Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to repost this for others interested in window shades... easier to find with the search engine. Others' window coverings installs are welcomed!

Took a few years, but now that the windows are all framed, I ordered and installed cellular shades.
They are "top down, bottom up" dual cell shades...

I selected them because:

1) they are double cellular - more insulation value, less transparent, but not opaque.
2) the TDBU feature usually has strings in the center area of the open space. On these, the strings are at the edges.
3) the strings that keep tension on the shades are attached to the window sill at the bottom so the shades don't sway around while driving
4) very strong magnets keep the headrail attached tightly

One side

and the other,

Up position

Note the way the shade on the slider doesn't stick out so there is no interference when opening or closing.

The feature that puts the strings at the edge and fasteners at the bottom is called "Clearfit" and is very hard to find. These are house shades, not RV shades, and there is only one company that makes 'em. I found 'em at HD but the found other online business that also sell them. One week from order to delivery. Not cheap, but less than flimsier RV versions with a much poorer design on the string part. Mine are light filtering, I thought the room darkening were too dark!

The same shades are sold under the Norman Shades brand name at American Blinds.com, Blinds.com, and SelectBlinds.com (and at HD... but cheaper via the web)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those look great. I especially like the slider application, since that is the only side window I have. More ideas for when I get started building mine out. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Your frame and shade solution is the best I've seen anywhere!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JC,

Here's some measurements:

top cabinets are 13 3/4" hi and 6 3/4" deep.
cabinet doors are 24" wide by 11 1/4" high.

over the slider the cabinet is just 5 1/2" high - not much space, but it covers a lot of curved,angles metal!

I viewed a number of factory RVs before building mine, and they all felt really cramped and tight. Most of it came from top cabinets that, at least for me, were too wide, leaving a tunnel-like feeling up the middle. When I designed mine, I specifically made 'em less deep for a more open feel - the cabinets have a 55" space between them. Plenty of room.
I didn't make a back, just the metal of the van covered with a thin foam/aluminum foil insulation product.

The cabinets aren't really cabinets, just a shelf and a front - attached to the van at the top front and back bottom with rivnuts and 1/4-20 bolts.

·
Registered
734 Posts
JC,

Here's some measurements:

top cabinets are 13 3/4" hi and 6 3/4" deep.
cabinet doors are 24" wide by 11 1/4" high.

over the slider the cabinet is just 5 1/2" high - not much space, but it covers a lot of curved,angles metal!

I viewed a number of factory RVs before building mine, and they all felt really cramped and tight. Most of it came from top cabinets that, at least for me, were too wide, leaving a tunnel-like feeling up the middle. When I designed mine, I specifically made 'em less deep for a more open feel - the cabinets have a 55" space between them. Plenty of room.
I didn't make a back, just the metal of the van covered with a thin foam/aluminum foil insulation product.

The cabinets aren't really cabinets, just a shelf and a front - attached to the van at the top front and back bottom with rivnuts and 1/4-20 bolts.

Thanks. Your comment about feeling cramped has been my concern. Do toy think the depth had been adequate for you? I think I may go a little deeper.

Thanks for the help. Your carpentry skills are awesome.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,556 Posts
You might want to mock up what proeddie did before you change it. That is a tremendous amount of storage space as-is. And his approach would trick the mind into thinking the van is wide than it is. Brilliant.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JC,

We don't miss the space we don't have in the cabinets. They are deep enough inside for the stuff we store up there. The two back cabinets behind the pocket doors are actually about an inch deeper, and we don't even notice the difference. Most of the stuff we store up there is flexible, like towels, underwear, small items my wife buys while shopping, etc. I use plastic kitchen containers for some items, and that keeps stuff organized. If you don't make a cabinet back, you gain about 2", but the stuff does get a bit warm on a hot summer day! No candles (or candybars) stored up there.

Big stuff fits below under the couches. One has batteries, tools, bedding, etc. The other couch has my foldup screen room, flagpole, etc. That one has plenty of space for the larger items.

Kitchen cabinet has lots of space too, so top cabinets are plenty bug enough for us. Keep in mind we use the PM for 1 to 3 day camping, interspersed on longer trips with hotel stays.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts