Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Getting started on our ProMaster RV conversion, and wanting to add windows on the right and left side panels.

Not finding much in the way of windows made specifically for the PM, wonderign about these possibilities.

- Use a flat windows.
There is a wide selection non-curved windows for RV's -- some even offer double glazing, which would be a plus.
For an about 20 inch high window, a flat window's vertical edge would touch the body at the middle and stand off about 3/16ths at each end. I am thinking about the possibility of using a 3/16 shim under the top and bottom edge of the window. Not sure how bad that would look, and whether it would really work?

- Use Sprinter windows.
Wondering is the curvature of the sprinter van side walls is close enough to the PM to allow using windows intended for the sprinter -- as in the ones that CR Lawrence makes?

- "Universal" contoured windows.
DK Hardware shows some "universal" contoured windows all made by CR Laurence.
http://www.dkhardware.com/universal-contoured-van-windows_ZC500M0P1.html
Talked to them briefly about this, and plan to call back and get more details, but if anyone has any experience or advice on this approach.

Any other ideas?

I'll put up a post for the conversion as soon as we have a little actual material. Spent yesterday and today doing full scale mockups in the van of two possible layouts. Looking a bit tight in our 136 WB, but doable.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
Search for rv windows and you'll find a million. The best deals are on eBay. I bought two 24x20 tinted, opening frameless with screens for under $150 delivered for the pair, don't worry about the curvature flat flat one will go right in just remove the interior stiffener, of course, first and always use butyl tape (¾")

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search for rv windows and you'll find a million. The best deals are on eBay. I bought two 24x20 tinted, opening frameless with screens for under $150 delivered for the pair, don't worry about the curvature flat flat one will go right in just remove the interior stiffener, of course, first and always use butyl tape (¾")

Thanks.

When you install the flat window, does the window flatten out the curvature of the PM side wall, or does some part of the window frame curve to match the PM?
Not sure what frameless means?

$75 a window would be very welcome :)

Gary

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
It straightens out the sidewall but it's almost flat anyhow. Frameless are what is on there now. No visible frame just glass. When I get back to my computer I'll post some photos of my install.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
Big, big bucks though from CR Laurence and only available thru their distributors. and the windows from Ram would cost you a fortune and not open!

Probably the best solution if you do want windows all around is order a window van. They only charge a few hundred extra for all the windows from the factory. You can then remove one and replace it with an aftermarket opening one if you like.

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
Here is a description on how i installed my windows along with a few photos.

First, I removed the center inside braces by drilling out the pop rivets and cutting the foam adhesive behind them with a hacksaw blade.

Then I traced the cutout on the inside first using a paper template, drilled a hole on the bottom and side for reference and then marked the template on the outside over heavy paper packing tape so when i cut it out with mu jig saw the paint wouldn’t get scratched.

Next I sealed the window frame with butyl ¾” tape and put the window in place. The windows weren’t that heavy that the tape wouldn’t hold them but to be extra sure I also tied them in place from the inside. Next i screwed the inside trim ring on over 1-¼ “ wood fillers I had made up in advance. The trim rings were made to fit either 2” or 1-¼” finished walls depending on how you mounted them.

The finished job.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting, but confusing. Top pic shows removed center 'stiffening brace' leaving side wall area roughly twice as wide as it is high.

Then following pics show 'stiffening brace' in place & installation of roughly square window?

Did you just relocate brace a little toward rear?

Did you look for a large window that would fill entire area?

Also "pop rivet" is a registered trademark & a type of fastener I've used for many years. Didn't see any.

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
I just moved the brace over a few inches. I didn't want big windows just the size I put in. The braces were tack welded in, I just drilled the weld out and replaced them with pop rivets. It turned out it was stiff enough without the brace but I wanted it to screw into when I do the trim out.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys,

Chris -- I like the way the CR Laurence windows look, but we really need opening windows, and I did not see any that they offered that open.

KOV -- I like the way you did the windows.
Just want to make sure I understand:
- They are flat windows.
- When you install with that inner wood 1.25 inch spacer frame and inner trim ring, as you tighten the trim ring screws, it just pulls the curvature out of the PM side panel with no problem.

In the pictures, I can't really see any distortion or flattening of the side -- it looks very nice.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
Correct. The side is almost flat anyhow and tightening up the inner clamp ring makes it fit perfectly with no visible distortion and it was just as stiff with or without the inner brace which I only put back in for attachment points for interior paneling. Be aware that windows come with different size trim rings though. Mine just happened to come with 1-¼" , 2" depending on which way you use it. The trim ring for my Sprinter fit right against the sidewall sheet metal. I guess it just depends on where you buy them. eBay has good deals but you have to take what you get at the same time. I think the CL Laurence windows will/are available in full size for the Promaster and also will open if you choose that option and will look more like the factory windows. I just didn't want big windows and sorta want to keep the "stealth camper" look if you know what I mean!

As I said before, these are called the "new look" style which simply means no visible outside frame. Personally, I like it better and think it fits the
Promaster look of no visible frames on any windows.

Good luck - eBay has tons of them in all sizes and styles. Just be sure they come with screens and the interior trim ring if you do get them from eBay. Mine came from a place in Michigan called Tri State Surplus (or something like that) and they gave me a break on the shipping because I bought two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very nice job. Does the butyl tape frame the cutout or is it folded over the cutout edge? How does the trim ring attach to the wood filler and outer side wall? Does mounting hardware come with windows? It looks like the right side (right behind driver seat) doesnt have much wall extending from the brace to accept the trim ring mounting hardware. This seems like the best solution for adding opening/screened windows wherever needed. Thanks for the tutorial.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi GaryBis

You probably have this sorted by now but if you have not; here is another source for Promaster windows. They have windows for all panels of Promaster both opening and fixe manufactured to curvature of the PM . You can buy direct from their factory.

They also have a double gazed RV version that they will make to any size you want opening or fixed. This version is flat so you would need to take this into account.

Motion Windows
http://www.rvwindows.com/
6005 NE 121st Ave,
Vancouver, WA 98682.
+1 (360) 944-4446Telephone:
+1 (360) 213-1274FAX:
[email protected]il

Here is a link to a blog for a couple in the UK that did a DIY Ducoto camper conversion. They have some great detail on installing windows that are flat onto the curved PM walls.

I agree with Keeponvaning that the flat surface window can be installed on the curved surface.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi GaryBis

You probably have this sorted by now but if you have not; here is another source for Promaster windows. They have windows for all panels of Promaster both opening and fixe manufactured to curvature of the PM . You can buy direct from their factory.

They also have a double gazed RV version that they will make to any size you want opening or fixed. This version is flat so you would need to take this into account.

Motion Windows
http://www.rvwindows.com/
6005 NE 121st Ave,
Vancouver, WA 98682.
+1 (360) 944-4446Telephone:
+1 (360) 213-1274FAX:
[email protected]il

Here is a link to a blog for a couple in the UK that did a DIY Ducoto camper conversion. They have some great detail on installing windows that are flat onto the curved PM walls.

I agree with Keeponvaning that the flat surface window can be installed on the curved surface.
Thanks Dave,
I've been working on the furniture and electrical and I'm just getting to the point of ordering windows.

The link to the UK blog did not appear to make it through -- could you post it again?

Gary

·
Registered
233 Posts
Link to UK couple van conversion blog " Deep Red Motorhome"

Hi Gary,

Sorry about the missing link I gapped!

http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/index.php

The UK couple are using Dometic SEITZ S4 series windows. http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Window-Systems/products/?productdataid=69750

Seitz are widely available in Europe and the most popular OEM window over there but, are painful to get in North America and pricy. I am looking into using them on my conversion.

If you have not purchased your batteries yet you may be interested in these Lithium Ion Batteries from Belqon Corporation out of CA.

Balqon is 17% owned by Winston Battery (Chinese Corp) so at the moment as far a I can tell they have the the cheapest plug and play lithium ion batteries on the market. A 2.6 Kwhr battery cost $1,430. in amp hr terms at 70-80% depth of discharge (3000-2000 cycles) you get approximately 150-170 usable amp hrs.

Aside from marine battery manufactures (marine markups/prices are off the charts) Belqon may be the first company to produce lithium ion batteries that are packaged and tested to to meet shipping regulations as a pre-assembled and tested battery complete with built in battery management system.

Balqon Corporation – Manufacturing
1420, 240 th Street
Harbor City, California 90710
Phone : (310) 326-3056
Fax : (310) 326-3058
Email: [email protected]
http://www.balqon.com

Dave

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Gary,

Sorry about the missing link I gapped!

http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/index.php

The UK couple are using Dometic SEITZ S4 series windows. http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Window-Systems/products/?productdataid=69750

Seitz are widely available in Europe and the most popular OEM window over there but, are painful to get in North America and pricy. I am looking into using them on my conversion.

If you have not purchased your batteries yet you may be interested in these Lithium Ion Batteries from Belqon Corporation out of CA.

Balqon is 17% owned by Winston Battery (Chinese Corp) so at the moment as far a I can tell they have the the cheapest plug and play lithium ion batteries on the market. A 2.6 Kwhr battery cost $1,430. in amp hr terms at 70-80% depth of discharge (3000-2000 cycles) you get approximately 150-170 usable amp hrs.

Aside from marine battery manufactures (marine markups/prices are off the charts) Belqon may be the first company to produce lithium ion batteries that are packaged and tested to to meet shipping regulations as a pre-assembled and tested battery complete with built in battery management system.

Balqon Corporation – Manufacturing
1420, 240 th Street
Harbor City, California 90710
Phone : (310) 326-3056
Fax : (310) 326-3058
Email: [email protected]
http://www.balqon.com

Dave
Thanks Dave,
That blog on the Ducato conversion is really good! Just spent about an hour going through it.

I've already picked up a couple of 6 volt, 200 ah golf cart batteries from Costco ($180 total), and have well bolted down space for them built. Will keep the Li batteries in mind for a few years from now when the current one poop out. It would be nice to have the less weight and bulk.

Gary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts