Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 136WB HR
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I would like to get an advise. Would you guys buy a refurbished PM in general and this one in particular? It is sold by small mom and pop shop and repair quality may not be up to high standard. On the other side they have it for sale for 7 months and I guess that all bad painting would show up in rust spots, if any. I can see potentional proublemes in the future:
  • paint
  • alignment
  • body structure.
How can I check if airbag was actually replaced and system was not just fooled by removing fuses?
Thank you for your time and advises
Pictures damaged and repaired:
cgfhfgh.jpg
cgjcghj.jpg
gjcgj.jpg
jcgj.jpg
repaired 1.JPG
repaired 2.JPG
repaired 3.JPG
repaired 4.JPG
repaired 5.JPG

·
Registered
2018 136WB HR
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KOV,
thank you for quick reply. Can you see pictures? I thought that pictures show the damage. My main question is if folks think this damages are fatal and even if repaired will cause problems in future. May be I should word my question as Do you think these damages are not reparable.
it is 2017, 136WB, 6,000 miles, they are asking CAD 27,000 (USD 19,000). I am thinking about offering CAD20,000/USD14,000 if all the concerns will go away.

·
Super Moderator
10,653 Posts
Sorry I didn’t see the damage on my iPad. It’s been all repaired tho according to the other photos - correct? It looks as if they fixed it ok but hard to tell from photos. There are lots of expensive parts in that front corner that could have been damaged and no guarantee they were all fixed correctly. It’s a short wb 136 with no windows, what about options?
I think you’re asking for a lot of unforeseen problems down the line, perhaps, but probably safe enough. Is it safe to assume the airbag(s) went off also? If they bought it at a salvage auction it probably has a salvage title.
Botyom line - if you could get it for C$20k the price would be good for sure if it was never hit but as you say you could be opening yourself up for a lot of future problems. This is the kind of vehicle you should by "as is" and have repaired yourself so you know it’s done right. If you plan to just drive it that’s one thing but I don’t think I would buy it to spend a lot of time and money on a conversion. Also, what would a comparable one that was never hit with similar miles be worth on the open market? Can you afire to re-fix anything done wrong or poorly in the future?
In the end only you can decide It’s real value to you. It could be a winner or a loser.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about that level of damage having done anything serious. The plastic on the front would crumple so easily I doubt it caused much structural damage. I’d ask the following:

Rebuilt (salvage) title- if so -$5,000
Airbags deployed? -if so and rebuilt title -$2,000
Did they have the alignment checked? if not- $500

I think it might be a great van at CA $20,000, and is probably worth more.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,827 Posts
Alexx

I just don’t know. Other than the KOV & RD comments above that I agree with, here are my thoughts;

How much is a 2020 Same model/options? The repaired 2017 has what left on warranty (time / kms)? Is there any warranty on the repairs, & how is that backed up (vendor’s / repairer’s insurance or bond)? What “paper” will the sellers be willing to cough up ( I would be wanting this before offering $$ and don’t be shy to ask for paper they wont want you to have ).

Canada / BC unemployment prior to Covid 5% ,,, NOW in BC 11% in Vancouver 17% & that is not the worse in the country.

I could be wrong (very wrong), but I believe “stuff” especially non-essential toys are about to become cheap - fire sale cheap. In my lifetime I have not seem an economic perfect storm like this

If you are a Buyer you are “In the Driver’s Seat”.

Whatever you do, negotiate with business skills rather than emotions.

1 way of looking at it is this;

2020 price is what? Also realise companies can buy these fleet substantially less (like $6,000 to $7,000 less than sticker)
Deduct the 1st 10,000 kms valued at @ .65 to .75 is a reduction of $6,500 to $7,500
Deduct the damage is worth $???
Deduct the reduced warranty is worth $???
Deduct a “hassle or gamble” factor $??

Tell the seller’s nothing about yourself or your situation (nothing). Explain to them the above and what you are willing to pay & why. The more paper & bonded or insured warranty the less you value the deductions above.

The $20,000 Can for that van; I can’t really know if that is a good deal or not.

Whatever you decide - Good Luck !!

edit; note - all figures in CAD dollars & kilometers (not USA $$ or miles).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If the van only has 6k miles, I'm wondering why the insurance Co. totalled it out, instead of simply fixing it, if the damage was only cosmetic.
Damages have to be at 75% or above the value of the vehicle before they will total it. So, if the actual market value of that vehicle is $20k, there had to be $15k or more in damage for the insurance co. to total it.
That means there was a lot more damaged than the cosmetics on the outside.
You will have trouble getting insurance on a salvaged vehicle with extensive mechanical repairs. At least full coverage.
And the resale value will always be horrible.
I'd stay away from it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Also, if you're not paying cash, you might have a hard time getting a bank to finance a salvaged vehicle.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
BTW, even though I'm a super genius and all that, I can't take credit for knowing any of that.
My wife has been a claims adjuster for the better part of 2 decades and knows more than she cares to about injuries and damaged vehicles.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,827 Posts
BTW, even though I'm a super genius and all that, I can't take credit for knowing any of that.
My wife has been a claims adjuster for the better part of 2 decades and knows more than she cares to about injuries and damaged vehicles.
Hey Super Genius, Go to All the Parties and take All the Credit” says Les Grossman (Tropical Thunder).

RnR I think those are extremely valid points you wrote 👍

·
Registered
2018 136WB HR
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for you advises.
KOV,
this is a very base mode. No back up camera. here is link to the ad:
I can see deployed side air bag hanging from above on driver's side.
They bought it on a salvage action.
I wand to convert it to an RV.

RD,
you formula brings price even more down :)

RV8R,
warranty is 30ceconds or 30 feet:)
surprisingly market is not dead. There were 2 x 2019 PM 3500 159WB in Lethbridge for $35K and they were gone within 3 days. I checked good priced PM with Driving Force and it was bought before I came to test drive it.
My plan was to buy next spring but I am ready to buy now if the prices are at the bottom. Looks like they are not.

RnR,
vehicle was registered in British Colombia and I was told that insurance companies like to wright vehicles off ecpesially if air bag was deployed. Thank you for the tip: I will check with my insurance if they insure vehicles with salvage status. And then think again.

thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
10,653 Posts
You might want to have a good, qualified mechanic look at it first if you do decide to go for it. It could be minor damage or not. I would also ask to see receipts for the parts. Front end damage can go either way and while it might be a real "steal" it might not be and just looking at photos isn't good enough (IMHO).

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think RnR (or his genius wife) hit this directly on the nail. Too cheap for a mostly new (6k miles) cargo van to sit for over 6 months. Something is wrong with it.

Tradesmen would buy it without the airbags. They can often add vehicles to a fleet policy without too much thought from insurers. Deployed airbags are a minor flaw to anyone other than the insurance company (and some people who haven't been punched by airbags before).

I hate airbags. I don't know many people who get punched by them and still think they're helpful. Dangerous for pets and kids (and people who don't like being punched) Been it accidents where they didn't exist, were disabled, or otherwise didn't go off. Been in others where not only did the accident suck, but my vehicle decided to punch me in the face as a bonus. I disable them on everything I drive anyway. I wear my seatbelt though and not just because the PM has the most annoying seatbelt reminder out there.

Edit: sorry for the airbag rant. I don't believe that's the culprit for the price tag though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just an idea on why it was totaled. Dealer told the insurance company that none of the parts to repair it were in stock and would be at least a 6 month wait. ;-)
I would want it thoroughly inspected by a qualified mechanic though. You don't know if they cheesed out on any of the work and hid it under new plastic.
20 years we had our car rear ended and the body shop tore the crap out of the sheet metal under the car pulling the rear end out to straighten it. Insurance company should have totaled the car but didn't. We got stuck with it.

·
Registered
2018 136" HR
372 Posts
I bought my van for super cheap at a salvage auction with mostly roof damages. I got lucky with it but its a hit or miss, with auction cars. I didn't have any issue with reg with DMV and getting insurance but you are in Canada so i don't know how they run it there.
Also you can google search for the auction sold price too, but there is auction fees(10%??) and transportaton fee on top of the sold price too. Then their cost of time and parts repairing it. If you do plan to buy it, get it inspect by mechanic.

Side note, non-salvage title doesn't mean its doesn't have damage or accident. I know someone just sold his car with major accident that was never report to insurance. He fix it and sold it to a kid didn't drive it or have a mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
2018 136WB HR
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Uvan,

I tried to search for auction sold price without any lick. What info should I use for search? VIN does not work.

·
Registered
2018 136" HR
372 Posts
Try this one:

the one i used to look for sale price no longer offer free service. I just search with vin# only and was able find the sale price of my van. Depend when it was sold, it might take a month or two for them to update the database. Do you know if it was sold on Copart or IAAI?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts