Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the gasser ProMaster's transmission is basically a beefed-up minivan transmission, and for export markets there are Diesel versions of the minivan with a regular automatic transmission, I might admit I got kinda surprised that it wasn't standardized across all the range. Altough the AMT is expected to be less prone to overheating issues due to the dry-clutch coupling and to get a higher fuel-efficiency, being also cheaper to manufacture and overhaul, having to release the transmission to replace a clutch disc is not the most pleasant job...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The ProMaster's diesel is a different engine than the one used in minivan. It appears more robust and commercial by comparison. The minivan automatic probably wouldn't stand up behind the PM diesel, and the minivan's diesel and auto drivetrain is probably too light-duty for the commercial PM.

To your question, I would personally prefer the PM diesel with a clutch pedal and gear shifter, but since my wife would want an auto, I'd wait for a beefier automatic like the ZF 9 speed that can take the diesel's higher average torque.

I haven't driven the AMT but think it would be a deal breaker for me. And the 6-speed auto on the gasoline PM doesn't sound much better to me based on reports on this forum plus published specifications. Either transmission seems to be the weak link to me personally.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would want a MT and not a AT or AMT.
But if there was a 9 speed auto, I am sure that Ram would drop the AMT, as the 9 spd auto would get better mpg

·
Registered
363 Posts
The ProMaster's diesel is a different engine than the one used in minivan. It appears more robust and commercial by comparison. The minivan automatic probably wouldn't stand up behind the PM diesel, and the minivan's diesel and auto drivetrain is probably too light-duty for the commercial PM.

To your question, I would personally prefer the PM diesel with a clutch pedal and gear shifter, but since my wife would want an auto, I'd wait for a beefier automatic like the ZF 9 speed that can take the diesel's higher average torque.

I haven't driven the AMT but think it would be a deal breaker for me. And the 6-speed auto on the gasoline PM doesn't sound much better to me based on reports on this forum plus published specifications. Either transmission seems to be the weak link to me personally.
I also want the ZF 9 Speed, it's probably one of the better transmissions out their for this setup, giving us the best of both worlds

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd take a 3-pedal row-it-myself transmission in the ideal world, which will never happen in North America. I'd deal with the AMT if the diesel weren't vaporware and didn't cost $6000 extra in Canada.

Company car (smart fortwo) has an automated manual transmission; I'm used to regular manual transmissions so I understand what it's doing and I don't have a problem with it. But a lot of people used to uninterrupted power delivery from a traditional automatic can't deal with it. This seems consistent with the general opinion in owner's groups for that car ... the people who actually own the car understand that it's (shall we say) "sub-optimal" but not really a show-stopper, but for any so-called professional auto journalist, it makes their head explode. On the owners groups for that car, complaints about burned bulbs, wonky door latches, etc (i.e. "normal car stuff") far outnumber complaints about the transmission ...

·
Registered
654 Posts
AFAIK, the MT and AMT in the FIAT Ducato are the same, when I get the diesel PM, I may change out the parts, but only after I see how the AMT performs in 'manual' mode.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've driven class 8 trucks ("18 wheelers") with automated manuals (in this case, ten speeds), and the break in torque (and therefore, break in acceleration) during gears shifts is definitely an unsettling feeling, when compared to the common torque-converter-type automatics (Allison makes them for class 8 applications). Maybe it helps achieve a few more tenths of MPG, but I'd prefer the torque-converter (non-AMT) type.

Since I'm only considering the Pentastar ProMaster, it's not an issue for me, other than to say I'd prefer the ZF 9-speed automatic versus the older Chrysler 6-speed auto. I'm not too worried about its durability, but would bet the 9-speed would be better on MPG and smoothness.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would prefer a real manual tranny, but for some reason we can't get those here. An AT with proper ratios and a manual mode or select-shift type mode would be OK with me. The AT they're using has neither. The AMT looks better than the AT they mated to the gasser.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've driven class 8 trucks ("18 wheelers") with automated manuals (in this case, ten speeds), and the break in torque (and therefore, break in acceleration) during gears shifts is definitely an unsettling feeling, when compared to the common torque-converter-type automatics (Allison makes them for class 8 applications). Maybe it helps achieve a few more tenths of MPG, but I'd prefer the torque-converter (non-AMT) type.

.......cut.......
The "break in torque" you describe would definitely unsettle many drivers if the transmission decided to shift at the wrong time. But in my opinion a simple solution (albeit at higher cost) is to go with a dual-clutch AMT which can shift much faster than a human.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The AMT uses basically the same core as the MT, altough IIRC the AMT doesn't have the synchromesh. Anyway, since the Ducato is already available in Mexico with the manual and a Diesel (a 2.3L instead of the 3.0L which is also available in the Euro-spec Ducato) it would make sense for the MT to be listed at least as an option for the ProMaster, since it wouldn't really icrease the operational cost to bring this option.

Regarding that ZF 9-speed, it would be really a good option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts