Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel
re Map

Hey Yall! Pretty new to this side of van builds, Ive done a tone of research and have had many a conversation with more experienced people. But im not confident enough to start closing up the wall on my build. Im pretty confident in the DC side of things but not so much the AC and battery to battery stuff. So all that being said i thought it would be a good call to call upon the wire map wizards for some help! Its a fairly simple wire map, but let me know if i can clarify a bit more. I just wont to make sure that all of this will be cohesive and all the wire size/ amperage stuff adds up. Thanks so much in advance!

Each battery is 100ah

Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
309 Posts
My thoughts (might not be shared by everyone)

1. The electrical system should be in a protected area and over-current protection only needed on power coming into or out of that box. Overcurrent protection is needed at THE SOURCE of the power since the whole point is to protect the down-stream wire from overloads.
2.a Solar panels don't technically need overcurrent protection as they are current limited devices (plus they typically have fusing at the panel itself).
2.b The distribution box doesn't need overcurrent protection as it is festooned with fuses.
2.c The ALT/Service battery connection doesn't need additional protection as you are very likely going to use the existing auxiliary fuse or add one to the main battery connector plate.
3. It is very convenient to have disconnects on all power sources and sinks which cheap thermal breakers can be used e.g., for the solar, ALT and 12v distribution. Those are typically grouped together on an electrical panel for easy manipulation when working on your electrical system.

-- All that above is just rationalization for the following two changes to your wiring diagram ---

4. You don't need two high current disconnects. The inverter can be disconnected by cutting solar, alt and battery. The inverter can also just be turned off when working on the rest of the system. The only high power disconnect needed is at the battery to the (+) bus.
5. You also don't need the redundant disconnects between the (+) bus and the MPPT and DC2DC charge controllers.

What is the purpose of the "class T" fuse block? Why can't the 2/0 from the battery to the (+) bus to the inverter just be two stacked lugs on the (+) bus? (maybe I don't understand, but it looks like you have a fuse between the batteries and the disconnect?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Larry! Really appreciate you taking the time to check this over.

So just to clarify. Where do you see me needing over-current protection/ disconnects as it pertains to this wire map?

4. Okay that makes sense. Ill get rid of the one between the inverter/ charger and (+)bus

As far as the T fuse goes, I wasnt sure i could stack the 2/0 on the (+) bus and I was thinking that there needed to be some form of disconnect coming off the batteries.

Sorry im pretty fresh when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
309 Posts
I think #4 and 5 say it all. Disconnect on the ALT, Solar, house battery and 12v distribution. If you use a quality thermal breaker (mechanical products "MP", blue-sea) your current limiting and disconnect can be the same device on the house battery. No other items needed. The only "protection" is on the house battery. The rest are connivences. NB: this assumes you have a fuse on the ALT at the battery connection point - that is sort of a default, so I left it out.

What size inverter? If 3kw you won't be able to find a suitable breaker for the house battery. Then a fuse + disconnect is the way to go. 2kw and a 200A breaker should be fine. I used a 150A MP breaker on my 2kw system - it will pop at 2kw after a minute or so which in practice is fine - the inverter will shut down after 10 seconds > 2kw. That only happens when I pull an espresso while cooking the oatmeal. :)

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
732 Posts
This thread is closed since its a double post made by the OP. Normally I would deleted it but there is a few replies on it already. Please refrain from make two of the same post in the future. thanks

Go to this thread instead. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.