Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a dash cam and I need to know if there is 12v hot with key on in the headliner.I don't want to go down A pillar with air bag curtain in it. What are the options ?
Or just mount cam on dash and go through dash?

·
Super Moderator
10,528 Posts
You can do it either way, there is plenty of room under the headliner so don't worry about the air bags. You best bet is to do it thru the clipboard on the dash tho. You have to remove the radio but it's not difficult and Ed has documented it very well here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can do it either way, there is plenty of room under the headliner so don't worry about the air bags. You best bet is to do it thru the clipboard on the dash tho. You have to remove the radio but it's not difficult and Ed has documented it very well here.
In case someone needs it after finding this in the search, like me :)

Proeddies how to on wiring through the clipboard area

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would think a dash cam would have a clearer view from the clipboard than the headliner.
Isn't there an obstruction where the rearview mirror is, even if there's no mirror?

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,065 Posts
Our dash cam mounts high on the mirror, so we wanted to run power up rather than down.

I poked around in the connector that goes to the dome lights, but I did not find a conductor that had 12v switched on it.

Since we had to remove the headliner to add insulation, we rigged a 12v-to USB mini-B hard wire adapter across the headliner and down to the pillar to the upfitter connector.

I have ordered mating upfitter plugs, and I need to hook it up down there.

(fair warning: affiliate links in this post)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Our dash cam mounts high on the mirror, so we wanted to run power up rather than down.

I poked around in the connector that goes to the dome lights, but I did not find a conductor that had 12v switched on it.

Since we had to remove the headliner to add insulation, we rigged a 12v-to USB mini-B hard wire adapter across the headliner and down to the pillar to the upfitter connector.

I have ordered mating upfitter plugs, and I need to hook it up down there.

(fair warning: affiliate links in this post)
I know this post is pretty old, but I’m trying to wire my rear view mirror dash cam into the upfitter connector as well and I’m wondering if you ever finished the job? If so, do you know what color wires you used for power? Did you ground right to chassis near the upfitter connector?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think I ended up using a fuse + relay tied into the 70-amp circuit, activated by a signal on the upfitter connector.

Originally I had the 12v to 5v supply tied directly into the upfitter connector's "ignition feed" wire but something was flakey so I tried the relay (not sure that was the problem).

The upfitter connector is documented here:

Here are some pictures of my 2019 connector, you can see that things do not match 100% the documentation above:

Unfortunately, I did not take pics when I added the relay.

Here is a post that links the mating connector (buried in a mega-thread about the up fitter connector):

More links here:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think I ended up using a fuse + relay tied into the 70-amp circuit, activated by a signal on the upfitter connector.

Originally I had the 12v to 5v supply tied directly into the upfitter connector's "ignition feed" wire but something was flakey so I tried the relay (not sure that was the problem).

The upfitter connector is documented here:

Here are some pictures of my 2019 connector, you can see that things do not match 100% the documentation above:

Unfortunately, I did not take pics when I added the relay.

Here is a post that links the mating connector (buried in a mega-thread about the up fitter connector):

More links here:
Great, thanks for the info! I too tied mine into the upfitter connector's "ignition feed" wire, but I'm having some issues as well. My compact subwoofer has a trigger wire on the same ignition feed and while I wouldn't think it would cause any issues running both since the sub isn't pulling power from there, I started having some issues with the sub last night. Could be coincidence, but seems likely they'd be associated, so I'm going to try running somewhere else as well.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The weird thing is that I was still using the Ignition Feed, just using it to trigger a relay. Weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts