Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather finally got serious this week. I'm based out of Ohio, but I drove 2600 miles this week....all of them nasty!

Point 1: The PM really sucks down the washer fluid. I went through a gallon this week, and I was trying to conserve it! I think it's because half of the fluid shoots out over the roof! When it gets a little warmer, I'll look into re-aiming the squirters. Anybody played around with that yet? By the way, the reservoir holds a full gallon, Wal-mart has it on sale for $2 per gallon, and Wal-mart also sells a cheap funnel with an accordion neck that works well. You're welcome.

Point 2: I have absolutely no proof for this, but I think the aerodynamics of the PM are such that the windshield gets dirtier, faster than the Chevy's I'm most familiar with. In my area they use brine (water and salt mix) which works great for keeping the road clear but once it gets on your windshield you absolutly must have a top notch squirting system or you won't be able to see. I suspect there isn't a protective bubble of slow moving drag inducing air clinging to the PM, and the windshield gets the full measure of filth.

Point 3: I have the stock Vancos with 37k on them, but I did just fine. I even passed a cop car in the ditch! Traffic was down to 5mph on the interstate Friday morning, and I had more control than 1/2 the other cars and trucks. Braking on ice was less than stellar, but the ESC did a pretty good job of accelerating and steering was good too. With Blizzaks, this thing would be unstoppable.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Point 1 - use a small straight blade screw driver. There's a "screw" on the side of the tip. Doesn't take much to change it, just the littlest of tweeks...

·
Registered
625 Posts
For years now I've used Rain-X washer fluid. Works better than generic blue stuff for cleaning, and leaves a bit of a Rain-X residue. Solves the old problem of classic Rain-X application where using the wipers would wear it off.

At highway speeds with anything over a light sprinkle, I don't have to use my wipers to see. I would think the PM's windshield is in more direct airflow than my Audi wagon, would expect a treated windshield to clear rain even better.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For years now I've used Rain-X washer fluid. Works better than generic blue stuff for cleaning, and leaves a bit of a Rain-X residue. Solves the old problem of classic Rain-X application where using the wipers would wear it off.

At highway speeds with anything over a light sprinkle, I don't have to use my wipers to see. I would think the PM's windshield is in more direct airflow than my Audi wagon, would expect a treated windshield to clear rain even better.
Want to ask your opinion: I used RainX for years and years, and then eventually stopped. For me, it worked fine but it left a sort of "haze" of very fine water droplets that seemed to make it actually harder to see. Seemed like it was worse at night especially. Eventually, I stopped using it. Thoughts? Has it been improved in the last 10 years or so?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine were a little low, so I aimed them a bit higher, and as someone said, LITTLE tweaks, I did a tweak and a half and hit the car behind me at the gas station!

As for the windshield, I think it's fine, blowing snow and all and never had a flake make it to the windshield. Water? Yeah, it still makes it, but for the most part it stays pretty clean if you ask me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Want to ask your opinion: I used RainX for years and years, and then eventually stopped. For me, it worked fine but it left a sort of "haze" of very fine water droplets that seemed to make it actually harder to see. Seemed like it was worse at night especially. Eventually, I stopped using it. Thoughts? Has it been improved in the last 10 years or so?
Yeah, I kinda remember some haze from when I used to use the Rain-X that you had to wipe on then buff off. If you didn't get it right, it was hazy. And then when it stopped working, it really stopped working.

Its been ~15 years since I used that style of Rain-X. But then, I lived in SoCal, so really didn't 'need' it that much, was something to play with.

I started using the Rain-X washer fluid about 8 years ago when I moved to WA state (admittedly though, I'm on on the 'dry' east side). Over here its more a frequent use of the wipers to clear dust from the windshield. With the Rain-X fluid it also acts like an application of Rain-X each time. So when I do head over to Portland or Seattle, I get the benefit of the Rain-X when I need it.

Give it a shot for a couple fills, see what ya think. If you're using it up that quick, shouldn't take long. ;) Though maybe it'll work better and you'll be able to use less.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The weather finally got serious this week. I'm based out of Ohio, but I drove 2600 miles this week....all of them nasty!

Point 1: The PM really sucks down the washer fluid. I went through a gallon this week, and I was trying to conserve it! I think it's because half of the fluid shoots out over the roof! When it gets a little warmer, I'll look into re-aiming the squirters. Anybody played around with that yet? By the way, the reservoir holds a full gallon, Wal-mart has it on sale for $2 per gallon, and Wal-mart also sells a cheap funnel with an accordion neck that works well. You're welcome.

Point 2: I have absolutely no proof for this, but I think the aerodynamics of the PM are such that the windshield gets dirtier, faster than the Chevy's I'm most familiar with. In my area they use brine (water and salt mix) which works great for keeping the road clear but once it gets on your windshield you absolutly must have a top notch squirting system or you won't be able to see. I suspect there isn't a protective bubble of slow moving drag inducing air clinging to the PM, and the windshield gets the full measure of filth.

Point 3: I have the stock Vancos with 37k on them, but I did just fine. I even passed a cop car in the ditch! Traffic was down to 5mph on the interstate Friday morning, and I had more control than 1/2 the other cars and trucks. Braking on ice was less than stellar, but the ESC did a pretty good job of accelerating and steering was good too. With Blizzaks, this thing would be unstoppable.
I am also from Ohio and I agree with everything you mentioned here 100%. They seemed to salt the roads triple what they needed here lately. I was hitting the washers every 2 minutes. My True Blue van looks almost white now. I was thinking the aerodynamics are also in play here too with the windshield. I am really pleased so far with my stock tires. I have no plans yet on buying snows. That might change if we get whacked hard but so far so good. I think I will stock up on washer fluid.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My first post appears to have gotten eaten by forum software, I can't see it and my post count is zero as I post this, Moderator GuyT spotted this free-range text somewhere and forwarded me it, if you see a double post... Oops.

Rain-X : Garage kept vehicles do better with it applied to ALL windows. My '99 F150 used to get treated summers only, sure seemed to help with bugs and tree sap & rain. Rainex will also make sand-blasted windshields a bunch less annoying by coating the frosted specks to make them a bunch less opaque. Then weeks, months, years creep into the equation.

Rainex is defeated by stuff evaporating on it and leaving 'rings' from whatever was suspended in it. I'm in the southwest of the twin cites MN and we get morning frosts/dews full of whatever the two million households upwind have flung in the air... At least those ice-melt chemical splatters are water soluble! Fuel oil fired furnaces can really make some smog which will slime paint & glass alike. Wood smoke residues show up too. Don't wanna think about a million plumbing vents but that's in it too.

The pattern gets set and the same places get new 'morning dew' droplets three, five, or more times a week - not noticeable on the places wipers have friction wiped clean but on every other window area - and so the droplets are being taught how to be big and annoying by following the memory rings of prior droplets. And something in it modifies the rainex so a refueling stop sponge/squeegee wipe won't erase them, probably only more rainex.

Quit using it years back and gripe when the pay car wash hits the glass with rainexish rinse treatment. Anyhow, *if* I use it again it will be on front glass only, and only under the wipers sweep...

·
Administrator
339 Posts
My first post appears to have gotten eaten by forum software, I can't see it and my post count is zero as I post this, Moderator GuyT spotted this free-range text somewhere and forwarded me it, if you see a double post... Oops.

Rain-X : Garage kept vehicles do better with it applied to ALL windows. My '99 F150 used to get treated summers only, sure seemed to help with bugs and tree sap & rain. Rainex will also make sand-blasted windshields a bunch less annoying by coating the frosted specks to make them a bunch less opaque. Then weeks, months, years creep into the equation.

Rainex is defeated by stuff evaporating on it and leaving 'rings' from whatever was suspended in it. I'm in the southwest of the twin cites MN and we get morning frosts/dews full of whatever the two million households upwind have flung in the air... At least those ice-melt chemical splatters are water soluble! Fuel oil fired furnaces can really make some smog which will slime paint & glass alike. Wood smoke residues show up too. Don't wanna think about a million plumbing vents but that's in it too.

The pattern gets set and the same places get new 'morning dew' droplets three, five, or more times a week - not noticeable on the places wipers have friction wiped clean but on every other window area - and so the droplets are being taught how to be big and annoying by following the memory rings of prior droplets. And something in it modifies the rainex so a refueling stop sponge/squeegee wipe won't erase them, probably only more rainex.

Quit using it years back and gripe when the pay car wash hits the glass with rainexish rinse treatment. Anyhow, *if* I use it again it will be on front glass only, and only under the wipers sweep...
Welcome to the site, you should be able to post now.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts