Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the issue of the wires coming to the rear doors breaking from the constant bending from the doors opening and closing? I've lost count of the times these have had to be spliced back together. It started with me on one side the doorlock quit working and rear defrost wouldnt work... the other side was the tag light wire...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine doesnt look like that.......yet! I have a 2014, have they improved on this obvious flaw in later models?

·
Registered
98 Posts
We have had to replace, under warranty, the passenger side rear door harness. The loom broke just like in Dwight's pic, but we spotted it immediately, thankfully, before it was pulled out like his, or F'up'd the door before we tried to close it.
We did a "patch" on the broken one with a larger guage of loom, and some black Gorilla tape to reinforce it. Then, we looked at the other side, and decided to do the same reinforcement to it before it broke, and did the same to the new warranty replacement. You must be careful not to interfere with it sliding into the door pocket when nearly and finally, fully closed. It may not be pretty, but ours is a work van, I'll go for tough and preventative first, looks second. And I don't think it looks "that" bad anyway. Trying to attach pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
We have had to replace, under warranty, the passenger side rear door harness. The loom broke just like in Dwight's pic, but we spotted it immediately, thankfully, before it was pulled out like his, or F'up'd the door before we tried to close it.
We did a "patch" on the broken one with a larger guage of loom, and some black Gorilla tape to reinforce it. Then, we looked at the other side, and decided to do the same reinforcement to it before it broke, and did the same to the new warranty replacement. You must be careful not to interfere with it sliding into the door pocket when nearly and finally, fully closed. It may not be pretty, but ours is a work van, I'll go for tough and preventative first, looks second. And I don't think it looks "that" bad anyway. Trying to attach pics.
Man.... I STILL wish that I would have held out till I found a red van... dammmn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes, me too, Ill try to post a pic of the failed wire looms..
imo lousy design

I have to feed the wires into the door hole before closing ...

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is a flimsy design. I wrapped electrical tape around the spot where the loom hits the connector on the van and it has held up. One of our looms came off the spring track within the door and was kinking every time we closed the door. If yours is kinking, you might want to open up the door by removing the plastic panel and make sure the loom is still attached to the spring and running smoothly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 2 promaster 2500's & both are broken on the driver side rear doors. One is a 2014 159" WB with <10K miles on it & the other is a 2015 136" WB with 30K miles on it.

The 2015 broke first & the contagion passed to the older, but less-experienced cousin. I dread going to the dealership for warranty repair, but that's where the 2015 is heading next week. Gorilla tape therapy will be standing by for post-surgical therapy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My license plate light wires kept breaking. I finally ran some high quality speaker wire in to replace the brittle stock wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts