Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'16 gas if the diesel was cheaper? Just looked at a '14 new 2500 high roof diesel that's 33,000ish, which is cheaper than the '16 gas I'm considering ordering by a grand or so. Outfitted similar.

I'm using it for light construction in a hilly area in CT, never really considered a diesel until now...I've had 'em before, but that was pre high diesel gas prices.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Buy the diesel if 30K+ miles a year/hauling heavy loads/trailers on a daily basis the pay off economically is much sooner. If you are going from local town to town light to light etc.. buy the gas. I test drove the diesel again recently because I was killing time at the dealer while I got some issues looked at on my gas PM the transmission was absolutely awful just like the first time I drove it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another thing if the price of the 2014 is thousands less than the ordered 16 buy it. Keep in mind, the 14 is technically 2 years old already even though it is not titled yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
buy the 14 you will be impressed with it. im a contractor in pittsburgh pa. it does very well on hills.i have a 14 2500 diesel through a cel at 800 miles turned it off now im at 2000 miles no more cel . it took about a week to get the hang off transmission, as for the price i paid 33000 for it bought it 2 month ago. best construction van that i have ever had in 30 years

·
Registered
533 Posts
This diesel is a Gem, awesome engine and incredibly efficient. The longer you own it, the more miles on it the more you will love the van. Hills are effortless even while towing a trailer.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
That diesel sounds like a great deal if you plan to keep it for more than a few years. If you think a trade or resale is in your future then a year (or two) old vehicle will depreciate just due to time. I guess the transmission is a personal thing as I loved mine when I tried it out and now in the first couple hundred miles. It is not an automatic and doesn't shift like one but it is super good at finding the right gear, moving a bit in a parking lot, and efficient as all get out!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Just a few things, I'm not going to trade it in, probably keep it and drive it into the ground. deantritinger, I'm sorry...a cel? Not familiar with that term.

How about 2 model years of improvements between the '14 & '16? Would you guys put any weight on that? How about the price of diesel vs gas? Any real world gas mileage feedback on the diesel?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
A CEL is "check engine light" some 14's were plagued by them. I seems to have been EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valves bad or old DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) OR they needed a computer update from the dealer. My 2015 does not have the squeaky brakes, bushings, reluctant side door or leaky clearance lights some 2014's had. All these are easily fixed. Parts were changed, but the vehicle is the same. You do get two remote fobs with the '15s and forward. Changes may come to the '16's but no one knows what they might be.
There is a thread on diesel fuel costs and one on mileage, search. The price if diesel is 10% over gas here in the NE, less than gas in parts of the NW about the same other places, check locally. We can help but you need to look yourself.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
A month ago i was looking at new 15s, but ended up with a used 14. But i found 2500 hr gas all day long for mid 28,000. Other than uconnect and the backup camera, i dont think any other options are worth the money, and Chrysler will give you $1000 for upfit anyway.

As much as i love diesel, i cant make a case for it. $4000 buys you a lot of fuel, harder to find, fuel more expensive, maintenance expensive, winter starts, def hassle. If you tow a lot you need the diesel, but if you tow a lot why arent you buying a pickup truck?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Indy,

I'm in CT too! I have a 2014 gas PM and like the quietness of the engine, smooth ride and transmission on mine.

A 2014 will have the same warranty as a 2016 so you're buying a new vehicle either way. Your taxes will be based on value,and for a long term purchase, you will save annually on CT property taxes.

I'm sure that the dealer will do all recalls before you get the van.

Ordering a '16 will take a while. If you want gas, what about looking for a '14 gas? Should be some around, and no 4 month wait. That's what I would do.

I got my '14 gas in VT because there was nothing but white in CT!

Ed

RD .... wait, the squeaky brakes take a while to appear. :D Kinda like a fine wine...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Funny you mention the brake squeal; its totally gone on mine. Stopped doing it around 70k, and im at 103k now. Same with my second pm-no squeal at 90k.

I do massive amounts if highway driving, and id guess i use the brakes very little compared to total miles driven. This means that city drivers should stop squealing at 10-20k?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Indy,

I'm in CT too! I have a 2014 gas PM and like the quietness of the engine, smooth ride and transmission on mine.

A 2014 will have the same warranty as a 2016 so you're buying a new vehicle either way. Your taxes will be based on value,and for a long term purchase, you will save annually on CT property taxes.

I'm sure that the dealer will do all recalls before you get the van.

Ordering a '16 will take a while. If you want gas, what about looking for a '14 gas? Should be some around, and no 4 month wait. That's what I would do.

I got my '14 gas in VT because there was nothing but white in CT!

Ed

RD .... wait, the squeaky brakes take a while to appear. :D Kinda like a fine wine...
The diesel is white, I was looking for a granite PM. But a deal is a deal. I'm going to drive the gas one today and see how it does in the hills.

Has anybody had any issues with winter weather and the diesel?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
The diesel is white, I was looking for a granite PM. But a deal is a deal. I'm going to drive the gas one today and see how it does in the hills.

Has anybody had any issues with winter weather and the diesel?
Drop me a pm if you want to discuss CT dealers... mine is granite, that's why I went to VT to get it. Back when I bought mine almost a year ago, CT dealers had almost all white. I found one red, one silver. VT had exactly what i was looking for (but I wish mine had cruise control)

Pics of my granite PM and my build project at my website listed in my signature below.

Ed

ps. Never thought about it but, I guess you'd expect some granite in VT!

pps. Just looked - they have a 2015 granite PM at my dealer in Brattleboro VT right now! It looks just like mine, but with lots of options at a good price. Not that far from CT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still undecided...decisions decisions. Anybody with a gasser that regrets it from a power standpoint?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Still undecided...decisions decisions. Anybody with a gasser that regrets it from a power standpoint?
I drove twice on the icefield highway (elevation 6000 feet+) in between Lake Louise
and Jasper Alberta. Plenty of power.You can speed if you want to on them climbs.
I usually leave it in 5th gear. 2014 159 3.6L gas.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Power isnt a problem with the gasser, but the pentastar makes most of its guts fairly high up. On the biggest hills, with the most weight, yeah it might kick itself into 4th and run at 4000rpm. But you can still accelerate up massive hills if you want to. And unloaded, the thing is downright fast.

The extra torque of the diesel would be nice, but i just cant see how its $4000 nice. On the east coast, diesel is still notably more expensive than gas, making the payback even longer. Its not that the diesel is bad, its just that the gasser is so good. If you read through this board in its entirety, you'll find TWO examples of gassers that had issues. But putting those aside, no mention of ignition probs, electrical, charging, cooling, trans, a/c issues or any mechanical problems of any kind. No cv joint issues, alignment, brake probls, fuel pumps, computers.....nothing. Our biggest problems are cable stretch on the side door, and frickin' cup holder placement! I own 2 gassers, and my first has 105,000 on it in 11 months with zero point zero problems. I see no reason to complicate it with the diesels complexity.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I did notice the comment above about the brakes taking a while before they squeal. If they start I will apply anti squeal compound on the backs of the pads. Fixes this issue every time and I should know I have had more than several BMW motorcycles and let me tell you FCA does not have squeal exclusivity.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2014 159" 2500 gasser that is set up as a contractors van. You can see pics of the buildout here:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40025

I don't use it as such on a daily basis because I have a company issued 2010 Sprinter 3500. I use the PM as a daily driver when not at my job and for "extracurricular" projects. I've never had it over a scale, but I would bet it is saddled with about 2500 - 3000# of cargo and shelving. I think the performance of the gasser may be viewed differently by different people. It was, as Kip said, "downright fast when empty." Saddled with the weight though, it is definitely noticeably slower. I am admittedly more aggressive than most behind the wheel. I tend to always be in a rush and have a bad habit of standing on it to get up to speed. The combination of my driving habits, the weight, and a majority short run city / hwy. driving causes fuel mileage to suffer bad. I average just under 12 mpg. I have a feeling that the diesel would do quite a bit better, but for the 8000 miles per year I put on the van, I couldn't justify the extra cost. Also the diesel wasn't yet available when I placed the order for my 2014. So there are benefits to both models and some of that will depend on your driving style and how much you will carry on a regular basis. If you can get a screaming deal on a 2014 diesel, and if you drive like me and carry a healthy load that may be a great way to go. I'd be lying if I said there's never been a time I wished I had the diesel. But on the other hand there's nothing intolerable about the gasser either.

Reactions: IndyDog
1 - 20 of 30 Posts