Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to pick up a used Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger for a really great price-almost free and just trying to determine if I should really use this in my future PM build. It's a modified sine wave and expect that it could run some 110v items fine but I'm just wondering if I should buy a pure sine wave invertor to supply sockets that will power laptops or other electronics that need a pure sine wave and use the Xantrex unit to run everything else. I haven't purchased a remote panel or battery monitor and just to get some opinions before I go down a path in error. What considerations should I take into account?

Proposed electrical items:
Dometic AC -Shore Power only
Induction Cooktop Brand not determined yet
Instant Pot 3qt 800W
Cheap percolator coffee pot
Hair Dryer ?

All other powered items will be 12v

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
... but I'm just wondering if I should buy a pure sine wave invertor to supply sockets that will power laptops or other electronics that need a pure sine wave
Your laptop is connected to 120V power through a power supply. The power supply plugs into 120V AC and drops the voltage to 12-20V and converts it to DC. Because the power supply is ouputting DC, it is not very fussy about the 120V AC coming into it, because it's going to get converted to DC anyway. Any inverter should be fine.

The induction cooktop, OTOH, uses 120V AC in to create a sine wave that will be used to magnetically induce the materials in the cooking pot. It is much fussier with it's need for quality incoming AC.

In my experience with modified sine wave inverters, the items that have had an issue with MSW inverters have been high load AC devices like induction cooktops and microwave ovens. My microwave makes some buzzing but survives and cooks well on MSW, but I tried a few induction cooktops and had problems. The better the quality of the induction cooktop, the fussier it seems to be in wanting PSW power.

Anything that uses a wall wart (which usually converts high voltage AC to low voltage DC) has worked perfectly with a MSW inverter.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
12 volt power supplies for computers are a better choice. The Ms. and I have a Macbook Air and a Pro. We bought such a charger with the magsafe attached. For PC’s they should be cheap. This way you use less power and don’t need the inverter turned on. In fact we have a TV, hot pot and are thinking about a slow cooker that use 12 volt. I have used my MSW inverter a couple of times to vacuum or run a small saw but not for camping. We could easily do without it. No NUKE oven or induce hotplate- Butane.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes - a smaller pure sine wave (PSW) is good housekeeping.

There is a style of cordless tool 12-18V chargers that die horribly when fed modified sine wave (MSW) input, some not all will be smoked.

MSW may cause interference jumping across everything since everything expects (PSW), this is hit and miss too.

Radio/audio equipment, televisions, florescent lighting, transformers & motors all disagree with MSW.

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the good feedback and items to consider. No I'm not sure I feel so good about getting a good deal on this Freedom 458. Should I scrap this heavy paperweight or still use it for all the other functions it gives (Shore Power Pass Through/Battery Charging/Automatic shutdown) and supplement it with a small (PSW)? I don't think I'll be on shore power much and will rely on solar/mppt/agm or FLD batteries.

Will I destroy my electronics if I test them using (MSW)? I've got a 2009 IMAC 27 that I may take on the road and am cautious on testing it out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Should I scrap this heavy paperweight or still use it for all the other functions it gives (Shore Power Pass Through/Battery Charging/Automatic shutdown) and supplement it with a small (PSW)?
Having two inverters seems cumbersome. Why not obtain a slightly larger pure sine wave inverter with those same desired functions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts