Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anybody knows of a windshield shade that fits these vans perfectly? Does RAM make one specifically for these vans? Getting ready to get really hot here in Texas every little bit helps.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Hi,
I have the Eurocamper one and it fits well and silver on the outer face and somewhat insulated.
It fastens with suction cups, which sounds a little Mickey Mouse, but actually works well.
We use it mostly for a privacy and insulating shade at night for camping, but I guess it would work well during the day for reflecting sun -- but, not as well as an outside one.

http://www.eurocampers.com/2014--on-Dodge-ProMaster-3-piece-Cab-Window-Insulation-Set--advanced-7-layer-material-uses-suction-cups_p_1100.html

Gary

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I have the Eurocamper one and it fits well and silver on the outer face and somewhat insulated.
It fastens with suction cups, which sounds a little Mickey Mouse, but actually works well.
We use it mostly for a privacy and insulating shade at night for camping, but I guess it would work well during the day for reflecting sun -- but, not as well as an outside one.

http://www.eurocampers.com/2014--on-Dodge-ProMaster-3-piece-Cab-Window-Insulation-Set--advanced-7-layer-material-uses-suction-cups_p_1100.html

Gary
Hey Gary - do you have a couple pictures of the interior with shade put up that you could share? Curious about coverage.
Also - how storable is the shade set? Does it roll or fold? How big it is when stowed? I've made a front shade from leftover Reflectix, but its huge when rolled up.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Hey Gary - do you have a couple pictures of the interior with shade put up that you could share? Curious about coverage.
Also - how storable is the shade set? Does it roll or fold? How big it is when stowed? I've made a front shade from leftover Reflectix, but its huge when rolled up.
Hi Auser,
This page on my website has several pictures of the windshield cover in place from inside and outside: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/PMRV/Curtains/Curtains.htm

My seems to fit pretty well.

We fold it up into a flat package rather than rolling it up. I just measured it as 33 by 15 by 2 inches. We stow this in the shelf or cubby above the driver and passenger seats. I'd say the material is about the same thickness as the Reflectex, but maybe a bit more flexible and compressible.

This is just conjecture, but I do think there is some value in having some thickness of insulating material in the shade for both summer and winter. In the winter, its clear that the insulation helps prevent heat loss out the window, but I think that in the summer with the reflective layer inside the windshield, the glass absorbs some of the solar radiation as it comes into the van (about 10 to 15% for clear glass), and then when it gets reflected, another 10 to 15% is absorbed by the glass as it goes back out. So, the glass warms up from this absorbed radiation, and the warm glass tends to heat the inside of the van by convection over the warm glass. Having the insulation behind the reflective layer helps to keep that heat from the warm glass out of the van?

It just occurred to me that for the winter it would likely be more effective to put it up with the reflective layer facing inward -- don't know why did not think of this before.

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts