Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one looks nice. It has a BMS that can handle 100 amp continuous output (with 200 amp 30 second surge), high or low voltage cutoff, high and most importantly LOW temp cut off. This provides a solution to a problem of charging the batteries in cold weather. This was a function I was looking for on charger and solar charge controllers, so it's nice to see it actually built into the battery. The brand (Battle Born Batteries) is newer for the commercial market and has been around for less than a year:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/

I called them today asking about BMS drain and they didn't give me a rate over the phone, but they said "very little". For the price, I might want to give them a try.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
Hi Matt,

If you call them again, please ask them where the 3000 to 5000 cycles comes from. What kind of test or real world data? It seems to me this is really the key on whether its worth it to pay the big money. I know they weigh half as much, and free up some space, and do higher current... but, if they don't last the life of the van it just seems like an awful lot of money.

Even if you only get 2000 cycles and use the van 60 days a year (a lot for RVs), thats 33 years! So, for typical RV use, they would not really have to live up to the 3K cycles to be a lifetime battery -- but it would be nice to see some real data to support those high cycle claims? Is there lifespan limit for batteries that are not cycled frequently (like RV service)?

I think you should buy a set and let us know in 33 years if they are still running :)

Gary

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never buy into the claims of rated cycles on any battery because they estimate those figures based on optimal conditions and usually do a minimal discharge (90%) and recharging at a slow rate (neither of which I plan on doing). I want lithium for the ability to do high amp discharge for an induction cooktop. However most other options I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to handle cold weather charging. AM Solar offers some solution they came up with sensors and relays and you need to use victron batteries along with a victron battery monitor. This battery cold disconnect seems to be right in the BMS which is in the battery and it's on of the cheaper options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just received the two I ordered the other day. We are still in the early days of converting our new Promaster but will taking it to Idaho for the eclipse next month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts