Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, Ive spent alot of time and conversation getting to this point in completing this wire map. 99% confident with the DC side, but not as confident with the AC side and battery to battery connections. If there are any proffesionals out there it would really help to get this thing approved before i start closing up the walls.

Each battery is 100ah

Let me know if i can clarify anything, Thanks !
Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel
Wire Map

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
It looks like you have done a good job at pulling it together for a conventional 12 volt setup.

I didn't look at everything but a few items pop up as possible alternatives:
  • Since you have an MPPT solar controller, the panels should be wired in series.
  • Since they will be in series, the wire size can be 10 awg from the panels to the controller
  • From the controller to the bus bar can be 10 or 8 as you prefer.
  • Perhaps consider to put up a 3rd panel now or at least install the infrastructure for it now so that it is easy to add.

Batteries
  • I use the same batteries and have qualified them for my customer builds - good choice
  • In order to fully power that inverter, 4 of them would be a lot better.
  • 2 will really struggle to keep up with the V 3000 as it is a 2400 watt inverter

Battery to bus bar
  • There are various opinions on which method is optimal
  • My personal favorite is to have each battery feed the main bus bar via a breaker for that battery. It makes starting things up and maintenance a lot easier. Not mandatory, but convenient and you can be sure that a van power system will be turned on / off / changed over time.

Breakers
  • The 285 series should be ok , but I have not regularly used them
  • I am more familiar with the 187 series
  • Both are thermal breakers, so they will tend to trip a bit early, especially on a hot day. It is fine, just be aware of it

120 vac outlets
- For a van, the outlets should each be GFCIs and idealy with a shutter to keep out water splashing

12 vs 24 volt battery pack
  • Different people have different opinions about this
  • I stopped building 12 volt battery pack systems a long time ago.
  • I think that the only items on the list that isn't available in 24 volt is the fan, and a DC converter can handle that

Lights
  • Nothing wrong with puck lights, but also consider to look at LED strip lighting.
  • From my perspective, it is easier to wire and install

Nothing really wrong with your design - just throwing out some ideas to ponder.

Harry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like you have done a good job at pulling it together for a conventional 12 volt setup.

I didn't look at everything but a few items pop up as possible alternatives:
  • Since you have an MPPT solar controller, the panels should be wired in series.
  • Since they will be in series, the wire size can be 10 awg from the panels to the controller
  • From the controller to the bus bar can be 10 or 8 as you prefer.
  • Perhaps consider to put up a 3rd panel now or at least install the infrastructure for it now so that it is easy to add.

Batteries
  • I use the same batteries and have qualified them for my customer builds - good choice
  • In order to fully power that inverter, 4 of them would be a lot better.
  • 2 will really struggle to keep up with the V 3000 as it is a 2400 watt inverter

Battery to bus bar
  • There are various opinions on which method is optimal
  • My personal favorite is to have each battery feed the main bus bar via a breaker for that battery. It makes starting things up and maintenance a lot easier. Not mandatory, but convenient and you can be sure that a van power system will be turned on / off / changed over time.

Breakers
  • The 285 series should be ok , but I have not regularly used them
  • I am more familiar with the 187 series
  • Both are thermal breakers, so they will tend to trip a bit early, especially on a hot day. It is fine, just be aware of it

120 vac outlets
- For a van, the outlets should each be GFCIs and idealy with a shutter to keep out water splashing

12 vs 24 volt battery pack
  • Different people have different opinions about this
  • I stopped building 12 volt battery pack systems a long time ago.
  • I think that the only items on the list that isn't available in 24 volt is the fan, and a DC converter can handle that

Lights
  • Nothing wrong with puck lights, but also consider to look at LED strip lighting.
  • From my perspective, it is easier to wire and install

Nothing really wrong with your design - just throwing out some ideas to ponder.

Harry
Thanks Harry! Really appreciate you taking the time.

Do you think that inverter will still be ok with just 2 batteries fro now? I wanted to have something that would allow for expansion later on

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Thanks Harry! Really appreciate you taking the time.

Do you think that inverter will still be ok with just 2 batteries fro now? I wanted to have something that would allow for expansion later on
Sure - just run it at a reduced power level ~ 1200 - 1500ish watts max.

Perhaps limit the size of the breakers for each battery to bus bar to 60 - 70 amps so that they don't get close to the 100 amp range.

I like the BB batteries a lot, but had poor results (in early models) trying to use them near 100 amp discharge rates.

Every battery has it's limitations no matter what is in the marketing literature.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,636 Posts
Agree about strip lighting being easy to wire and install. That's why I did it, plus I think the look is nicer.
Property Lighting Interior design Wood Comfort

1 - 7 of 7 Posts