Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to pull hard or fiddle with switches on both doors and maybe the window will move up or down. Seemed like something strange at first, but now I think the switches must be bad.
Please help advise me on why my window switches are not functioning well.
Thank you. Have a good day.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
422 Posts
The chances of both window switches failing at the same time seems pretty slim. The windows are controlled by 2 switches, 4 relays and the body control module. The drivers side windows switch and the BCM are common to both windows, so I would suspect the drivers side switch is the culprit. It probably gets the most use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chances of both window switches failing at the same time seems pretty slim. The windows are controlled by 2 switches, 4 relays and the body control module. The BCM is the only thing common to both windows.
I will open up switches and see if they are corroded. I seen a video of that issue. I think maybe water rained on them and corroded them by previous owner possibly. But I will keep trying to figure it out.
Thank you for helping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will open up switches and see if they are corroded. I seen a video of that issue. I think maybe water rained on them and corroded them by previous owner possibly. But I will keep trying to figure it out.
Thank you for helping.
I did not find any corrosion inside the switch circuit boards all look clean. How should I trouble shoot these options you mentioned ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
948 Posts
Try rocking the switch back and forth 50 or so times then plug it back in and see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts
There are also sprays for cleaning contacts if dirty/corroded contacts are causing the problem. I could be misinterpreting, but it seems that you are saying that both doors' switches have problems, which is curious to me.

Reactions: travel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are also sprays for cleaning contacts if dirty/corroded contacts are causing the problem. I could be misinterpreting, but it seems that you are saying that both doors' switches have problems, which is curious to me.
Yes both door switches behave the same, I push and pull hard on switch for window and maybe it will function but mostly don't, but once in a while they might work. Might be motor or relay. I will check next.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
422 Posts
It appears from the wiring diagram the the window switches are wired in a master/s primary/secondary configuration. Thus if you have issues with the primary (drivers side) you will have issues with the secondary (passenger side). Sorry that I can't copy the wiring diagram, but basically the drivers side switch is the source of the "up" command for both the windows to the BCM .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears from the wiring diagram the the window switches are wired in a master/s primary/secondary configuration. Thus if you have issues with the primary (drivers side) you will have issues with the secondary (passenger side). Sorry that I can't copy the wiring diagram, but basically the drivers side switch is the source of the "up" command for both the windows to the BCM .
I didn't have much luck. I tried to probe the switch wires and I could not locate a relay, in diagram or manual. I was hoping to find the relay and test that. I guess I will test straight power to window motor next. Window switch wont go up or down, but if you keep pulling hard on switch sometimes it functions. Thank you for any help.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
948 Posts
Window switch wont go up or down
What does that mean? The switch assembly is supposed to be stationary. Do you mean the switch toggle can't be operated? Then the problem is obvious. Below you seem to indicate the switch does operate.

but if you keep pulling hard on switch sometimes it functions
That indicates that the problem is probably in the switch, unless you are pulling hard enough to affect the harness connections. The motor, relay? and wiring do not know how hard you are pulling on the switch.

Did you "Try rocking the switch back and forth 50 or so times then plug it back in and see if it makes a difference." ?

Most switches can be disassembled but you have to be very careful, there are some small parts and usually a tiny spring or two and they are tricky to put back together.

I have taken apart and repaired tons of switches over the years, I speak from experience.

Go to a wreckers, get a switch or two and try them. The same switch might be used in other ram/chrysler products

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does that mean? The switch assembly is supposed to be stationary. Do you mean the switch toggle can't be operated? Then you need to get a replacement switch.

That indicates that the problem is probably in the switch, unless you are pulling hard enough to affect the harness connections. The motor, relay? and wiring do not know how hard you are pulling on the switch.

Did you "Try rocking the switch back and forth 50 or so times then plug it back in and see if it makes a difference."

Most switches can be disassembled but you have to be very careful, there are some small parts and usually a tiny spring or two and they are tricky to put back together.

I have taken apart and repaired tons of switches over the years, I speak from experience.
Yes I opened the window switches up and they looked clean didn't see any issues. I sprayed electrical cleaner on them and reassembled, but no good results. I tried to probe switch wires with test light but didn't do well on that. Maybe I can jump the switch wire and get the window motor to move to see if that proves its the switch. Wiring is my worst skill.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
948 Posts
Sometimes the toggle/seesaw or the plastic inside the switch deforms if the switch has overheated and then the contacts don't contact properly.

You could try powering a good sized 12 bulb through the switch to see if it will carry current.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometimes the toggle/seesaw or the plastic inside the switch deforms if the switch has overheated and then the contacts don't contact properly.

You could try powering a good sized 12 bulb through the switch to see if it will carry current.
I cant get a response out of the switch or motor using test light. rocking switch. I tried running straight power to window motor but it seemed locked, heated wires fast. I cant tell if its the switch or motor now, still confused. and hoping I'm not causing more problems with my testing methods. I used my power drill battery to the motor two wires. that should have went up or down right? and I have power at one switch wire but rocking switch and checking other wires I don't get nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What does that mean? The switch assembly is supposed to be stationary. Do you mean the switch toggle can't be operated? Then the problem is obvious. Below you seem to indicate the switch does operate.

Did you "Try rocking the switch back and forth 50 or so times then plug it back in and see if it makes a difference." ?

Go to a wreckers, get a switch or two and try them. The same switch might be used in other ram/chrysler products
I can move the switch fine all looks good but the window wont go up or down.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
341 Posts
Do you have a yellow adapter and AlfaOBD? You can command the windows up and down from AlfaOBD to narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a yellow adapter and AlfaOBD? You can command the windows up and down from AlfaOBD to narrow down the problem.
Thank you all. I will consider everything. I had two recalls available so I asked if they could diagnose wiring. Maybe buying the tool is better option? Recall appointment two weeks out.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
948 Posts
I would find another switch to try, even if you have to buy it. The same switch might be used in other ram/chrysler products.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,447 Posts
Wonder if that part of the van might be Ducato (Fiat).

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts