Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the past few month's, I purchased a 2015 Winnebago Trend motorhome that was built on a 2014 RAM Promaster 3500 Chassis. Its actually a great pairing since the Promaster is a proven RV platform (its the most popular RV chassis in the world- just never introduced here in the US). The entire concept makes total sense; a fuel efficient front wheel drive motorhome that's full featured and drives like a dream.

Now for the bad news:

Unfortunately, RAM and Winnebago find it difficult to cooperate and communicate. We've had recurrent issues with our Tire Pressure Monitoring System and the electrical seat rotation cutout swithes (incapacitates the vehicle with warning alarms). RAM insists it's Winnebago's issue and Winnebago points fingers ar RAM.

We're in the middle with a motorhome that's been ostensibly undrivable and at the dealer constantly (multiple times) with no resolution or fix in sight. RAM says the problems are caused by Winnebago parts and installed as part of their retro-fit build process and Winnebago says RAM is the responsible party and is no longer even returning phone calls.

I'm considering contacting an attorney to inquire about filing under lemon laws unless the problems are fixed and the vehicle is returned to me in working order in the near future.

After paying $80K for this vehicle (which ostensibly now serves as a very large paperweight), I would have expected more in the way of customer care from RAM, from Winnebago and from my local RV dealer. Of that bunch, I'd have to say that the RAM dealer has been the most supportive and responsive. Nonetheless, the problems remain and there's no ETA for fixing my motorhome which continues to sit at the RAM dealer day after day and week after week.

:(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Is your seat by Ram or Winnebago?

Some guys here have reported seat sensor issues setting off the alarm. I think one guy discovered the sensor heads were not lining up and adjusted their mounting. He ended up having better luck fixing it than dealer did.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Is your seat by Ram or Winnebago?

.....cut.......
I agree it would be nice to hold the seat base provider as the primary responsible party, but in "theory" i can see how it could get complicated.

For instance, even if Winnebago installed the seat, base, and switch per RAM specs, i have to assume the signal has to communicate with the vehicle's computer, and if the underlying problem is somehow with RAM software or wiring then Winnebago can't fix it.

I expect these switches are on-off to indicate whether seat is locked in forward-facing position or not. If not the vehicle shouldn't start. But as I especulate above, it's always possible the switch is working and the vehicle isn't. In that rare case it could be a RAM problem.

Although I can't recommend it for others, I would ask either/both parties to bypass the switch in the lock position (whether normally open or close) and then see what happens. If it runs then it's a seat problem. If not then I'd want RAM to make van run. Granted, I also expect both parties to decline bypassing switch on basis of liability. If so my response would be to OK them locking/bolting the seat mechanically for the test.

As to tire pressure monitoring system I can't see how that could be Winnebago's fault unless they damaged it during RV build.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Winnebago Travato, not sure if the Trend seats/sensor is the same. I had the sensor issue on the passenger side. The two sensors were too far apart. To solve the problem, I disconnected the two wires. No more beeping when the emergency brake is released, and the van starts and I am able to drive. The sensors are normally open.
I have not had the problem on the driver's seat, so I have not disconnected the wires. I just might disconnect them and see if I can drive it.
The seat and sensors are installed by Winnebago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the seats, the seat itself is manufactured by RAM whereas the interlock circuit is added by Winnebago. That's the problem, each merely wants to blame the other. Regarding the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, I'm told it has to do with frequency interference. Again, both Winnebago and RAM are pointing to the other party suggesting it's "your" fault.

I candidly don't care, I just want them to work together to solve the problem...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Sounds like Winnebago's problem, they sell the vehicle - not RAM.
Doesn't RAM vehicle warranty cover the vehicle itself? Like if you had engine or transmission problem. You may buy from Winnebago but they aren't going to fix an engine.

Clearly RAM should cover the vehicle and Winnebago should cover the conversion. The problem comes up when part of the conversion affects the vehicle's operation. Unfortunately this seems to be an issue that seems to come up quite often in the RV business according to complaints from customers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
swivel seats that ROCK (not in the good way)

The position switches are generally poorly aligned, and from what i can determine they are part of the Promaster components required to comply with safety regs. Align better (closer).
If you have the OEM swivel seats (made by Isringhausen/ISRI USA), you likely have a problem. They are loose at critical connection points that cause them to rock with any g force. The manufacturer is doing forensics on mine after 11 months in the FCA process.
Grab the headrest and rock the seat, and see if that explains the uncomfortable feeling you get when the seat clunks on speed bumps and moves around at 60mph...
Stay tuned, ill let you know what they come back with; if they deny a fix, i will offer up the remedy online for us consumers that are getting really poorly manufactured (really well engineered, but embarrassing build quality) seats.
If you have chance to take to Promaster service, register your complaint so we can together encourage them to make it right. They think we too stupid to realize that we getting defective components. Show them they are wrong about that.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,833 Posts
Is this the same swivel that is now being offered as a PM option? IIRC, the swivel I saw in a Winnebago in 2015 was similar to the CTA, available only on the Winnebagos, and nothing like the present PM factory swivel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is this the same swivel that is now being offered as a PM option? IIRC, the swivel I saw in a Winnebago in 2015 was similar to the CTA, available only on the Winnebagos, and nothing like the present PM factory swivel.
I haven't seen the current OEM swivels, but I did look closely at swivels in the Winnebago Travato and Trend in 2015 and the controls/buttons on both of those matched the diagrams in the Promaster Owners Manual. So I assume they were the same as the OEM swivels. I have the CTA swivels and they are not the same as those in the Winnebagos.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,833 Posts
The swivels I saw on the 2015 Winnebago had a rounded red handle center front. 2018 factory swivel handle was inconspicuous in corner trim.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
The factory swivel was not available when I ordered my 2015 in March so I’d guess Winebago did CTA swivels which were available.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The factory swivel was not available when I ordered my 2015 in March so I’d guess Winebago did CTA swivels which were available.
I have no proof of this but I believe that the reason Factory swivels were not available for order was that Winnebago was taking them all. While it is possible that Winnebago may have used CTA swivels when no factory ones were available, the 2 Winnebagos I saw were definitely not CTA's and matched the factory diagrams in every way. They were the factory swivels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, confused by IIRC and CTA... I don't know if the 2016/17/18 OEM swivels are still supplied by ISRI USA or another manufacturer. I'll check in next days and let you know. If there is an option to these POS, ill buy them and leave these in FCA parking lot!
Attached is a pic of mine, cant get video to attach.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply, MsNomer. I Dodged (no pun intended) a death bullet, and back to finish this fight.
To your question, these are the swivel seats made by ISRI USA, - pics attached. Better yet, there is a short video you can view here, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rmBp4mmGuUB0lfw-Cc002HBqREw-HT6U/view
and more discussion on thread "swivel seats that ROCK (not in the good way)".
I have discovered that all pre 2015.08 manufacturing runs that I have seen are loose in critical connection points, and most of us trusting and unassuming consumers have not noticed - yet. They will become looser with age and will be unable to ignore and really disturbing to drive in. FCA too stupid to see the flaw in components they putting in their products and state "this is a normal characteristic of swivel seats". The manufacturer says it is within design specs, whatever they examined after they shipped my original seats to Italy, Germany and back to North America somewhere for "forensics".
Every Promaster owner should be concerned about this; if you have these seats, you have a problem, and even if yours are later production and tight, the coming controversy will devalue all Promasters.
EVERYONE, if you have one of these, speak up, register defect with PM dealer, and if you have later model good seats, can you share your evidence with us, as we need to demonstrate to FCA that one of the components they have included in their product is defective, by comparing new to old to show them this is NOT a swivel seat characteristic.
Thx in advance for solidarity and support of fellow consumers.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts