Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a lot of people asking me about window shade options in their builds do I thought I would post a follow up on my previous posts on a more advanced window shade install for a better option to suctions cups. You can also apply the same construction in a nice shade easily if you have access to a sewing machine or purchase them completely made. So complements of Cardiff Campervan (cacampervan.com) here is a simple how to tip for those whom don't have a sewing machine and want to keep their build on a budget!

This is for those wanting functional shades on a budget for part time use:

What you need: (Its a crazy long list and will cost you all of 100-125 including the specialty tool)

• Reflective Insulation-Low-I or bubble wrap reflective insulation available at any home improvement store-basically bubble wrap with reflective insulation
  • Duct Tape
  • Snaps-Stainless steel fastener screw Snaps (available online or upholstery store)
  • Snap Fastener tool (so you can put the snaps on; these are handy anyways to have)
Magnets (if you choose not to use snaps to mount)

Start with cutting the insulation to fit the window. Since I am doing this for CRL Windows I simply traced and cut. No special tools needed!

Next take the duct tape and wrap it around the edges, you are going to need to reinforce the edges for the snaps.

You may have to modify the snaps so that when you mount them the screws are not to long, in the CRL Windows I simple drilled a hole and screwed them in. You can also do this on your sheet metal, just be careful you don't drill into your outside sheet metal of course.

http://

After you do this then align your snaps on your window cover to you snaps in your window from you just mounted so they line up. I find this is easier rather than mounting the snaps on your window cover then mounting your screw snap your window frame. You simple just punch a hole and mount the snaps with your special too.

Finished shade with snaps That wasn't too hard right?

Now you have a perfectly fitted window shade!

For the rear windows I will post a follow up post...you simple use "wings" with magnets to attach the windows...again super simple. You would use this if you don't want to drill any holes or you have a factory window with no frame to mount snaps into and don't want to drill into the sheet metal of your van. You can also use marine grade mounting and really do a nice shade.

It might not be a pretty solution, but it inexpensive and easy to do in a half day. Use a little creativity and you can make them look really nice. You can easily use the same technique to make shades if you have a sewing machine and go to the next level. In this case I wanted to show the low budget, low skill level technique.

When you store them just roll them up! If they get damaged...easy to fix!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice! Simple and effective.

So, off topic, what's the info on those seats?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks Slamit! This might also be a good option for a privacy curtain to use between the cab and the "house" of the van. Do you have a link to the tool you used?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,519 Posts
Another option--a few dollars more, but no assembly required: Magic Shades from Walmart--the pop-up ones that fold into a circle. I leave some magnets on the metal above the windows, then just lay the shades on. This works behind the cab, too.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Slamit! This might also be a good option for a privacy curtain to use between the cab and the "house" of the van. Do you have a link to the tool you used?
Any "snap setter" can be used. Easily available at fabric stores, amazon...mine was $40...but I use it a lot and wanted a quality one. It was Ironwood Pacific Snap Setter for fastening; works real nice, but I also use a cheap one using a hammer and that works also for just doing a few snaps. You can get them for as cheap as $5 on amazon.

The covers I made here are specific for "budget window coverings" with little or no tools. Cover them with cloth and you can see you can do something really nice looking.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I found it easiest to sew some edge binding around each piece after it was cut to fit. Then bond a few tiny magnets around the OD using a dab of Goop adhesive. They stick right on and cling well. HF sells tubes of powerful tiny magnets that work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts