Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across a too good-to-true price on a used high top 159. Had some pluses and minuses. It wasn't white! But it's a cargo van and has a bulkhead that I guess you could remove and no rear windows.

Then I read the fine print and it has damage to the roof From an impact with a low bridge. Would you still consider buying the van?

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Personally I wouldn't. You have no real idea of the damage or how well it was repaired. If you can find before photos and talk to the repair shop you might be ok but otherwise NO!

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I might if it had a normal title, not a salvage title and the pictures and my inspection led me to believe I could just jack the top back out and work for an afternoon with a body hammer and dolly and get a can of touch up spray paint. Personally if it runs and looks sort of good and I have a bunch of money in my pocket I am a happy guy! You can remove the bulkhead but if it is a factory one you will be missing some trim where it mounts. Non-white would be important to me. It doesn’t take much damage to be 10K or so. That being said real money would have to be a part of the deal.
As a young man I owned several of what many would have considered exotic cars by dong just that. Those cars ran fine and the small irregularities from my bodywork let me experience vehicles far beyond my means. They all sold fine with a small discount to the next buyer and substantial profits for me, often with enough to pay my tuition for another year of school. If you are young and poor you do these things and the habit stays with you until you are old and can afford not to. I hope to get there someday.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If it has a salvage title use extreme caution and do your research. Here in Michigan they recently changed the laws and they now mandate that all vehicles with salvage titles must be inspected by a licensed repair facility (After repairs) before they can be sold. Before it just required a quick inspection from the police to check if any parts used in the repair were stolen.

Licensed body shops are taking on an enormous liability risk in signing off on repairs, so many are no longer doing so or they are charging far more than they did in the past. The change has led to a large drop in the prices of salvage vehicles as it has eliminated many of the shade tree body guys that were out there flipping these salvage vehicles.

·
Registered
816 Posts
A lot of van for the money . The lights ripped off the top ? Metal cut or just pushed in ? The metal on these vans is thin and easy to move around . If no cuts/ripped up just push it back into shape, seal the seams. The birds won't notice any little dents. And maybe it's really a 18K van at the end of the day !

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I see the rib at the B pillar is crushed down a bit. A hydraulic jack and a 2 by 12 to distribute the load on the floor and then jack that puppy back into shape! They said no leaks now so just use Dicor to fill the ones you make denting it back. $18K would be the upper end of my ballpark price too. AND it is NON-WHITE!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm... maybe I'll take a look at it. My original plan was to go with a white 2017 off-lease van, and finance part of it to better fund the build.

At that price, I could buy it outright and I'd have a non-white van!

I dunno, though if it goes through I'd have to come up with different name-- I was going to call it Walter White.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
After looking at the pictures I probably would check it out if it was local. The fact the windshield appears to be intact is a good thing but I think the price of $21k is way to high for a salvage title vehicle that needs to be repaired. I would start negotiating at $15k and work up to maybe $18k max

It's one of those deals that might be ok but, then again, if it's not a steal it's no loss either!

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Silver Palace, Ag Van, VanAg, Silver Girl, Whack-a-Mole (for its beaten down top), argentum (the latin name for silver), argument (an anagram of the latin name)

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
It doesn’t say Salvage Title, but it is opposite the Doughnut King! If it has a salvage title I would want $5K+ off the price as you will loose a lot if you ever try to sell it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh well, I'm not getting my hopes up. It'll be worth the drive just for the doughnuts. I can do some test driving at dealers in Orlando while I'm at it.

I'm off to TN and NC for the eclipse this weekend, so maybe it will be gone when I get back and I can avoid temptation.

I'm on my way... I just scored two houses worth of plywood window covering for free today, as a coworker got hurricane shutters. It's 1/2" of unknown quality so I'm not sure how much of it I'll actually use, but it will certainly work for prototyping and other projects. If not, I can always use it to cover my windows.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Silver Palace, Ag Van, VanAg, Silver Girl, Whack-a-Mole (for its beaten down top), argentum (the latin name for silver), argument (an anagram of the latin name)
I was thinking more along the lines of Phil Silvers, or Sarah Silverman. They both crack me up.

Probably Phil... an inherently funny name. I like that bit in the Hitchhikers Galaxy where Arthur Dent says 'or should I say Phil!' And not everyone can take Sarah Silverman.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I really like Phil Silvers for the name of the van. One of my best friends' name is Phil and I never thought of it as funny. My real name though is a laugher. That’s why I am RD. As a hint my Mother was a first grade teacher and used a book written in 1927 by Margaret J McElroy and Jessica O Younge. I got named for a character. Oh what was she thinking?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your secret is safe for now... I'm not to the point that I'll pay $10-12 for the book to find out.

My SO's mother named her after Dale Evans... not sure that pregnancy and good decision making go hand in hand.

I'd say it's the name that's funny, not necessarily the person. Neil Simon has a whole treatise on K-sounds being funny, etc.

More than a few people have used Phil as a punchline. See below:

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Sorry to take this where it’s going but you have no chance to do anything about that van for a bit so here is a Dilbert my family sent to me.
For full disclosure my son, like Dilbert is an Engineer.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never warmed up to the animated Dilberts for some reason, but this one I liked. I used to be that Software Engineer that designed hardware without a license, and the EEs and MEs used to think it was so cute-- until they had trouble with their Unix Workstations. I can't say that I 100% have the knack, but now I'm the rare software guy who knows anything about hardware, so it's a small pond. Bah-- pure software guys, they have no concept that things actually fail from time to time and you have to deal with it-- especially other people's software!

Anyway, I guess you can't jack your own thread, but I think I'm going to message or call and at least find out if it has a Salvage Title or not. If so, I think I'll pass.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts