Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

We live in California, where winter road conditions in the mountains often require tire chains (having snow tires doesn't get you off the hook...). When we purchased our PM we also had to sign paperwork indicating that using tire chains would void the warranty on the car.

Our questions for you:
  1. Has anyone expierience issues when using chains that help to explain this clause in the warranty/contract? Has anyone else had to sign this type of agreement?
  2. Does anyone have recommendations for good chains to consider? An older thread mentioned the 'Thule KONIG XG-12 PRO 245' but no one had actually tried them in snow yet...
  3. Has anyone tried snow "socks" as an alternative? How did you like them?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,100 Posts
When we purchased our PM we also had to sign paperwork indicating that using tire chains would void the warranty on the car.
I'm pretty sure that if the traction device causes damage that damage won't be covered,
ref: owners manual
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Document

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
273 Posts
I actually just purchased and received the Peerless 0231905 Auto-Trac from amazon for $77. Definitely not the fanciest but I just couldnt justify the price tag on some of the other recommended brands. I fit them over my tires and they fit perfectly but obviously havent tested them in proper conditions yet. Like you I needed them because I'm going to be in areas this winter that require them. A buddy of mine had the same ones and said they were fine and held up through his season in CO that he used them.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
2,080 Posts
We got some at Les Schwab:

Go slow with chains, make sure they have clearance and fit well. Don't spin them if you can help it.

Reactions: Club Rider

·
Registered
234 Posts
im an expeditor, this is what i bought for my promaster König K-Summit VAN K89 . they were pricey and i barely used them. i sold the promaster and now have a sprinter. i could not afford another set of these chains so i bought tire socks. i used them last winter with great success.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tire chains are my go to solution when necessary to drive in snow and ice. That's because avoiding the auto body shop is the number one priority, above all else (including convenience).

I humbly suggest: Run them tight, preferably with elastic tighteners installed. Run them on all four tires, especially with front wheel drive. Never drive on dry pavement, and don't drive faster than 30-35 mph.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use these when necessary driving to Reno. No damage detected but thank goodness we can pay to have someone put them on for us.
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Font Circle Auto part

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,815 Posts
Had great luck with tire cables similar to these, back when I lived in snow country. They cinch in tight so you can go somewhat faster with little concern of destroying your wheel wells.

·
Registered
2014 1500 HT
30 Posts
I actually just purchased and received the Peerless 0231905 Auto-Trac from amazon for $77. Definitely not the fanciest but I just couldnt justify the price tag on some of the other recommended brands. I fit them over my tires and they fit perfectly but obviously havent tested them in proper conditions yet. Like you I needed them because I'm going to be in areas this winter that require them. A buddy of mine had the same ones and said they were fine and held up through his season in CO that he used them.
The Peerless Auto-Trac have been good for me. Easy to use, tensioners work, no issues yet after 3 different sessions with them on/off.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to use the Konig chains I bought a while ago this last weekend...twice, after not needing them since 2016. They worked great. I have dedicated snow tires that I've been very impressed with (non studded). Easy to put on and got me unstuck no problem.

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
273 Posts
I have a question @tenthjuror and @jbourne48

Have you had any issues with your 0231905 chains? The sizing chart show 0231805 for LT225 tires and 0231905 for P225 tires. I'm torn between the two tire chains.
No issues yet.
I just got back from a trip where I needed to use my chains a bunch and I'm pretty happy with them. I did some research because of the confusing sizing charts and found some explanation, something about the sizing chart on their actual website being correct vs the one on amazon chart maybe? I kind of forget how I landed on this size but the 0231905 fit perfect on my LT225/75R16 tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3W). A couple occasions I had trouble getting them around the tire because of snow/ice and I had to dig out the tire a bit to connect the hooks but that was it. Theyre easy to put on but definitely practice one time in dry conditions. I did it in my living room before mounting the Wildpeaks.

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
273 Posts
The Peerless Auto-Trac have been good for me. Easy to use, tensioners work, no issues yet after 3 different sessions with them on/off.
Nice! I just got a bunch of use on them over snoqualmie pass on I-90 in washington, mt baker, and whistler. They worked great but they do make me a bit nervous driving on bare pavement, occasionally sections of road would have tire tracks cleared and I was intentionally driving on the still-snow covered areas. Also in whistler, the villages were covered and needed chains but driving 5 minutes up the main road to another section whistler meant some partially bare pavement driving in between, I did not feel comfortable driving the rated speed (30mph). Maybe all chains are like this though?

What are your thoughts on longer term durability?

·
Registered
2014 1500 HT
30 Posts
Size is working well for me, too on stock sized LT225. They are noisy on bare pavement and I didn't like going over 25-30 mph either. On another car in the past, I got several seasons out of very similar chains and eventually sold them along with the car. One of the tensioners on that set got funky, but still worked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts