Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a note I've written to Winnebago as feedback.

2014 Winnebago Travato
Have owned for two months, made 3 short trips thus far.
In general, we like the van very much! There are a whole list of build/component issues that need to be resolved, but the bigger picture is positive.

Easy to Drive
Great visibility from cockpit
Good gas mileage
Very peppy
Easy enough to park in normal lots/spaces
Fully equipped coach
Wonderful screen door
Perfect size for a single, adequate size for a couple

Several of the following items were addressed at the dealer before leaving the lot, but most have cropped up in the first weeks. The van is now sitting at the dealer again... (Longmont Camping World). They have over 700 open work-orders, and are completely swamped, so we are quite frustrated not being able to use our expensive new toy.
Problems:

1. Generator
    Very loud. Can't use in campgrounds without feeling like a jerk, meaning I won't be using it much. Started OK the first few times, now can't rely on it starting. It would seem like someone could design a muffler for a 5HP motor that was as quiet as the 280HP one.
  2. Shower Drain (it's pumped from the floor to the grey tank)

Was fine the first two showers, now there seems to be an internal clog somewhere, and it doesn't drain. It's not the external filter, it must be somewhere in the plumbing/pump.
  3. Grey Water Drain Pump (must hold a switch to drain grey tank)

Awkward, but effective. Hard to tell when to shut off.
  4. Screen door gap
    Big gap between door frame and screen trim. Installed one screw, will need another.
    Screen door opens the wrong way!
  5. Sliding screen windows
    Cannot get any of them to push back in fully! Can get close if I apply pressure in the right spot to get them to enter the groove, but won't latch. Doesn't anyone test this stuff?
  6. Bed Attachment (folds down from wall)

Crappy piece of webbing, with one screw that was already about to pull out from your factory! We reinforced it before leaving the dealer.
  7. Stove Burner
    One burner's thermocouple isn't working, won't stay on.
  8. Refrigerator
    What a pain!!!! Works well on AC power. Was able to get it to work OK on propane once, but only once. Now won't light. Doesn't cool enough on DC to be at all useful. Left it on one night and drained the battery, but the fridge was only slightly cool to the touch. Thus far, completely useless. Having to shlep around a cooler with ice.
  9. Dining Table
    Too large for the area. Support bracket screws already pulled out of the wall.
  10. Jump Seat
    Cushion flops around if seat belt isn't holding it. Won't ever use the seat belts, so it flops around! Guess we'll add velcro. Seat could be better shaped for actual human use. A small pad on the wall would be nice for lounging sideways.
  11. Hot Water Heater
    Generator is offensively loud, so can't use water heater except when on AC, or in boonies. Argggh. I hear the Trend has a propane heater... sigh.
  12. Dash trim
    Reflective plastic chrome on top of dash is highly visible in window... I removed them, and got most of the adhesive off. What a waste of effort to design and mold them.
  13. Sliding door latch
    Not Winne problem perhaps, but it sucks. Have to really jerk on it to open. Seems to be common problem.
  14. Bath compartment latch
    Door on cabinet... plastic knob pieces fall apart. Cheap crap makes Winne look bad, frustrates us to no end. This $1 part makes me rethink my positive comments online.
  15. Bath door slider
    Door didn't slide right at dealer, as the adhesive (!?) wasn't holding the track in place. They added several screws through the track to improve. Of course this shorted out all of the interior lighting as well when one screw pierced a wire and grounded to the chassis. Took forever to figure out.
  16. Awning lamp
    Doesn't work.
  17. Passenger side awning switch.
    Why two awning switches? Bizarre... might have been slightly useful for a second door step switch.
  18. TV in awkward spot
    Not that we have ever tried to watch it... laptop is so much more flexible anyway.
  19. Back door hinge retracting cord
    Broke within a week.
Ideas

1. Dash/foot map holder
    Ram van cupholders are useless and awkward. Put some effort into providing useful storage rather than shiny plastic trim over perfectly good matte black plastic trim. There is a reason every car made uses matte black.
  2. GPS attachment
    RAM clipboard implementation is stupid. Modify to add a mount and wiring for aftermarket GPS. Van's GPS is not adequate for travellers.
  3. Option for battery monitor.
    Something better would be nice for monitoring battery for boonies. Tanks as well for that matter. Probably too much to ask for solar panel hookups...
  4. Screen opening from other side
    Would be so much nicer to have more room at the opening, and have screen retracted behind water tank. I'm an engineer and possibly extra critical, but the current configuration makes no sense.
  5. Reverse bath/bed so door opens at bed
    Opening the door at the rear exposes... a mostly blank panel. Can't realistically open door from the bed. Too late now, but sheesh.
  6. Smaller table, better comfort
    We aren't even overweight, and it's a tight fit. This van isn't going to have a lot of kids in it. I suppose it isn't going to be attractive to obese people either, for that matter.
  7. Raise body at back to clear generator
    I had a 4x4 shop lift the body 2 inches so the axle is the lowest point... not the obnoxiously loud generator.
  8. Move grey water drain switch so you can hear the water flow, and the pump noise.
  9. Tie-downs
    I added some tie-downs internally... great for bicycles, and even a KLX250 sized motorcycle. Selling feature!!
  10. Audio/video library – better interface
    Although both the van radio and coach radio have USB ports for memory sticks, the interfaces are horrible, and useless. Complain to your suppliers! It's 2014. At least the radios have bluetooth, so we'll use OUR electronics.
  11. Sensor for roof vent
    Roof vent easy to leave open when driving away. Didn't break it yet though!
  12. Jump seats with seat belts optional only. Really, why even make a jump seat for other people anyway? A third person can sit for a while, but it's not comfortable. Forget the fourth person entirely, as it's too cramped. Get rid of the seat belts and weighty/large supports. Seriously... gear the van for two people, make customers pay more for extra seatbelts. That generous space could be put to better use, such as a propane water heater!!
  13. Add another screen door to rear. Flow-thru air...
  14. Add OEM hooks, tie-downs, ceiling clips, etc., for common storage items. Small broom, walking sticks, chairs, towels, coats, garbage bag, etc.
  15. Recommend storage accessories... drawer separators, storage bins that fit well in cabinets and on the floor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Winnebago Conversion Vans! I've had a 2000 VW EVC for over 10 years, finally ready to switch to a ram/Ducato (with custom interior as I progress.)
It looks like their design & spec departments really have not listened to any customer feedback in ages. Many of the same things you note are chapter and verse among EVC owners group lists. Screws that pop out, glues that don't stick, little plastic bits that break if you look at them wrong, fridge that usually never works, etc. etc. etc.
I sometimes wonder how Westfalia does so much better with the same basic concepts and environment.

David Richoux - waiting for delivery some time real soon now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some solutions for you...

Great to see somebody having such similar problems to us!

We've been full-timing since the start of 2014, so have come across nearly all your issues - and more. Overall I love the Travato, but Winnebago sure have some answering to do for the shoddy build quality. And I agree there are some fundamental design flaws too.

I've written up all our findings here: travato2014.wordpress.com. Feel free to have a browse, but here are some fixes we've come up with for a few of the issues you listed:

Generator very loud: yeah, we simply don't use it unless we're driving.

Shower Drain: This is incredibly stupid of Winnebago. The problem is the filter on the shower drain pump, located under the base of the cupboard under the sink, is a very very fine mesh while the one in the shower itself, as you've seen, is not really a filter at all. As a result, the pump filter only survives 3 or 4 showers before needing to be cleaned (empty out the kitchen cupboard, remove the base, and then carefully unscrew the little capsule that hangs underneath the pump. Fun! So we've been using cheesecloth, held onto the shower drain with a hair tie. It means we can go a month or so without cleaning the pump filter, although it's not an idea solution. Half a dozen dealers have refused to even approach the issue, because it's a design flaw, not an "issue". Let me know (through our website) if you have any questions about this.

Grey Water Drain Pump: the pitch goes up significantly when it's pretty much empty. After that only a trickle is coming out, and is probably doing more damage to the pump than is worth it for the last few drops.

Bed Attachment crappy piece of webbing: yeah, horrendous! we got this replaced under warranty. They put a proper fixing on it for us. There are some photos here: https://travato2014.wordpress.com/Inadequate-strap-holding-up-bed/

Refrigerator: to get it started on propane just keep hitting the ignitor repeatedly until the line goes into green. I mean, really keep hitting it! We've been told the ignitor is broken, but we can just about make it work with this method. Or, open up the panel on the outside of the van and get somebody to light it with a match!

Hope that helps you a bit. As I said, get in contact through the blog if you have any questions, or any more pointers to share yourself!

·
Registered
66 Posts
After reading your post It just confirms why I will be building my own camper, a few projects at a time. It will then be possible to fasten things correctly and use high end components. My fit and finish might be a little rough but things ain't coming loose on my first voyage. Cruisers and live aboards in the sailing community have been using propane, batteries, and solar effectively so there are plenty of choices. Also when things come apart out there you sink.
It is all personal style , "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance "

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I know your thread is from earlier and I hope you got your Travato done at CW. I live in Longmont and I take my Travato to Transwest RV in Frederick on east frontage road of
I25 south of 119.
I have had them do several things on mine under warranty and I couldn't be happier. I was able to get it in pretty quick and get it done. Your problem with CW is the reason I don't go there for service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We need a way to get feedback/suggestions back to Winnebago directly. The Travato has huge potential. Instead of waiting an entire model year, they should do mid year product refreshes. Come out with half year models if need be. A 2015 and a half for instance.

If they could low pro the gen; roof mount it like the AC? I'd like to see a real gravity drain grey tank and not the pump under the shower. Try and get Cummins to make a true silent muffler for the generator. Or pipe the generator exhaust into the vehicle exhaust system?

A true solar solution and small battery bank would be a welcome option.

A company in China has some panels that are 20% efficient!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/MX-FLEX-Solar-Panel-Sunpower-30Wp_60006849470.html

·
Registered
473 Posts
We need a way to get feedback/suggestions back to Winnebago directly. The Travato has huge potential. Instead of waiting an entire model year, they should do mid year product refreshes. Come out with half year models if need be. A 2015 and a half for instance.

If they could low pro the gen; roof mount it like the AC? I'd like to see a real gravity drain grey tank and not the pump under the shower. Try and get Cummins to make a true silent muffler for the generator. Or pipe the generator exhaust into the vehicle exhaust system?

A true solar solution and small battery bank would be a welcome option.

A company in China has some panels that are 20% efficient!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/MX-FLEX-Solar-Panel-Sunpower-30Wp_60006849470.html
They did just that. Look at their latest versions for upgrades from original.
Generator is not a WGO problem. It's what Cummins supplies and 99% of all RV makers use. Any different brand and the price would be a lot higher

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I never understood is the lack of quality and quality control on RVs and boats.
I mean when you spend $65,000 to $75,000 kind of money you expect to end up with a certain level of quality product... Not a crappy, amateurish put together junk...

Imagine you walking in a BMW, Mercedes, or Cadillac dealership and buy a car cost 65,000 to 75,000 range...
There will be no issues like door handles braking, glove compartments drop opening by themselves, rear passenger window not opening, driver door is not closing properly? Can you imagine?

On a car or truck this level of "lack of quality control" is unacceptable but when it comes to RVs for some reason the answer of a problematic issue becomes a simple " Oh, they all do that!" and most interestingly we all accept that and embrace that product!
Of course a newer model appears on the market with similar or additional newer problems before most of the older problematic issues ever being corrected or even addressed by the manufacturers...
Then they proudly MSRP their product around $100,000 or more...
Shocking isn't it? :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Travato owner since 9/14. Longtime Eurovan Camper owner.
I have added the rear door screen, the Eurocampers pushbar, and the best addition is the stowaway2 box on the rear hitch. Got rid of the Winne front window screens curtains and replaced with Eurocampers window screen, much easier to use.
Anybody had luck finding the correct after market front seat covers?
I have also lost the rear mudflats three times twice left one time right. Sure I was driving places I should not have been in a two wheel drive 10,000 lbs vehicle; but 200 dollars each! Ouch..
FYI not yet had any problems with the generator hitting or scrapping.
Long story, but I almost turned over the travato one time. While it was mostly off the ground I was surprised that I did not notice any frame flexing.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
What I never understood is the lack of quality and quality control on RVs and boats.
I mean when you spend $65,000 to $75,000 kind of money you expect to end up with a certain level of quality product... Not a crappy, amateurish put together junk...

Imagine you walking in a BMW, Mercedes, or Cadillac dealership and buy a car cost 65,000 to 75,000 range...
There will be no issues like door handles braking, glove compartments drop opening by themselves, rear passenger window not opening, driver door is not closing properly? Can you imagine?

On a car or truck this level of "lack of quality control" is unacceptable but when it comes to RVs for some reason the answer of a problematic issue becomes a simple " Oh, they all do that!" and most interestingly we all accept that and embrace that product!
Of course a newer model appears on the market with similar or additional newer problems before most of the older problematic issues ever being corrected or even addressed by the manufacturers...
Then they proudly MSRP their product around $100,000 or more...
Shocking isn't it? :eek:
Wow! You having a bad day?:eek:!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't turn off the radio sound with GPS on

We are new owners of a 2016 Travato 59K. Have taken it on a 3300 mile trip with no major problems. The 59K floor plan is very different from the 59G so the problem you all are having would not apply to us. The one change we made was to add 2.5" memory foam toppers to the rock hard beds.

Assuming you have the Tom Tom GPS you have to turn the radio on to power the GPS. How do you turn the sound down on the radio without turning down the voice on the GPS.

So far we really like the ProMaster. Handles very well in all situations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Assuming you have the Tom Tom GPS you have to turn the radio on to power the GPS. How do you turn the sound down on the radio without turning down the voice on the GPS.

So far we really like the ProMaster. Handles very well in all situations.
I have the 2015. I just select the Radio, and turn the volume to 0. Or pressing the "Mute" button on the steering wheel, silences the Radio. GPS and Phone Volumes are adjustable when selected.

Love my Van. It has its "Quirks", but nothing I can't live with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I totally agree with your comments. The total cost of upgrading some of these features couldn't be more than $500. I did solve the gray water drain switch problem. Went to a dealer and purchased a replacement switch for the pump switch next to it. Removed the quick connect and the cover plate and reinstalled. Works perfectly.
The track for the screen on sliding door has broken twice. To repair it they had to replace the entire window. This is a several hundred dollar fix for a two dollar problem. Now the track for the shower door has split, checked at dealer and must replace the entire door to the tune of $575 plus shipping. This is Winnebago's fix for a piece of plastic track that couldn't cost more than ten dollars.
I am not sure who put in the Tom Tom GPS, Winnebago or Dodge but it is a piece of crap. Generally use Google Maps app on my phone.
The table and jump seat problem would be easily solved if the table was removable. Agree that it is just too big. Have thought about rebuilding it but haven't yet.
One stupid Dodge design is the adjustment for the seat backs. It is located at the corner of the seat. There is no way my wife can bend forward to reach the lever and lean back to adjust the seat at the same time. Just plain stupid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts