Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a great deal on some slider windows from TriStateSurplus @ eBay. (Thanks K.O.V.) I got two 40" X 18" for the middles and two 35" X 18" for the rear quarters. Thing is, they're made for vertical installation. Now that I've had a chance to inspect them closely I'm convinced I'll have no trouble using them in a horizontal orientation. I'll need to make some new weep holes in the (new) bottoms of the frame and seal the old weep holes on what will now be the trailing edge. There's also some plastic bushings on the frame made to support the window resting in its cut-out that I'll have to slide around to the appropriate spots. Other than that I don't believe there's any real difference in the way the windows are manufactured, vertical or horizontal.

Has anyone else tried this?

Also it appears the trim ring with these windows can be used either with a 2" thick frame around window or reversed and clamp tightly directly to the sheet metal - there's roughly a 1/16" gap between window frame and trim ring, which would be about right for the thickness of the sheet metal plus butyl tape. Has anyone installed their windows this way ... without building a frame? Any problems?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So has no one else just mounted their windows directly to the sheet metal (like when doing a sunroof)? Everyone here who installed their own windows built out a frame? I'd sure appreciate some feedback before I potentially waste a bunch of butyl tape or experience leaks or rattles. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
The sheet metal is pretty thin. Depending on the window size and placement you probably need some kind of inside frame. Most Windows come with a trim ring which acts as an interior frame (sort of).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Motion Windows mount directly to metal with butyl tape but without trim rings. I mounted two. This works well for these windows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts