Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a second look when my local dealer finally received a 136 low roof (the size I'd probably want but with windows). As far we know this won't be built. There is the driver side slider option with window but I really don't care about the door, just the window. I'd rather not have the extra claptrap.
This time I noticed the windows are just glued on top of the sheetmetal. There is apparently no recess stamped in for the glass. I'm guessing you could just cut the holes and install your own factory windows. I measured, and the glass from the standard slider would fit both middle and rear of the driver side perfectly. The only issue would be the passenger side rear where the track takes up the bottom couple inches. Don't know how much a replacement side window costs but this does increase my interest.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about how to make your own window van.

You could probably order the side glass from the all-window van (159" WB high-roof) to use where you need the lesser-height piece above the door sliding rail. What is the middle window in the 159WB van would then be the rear-most window in the 136WB van

Let us know if you follow through with your idea and how it works. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I said this in another post. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless I understood it wrong you can't get windows on the sides in the back unles you get a passenger van. The cargo van has options for rear door windows and sliding door (left and right side) windows only.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
One option is to add aftermarket windows like those used on RVs and travel vans. They come in many sizes and styles. Many can be opened for added ventilation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a 3500 extended that I'm using as a motocross bike hauler and really need some side windows. I'd love rv style with a slider for ventilation when I'm camping, but want flush style glass like the factory. I wonder if you can get any of the euro aftermarket windows in the U.S.?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Obtain, some newer RVs like the Thor Vegas and Axis models use tinted "frameless" windows. However, I don't know how they open. The only flush mounted windows I've found for RVs tilt out. Windows that slide open seem to have a small frame, like you can see on this picture of Winnebago Travato. They are not as clean looking, but then RVs have all kinds of external add-ons anyway.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Im thinking they tilt out like windows on typical passenger vans and even pickup's, that would be the ideal way to go about this iMO.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Im thinking they tilt out like windows on typical passenger vans and even pickup's, that would be the ideal way to go about this iMO.
They're even better for camping in my opinion.

The ones I've seen on small Euro-style trailers pivot out much more; with glass going out to almost horizontal. The screen is on the inside of glass, and the window opens close to 100 percent of opening to provide lots of ventilation. The glass when out all the way also works like a small awning to keep light rain out.

Compared to typical van windows you mentioned above (which I have on my Ford van), I expect you can't drive around with windows wide open (not that anyone would want to).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking about this more, if it's simple to add windows, RAM could offer them as dealer installed options. Then you could include them in the price for financing/leasing as well as warranty. That would be cheaper than stocking different configuration of window vans.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I called CR Laurence yesterday and they have solid windows in stock now. Awning or "T" style windows that open will be available in 3-5 weeks. There's no pictures on their website for the PM windows but here is what the Sprinter ones look like http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=67771&GroupID=41646&History=30587:21889:16124&ModelID=41646
I wonder if it will fit in the opening side window from the factory?

Very interested in this. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also, according to several Sprinter upfitters I have talked to, if you want T-style windows it's best to get the van from the factory WITHOUT windows. They say it is easier/cheeper to cut the metal out than to take the glass out and repaint. I'm not sure how this is possible, but both companies I talked to said the same thing with higher prices for a van with factory windows.

Again, this is for Sprinters, as I've just started researching ProMasters. And it doesn't look that hard to do a DIY window install.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I called CR Laurence yesterday and they have solid windows in stock now. Awning or "T" style windows that open will be available in 3-5 weeks. There's no pictures on their website for the PM windows but here is what the Sprinter ones look like http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=67771&GroupID=41646&History=30587:21889:16124&ModelID=41646

According to the guy that installed my fan, these guys are the best. I wrote them an e-mail two months ago to ask them if they were working on windows for the PM. Never got an answer, so I'll phone them, can't hurt.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can't wate untill they have the flush T windows available. It's such a pain not having a window in the slider, and dangerous.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I second the opinion that C R Laurence is a really top-notch place for anything related to glass (not just automotive glass). I have no affiliation with them; I'm just a satisfied customer.

I'd love to see their line of ProMaster window products. Maybe making your own window van will be relatively painless. I still can't figure out why Ram won't let you order a window van in any size you want. That would be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Promaster windows are starting to show up on the CR Laurence website. Just do a search for Promaster on the site, there are 12 matches, with about 8 of those having pics and fewer getting the description information filled out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts