Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after two years of camping in our Honda pilot we have finally upgraded to a promaster van! This wasn't the first vehicle choice in the dream for my wife and myself to take some time off from our jobs and travel across Canada and around the US. We thought we would just buy some cheap used sprinter van that would do the trick. Only to learn that they all have lots of kilometers and don't very often get sold for cheap. So then it was try out the ford/chevy route and get a hi top put on but again people don't trade in vehicles often with low kilometers. After three months of loosing out on vehicles we paid a visit to a dealership with a new promaster and what can I say he had us at " do you want a test ride".
Now the next step beings, time to make a van that works for us.
I have dozens of build questions but I will save those for a different thread on another day.
This site is such a great resource! Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome fellow Islander. I think I've seen that black van, there's not many that colour! Mid-Island?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, read the threads on insulation before anything else!
It is all the various threads on insulation that are leaving me with the most questions. There are so many variations done that its hard to know what will work best for me. I am leaning to polyiso and thinsulate on hard to cover areas?

Welcome fellow Islander. I think I've seen that black van, there's not many that colour! Mid-Island?
I am in Campbell River so maybe there is another black promaster out there?.

Welcome. We will be on Vancouver Island in October. Perhaps we could meet up.
A meet up would be great I would appreciate seeing other peoples builds and sharing in my knowledge of beautiful Vancouver Island while you are here.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I’ll make a suggestion. Buy 3 sheets of 1/2 inch polyisocyanurate at H-D or Lowes, use it to insulate the floor, no need for sound insulation or filling the gaps in the ridges, cover with 1/2” hardwood plywood, paint. Use sound deadener over the wheel wells or box them in with 1/2” plywood. Buy 4-5 sheets of 1” polyisocyanurate and 10 linear feet of Hein’s Thinsulate, a great stuff progun, 2 cans of Gaps and Cracks foam. Cut the 1” loosely into the wall openings, apply verticle stripes of foam, hold in place with sticks braced across, fill the edges with small bead of foam. Wait. Ceiling same system. Scissors to cut the thinsulate into strips and an opened wire coat hanger to pull them into the ribs.
The rest is the details. Time?- 2 work days if you work. A month if you think about it.
Then cover the ceiling with carpet or headliner material and cover the ribs with varnished plywood strips- DONE there.

http://www.impact3d.com/thinsulate.htm

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We just finished the polyiso treatment on walls and ceiling. It turns out polyiso is rare on the west coast of Canada. On the island, the only place we found it was Nanaimo Lowe's (1" only). We opted for Great Stuff Doors & Windows instead of Gaps & Cracks. HD carries both. D&W glues and fills fine, but it cures spongy so there's no possibility of body deformation. Putting 1" polyiso on the ceiling requires some notching around the cross-rib flanges in order to stay flush with the bottom of the cross-ribs. But, the cutting and notching can be fairly quick and dirty since the spray foam fills in the gaps. Then you have a smooth ceiling base to apply whatever finish surface you want. We are going with 1" polyiso and 1/2" plywood on the floor, but that comes later in our case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts