There are lots of us that run that exact tire without any clearance issues except some people like me that trim a small plastic section inside the wheel well to give extra clearance for mud and looks. You are not correct stating that that tire won't fit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They absolutely will fit no problem, but on a wheel with the stock offset. It's your wheel offset that is causing that clearance issue. There are lots of us that run that exact tire without any clearance issues except some people like me that trim a small plastic section inside the wheel well to give extra clearance for mud and looks. You are not correct stating that that tire won't fit.
I respectfully disagree. I have the stock offset size. I would have to cut the metal fender to get it to fit. My tire shop guys told me I would be nuts to cut the fender . My 2019 the axle is a little more forward.

here is the 225

·
Registered
25 Posts
post a pic please! I would love to see what was done and the gap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why do folks want to change to the 245 tire?
At 3,800 miles, I bought 245 Michelin tires for my 2500 long & tall ProMaster because the original tires were TERRIBLE in mud and wet grass. We live on a ranch and I often have to drive out in the pastures.

I've put about 4,000 miles on the Michelin tires since installation, and they are vastly superior for what I need. I haven't had any rubbing, despite hitting some serious pot holes and carrying modest loads and they are quieter and seem to give a softer ride on highways here, where our speed limits are 80 MPH on some roads.

·
Registered
452 Posts
post a pic please! I would love to see what was done and the gap.
I don't mean to argue but it appears from your pictures those wheels are not the stock offset or width.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It looks like they stick out of the wheel well quite a bit. As I said before lots of people run those tires in that size with no problems. You have some other issue and your wheel set is probably it. They will fit without any trimming on most vans, some people have a little rubbing on big hits where the plastic on the inside of the rear wheel well is close to the tire. Mine never rubbed but I still trimmed the plastic just for a little extra space. It took me 5 minutes with my cut off wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yep could be a combination of the rim also....One thing I see, your tire is absolutely perfectly centered into your wheel well. With the 245/75R16 set up I had 1/8" clearance in the front and about 1.5" in the back (if I would remove the mud flap like yours).

Its just a good note to other promaster owners, if you plan on trying this setup DON'T buy your tires on line. If you do and have issues such as mine , It could cost you a great deal of money to ship them back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm looking to get BFG LT245x75xR16s and ULTRA® - 450 TOIL Satin Black Wheels with Clear Coat (16" x 6.5", +45 Offset, 5x130 Bolt Pattern. Can anyone tell me if this an acceptable offset for the 2017 2500?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mack, My wheels on my Promaster are the Moto metal with the +45 mm offset setup (they required new lugs also). If you try 245 make sure the tires are returnable, Some say it works, but for me it did not (see above). uckly my dealer took them back, he said normally a tire mounted cant be returned , but he said he was going to put the sickers back on and try. This effort cost me an extra $150 in trial an error. live and learn. Try one on the rear first!!!!

BTW I used the Toil on my Transit... They looked great, I had kept the stock tires on it. (see below)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hightechcoonas, Thanks for the reply and photos. Same offset but that doesn't explain the clearance issue and should still be close to center in the wheelwell. Perhaps the rear suspension has been altered by Winnebago for a softer ride??? Now that I have seen both wheels mounted, I like the Moto Metals better. Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought them from rimzone because I wanted them shipped from the nearest dealer. That did not matter , they shipped from the company warehouse in California.

About the sizing... i will quit talking about them not fitting- try your luck - post your pics!

·
Registered
20 Posts
➡ IT IS OFFICIAL GUYS, we are on YouTube!!! 👏🏼

Our YouTube channel will be very similar to our IG page, just showing the world what vanlife looks like from our perspective plus DIY van build and repairs. 🔨

Our VERY 1st VIDEO is about how we modified our rear wheel well when we upgraded our stock tires to BFGoodrich KO2s. 😎

We wanted to give insight to the community on how we solved this issue, since we couldn’t locate a single video on YouTube on how to do this. 👨‍💻

Check it out on our page Lindsey and Danny Vanlife... and don’t forget to subscribe 😉

FOLLOW US right meow 😼

https://instagram.com/lindseyanddannyvanlife?igshid=1vpsstw928mym

·
Registered
25 Posts
Saying the tires fit, I just had to do a little fender trimming.
..... is sort of like saying...
These tires fit on the rim fine, you just have to stretch them a little.:p

21 - 38 of 38 Posts