Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I think I would just smash the drivers of passengers “vent” looking window, reach in and open the door.
Just say’n not doing it!

·
Super Moderator
10,870 Posts
If they want to get in no stinkin’ latch is going to stop them! This junk just makes the owner feel safe ;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I would just smash the drivers of passengers “vent” looking window, reach in and open the door.
Just say’n not doing it!
If they want to get in no stinkin’ latch is going to stop them! This junk just makes the owner feel safe ;)
So, why do you fellas bother locking your doors if it only encourages B&E?

·
Super Moderator
10,870 Posts
So, why do you fellas bother locking your doors if it only encourages B&E?
Big difference from passively opening an unlocked door to get in and breaking a window to get in (usually) ;)

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I have been robbed. Thieves who want in, will get in. You are at their mercy. Leaving the door unlocked invites opportunists and they are not so likely to break a window. I once left my keys in the trunk at Old Faithful rushing to get some pictures while touring the country. Everything was in our car! When we returned over an hour later there was a nice note on our windshield. It said “Your keys are in your trunk, we waited for a while to make sure no one would get in but we finally had to leave, sorry we couldn’t wait longer.” The keys were still there as was everything else.
I lived on a private road in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont for 35 years, an area not noted for crime before the days of Meth everywhere. We almost never removed the keys from the car or truck, never had a lock on the barn, and seldom locked the house. Never had a problem either. Insure it, lock it, let the insurance pay you for the losses, move on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Even Better.. This may be a "PROBLEM SOLVED".. See this stuff:

http://www.hurriguard.com/

You get a sheet of this and jigsaw it to the shape of your windows from THE INSIDE of your vehicle. For sure the windows closest to the side mirrors as that is what they always smash out.

When you go for a hike, or at night when you are away from the van, you put this on your windows from the inside.

To hold in place, while you are gone, you can use metal straps slid into the window glass recess, or flip over latches, or angle irons or many other little metal doo-dads. They suggested getting the thick steel mending bars from Home Depot and putting a tiny angle iron on them so they don't drop into the door window roll-up/roll-down recess. You then pop the Hurrigaurd over the side windows, put the metal holding gadget up to hold it there and go off on your hike without worrying about your computers.

We just saw a demo of this stuff getting a wooden pole shot at it with a cannon, over and over, and the stuff would not break. It is a fancy form of Polycarbonate tested by Florida to withstand a ballistic hurricane force.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Then there's 3M Automotive Security film.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mlsYmgKgtl8
While I have heard good things about this film, I have to say the person is not exactly attacking that window. Also, I wonder about the added thickness to the glass and if that would some day become an issue with the up/down operation of the window.

It is certainly clear that it would serve as a deterrent for those "parked at the trail head" opportunists.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Security film on vehicle windows will make it harder to break in. Depending upon the type, it can be considerably harder and will certainly take more time. That being said, if given time and alone in an area, will still be able to break in. Many / most auto security films are also available in a solar version. Thickness is not an issue and in normal use, they will last 10+ years on a vehicle and are typically warranted for lifetime (of single ownership). If the transition is made to laminated glass on side windows, it will be much harder to break in via those windows, but still doable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts