Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to order a 2018 136" hightop for a DIY conversion. A shame the factory side and back windows don't open so spec'd out some motion windows. Pretty pricy compared to the stock option but at least they open. Any reason to consider ordering with the side and or back factory window or just install what I want?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,079 Posts
Hi,
I think that fixed, non-opening, factory back windows are not such a bad idea as they eliminate any possibility of sucking exhaust fumes into the back windows with potential for CO poisoning.

I've heard good things about the Motion windows.
CRL also makes custom windows that open for the PM, and they also make "universal" (non curved) windows that I (and others) used on the PM conversion as PM walls where the windows go are nearly flat.
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/promaster-diy-camper-van-conversion-adding-windows/

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I would order the window in the sliding door and the back two windows. Then add two or three motion windows or those factory look awning windows from CRL.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I don't know now. At first I was going to get both the backs and the side. But given they are so tinted and don't open I thought what good are they other than they look so **** good. But then again, why not just get them and put a nice motion or two on the drivers side. But why pay for them if they really don't serve a purpose. :confused:

·
Registered
176 Posts
dklassen, I ordered my van with the factory rears, and I quite like them. Though I'm adjusting quickly to the back-up camera, it's nice to have the option of looking out the back, while while going forwards and backing up. They come in a really nice dark tint. I ordered 4 Motion windows, full size for the slider and behind driver, and 1/4 size for the rear panels. Placed the order 2 months ago and still no sign of them even being ready for shipping, so that sort of time frame is useful to keep in mind if you go that route. I see the windows as the real first step in my build and I'm just accumulating parts in the garage until I get them installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine doesn't have any side or back windows. I would absolutely order it with a window in the slider. That is the one true blind spot in that vehicle. IF you pull up to a corner and are not at an absolute 90 degree (or less) angle you can't see traffic coming from the right side. I have been waiting months for a local glass place to get a window in for my slider door. Back windows you can order already installed or get ones that open which I would probably do. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mine doesn't have any side or back windows. I would absolutely order it with a window in the slider. That is the one true blind spot in that vehicle. IF you pull up to a corner and are not at an absolute 90 degree (or less) angle you can't see traffic coming from the right side. I have been waiting months for a local glass place to get a window in for my slider door. Back windows you can order already installed or get ones that open which I would probably do. Good luck with whatever you decide.
My van had two back windows and the slider window from the factory. Then I Installed a crl window in the front panel behind the driver's seat. Any less windows and I'd feel like I were trapped in a box.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
I have been waiting months for a local glass place to get a window in for my slider door.
ProKat,

If your PM is a 2014, you might want to contact me regarding the slider door window. Not sure where you are located, but I may have a solution!

ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts