Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

We live in California, where winter road conditions in the mountains often require tire chains (having snow tires doesn't get you off the hook...). When we purchased our PM we also had to sign paperwork indicating that using tire chains would void the warranty on the car.

Our questions for you:
  1. Has anyone expierience issues when using chains that help to explain this clause in the warranty/contract? Has anyone else had to sign this type of agreement?
  2. Does anyone have recommendations for good chains to consider? An older thread mentioned the 'Thule KONIG XG-12 PRO 245' but no one had actually tried them in snow yet...
  3. Has anyone tried snow "socks" as an alternative? How did you like them?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,378 Posts
When we purchased our PM we also had to sign paperwork indicating that using tire chains would void the warranty on the car.
I'm pretty sure that if the traction device causes damage that damage won't be covered,
ref: owners manual
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Document

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
183 Posts
I actually just purchased and received the Peerless 0231905 Auto-Trac from amazon for $77. Definitely not the fanciest but I just couldnt justify the price tag on some of the other recommended brands. I fit them over my tires and they fit perfectly but obviously havent tested them in proper conditions yet. Like you I needed them because I'm going to be in areas this winter that require them. A buddy of mine had the same ones and said they were fine and held up through his season in CO that he used them.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,504 Posts
We got some at Les Schwab:

Go slow with chains, make sure they have clearance and fit well. Don't spin them if you can help it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
im an expeditor, this is what i bought for my promaster König K-Summit VAN K89 . they were pricey and i barely used them. i sold the promaster and now have a sprinter. i could not afford another set of these chains so i bought tire socks. i used them last winter with great success.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tire chains are my go to solution when necessary to drive in snow and ice. That's because avoiding the auto body shop is the number one priority, above all else (including convenience).

I humbly suggest: Run them tight, preferably with elastic tighteners installed. Run them on all four tires, especially with front wheel drive. Never drive on dry pavement, and don't drive faster than 30-35 mph.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I use these when necessary driving to Reno. No damage detected but thank goodness we can pay to have someone put them on for us.
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Font Circle Auto part

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,447 Posts
Had great luck with tire cables similar to these, back when I lived in snow country. They cinch in tight so you can go somewhat faster with little concern of destroying your wheel wells.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts