Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my research, I've concluded that there's really three companies that people seem to be using for windows. Motion, CL Laurence, and Dometic are the brands I'm finding. Out of the three, Dometic looks like they are the only ones who make insulated (double pane)--Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm interested in a double pane setup and really like their features- integrated blind & bug screen but they are extremely hard to allocate. Anyone know a different brand I missed? Thanks

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Another +1 for Dometic/Seitz windows. My van has one and it's amazing. No condensation and VERY well insulated. A little pricey, but really nice. The S7 line is the creme de la creme, so expect a high price tag. The s5 is nice, (what I've got in my van) but does stick out a little more than the S7 and isn't tinted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another +1 for Dometic/Seitz windows. My van has one and it's amazing. No condensation and VERY well insulated. A little pricey, but really nice. The S7 line is the creme de la creme, so expect a high price tag. The s5 is nice, (what I've got in my van) but does stick out a little more than the S7 and isn't tinted.

Do you have a good photo of the S5 installed?

·
Registered
243 Posts
From my research, I've concluded that there's really three companies that people seem to be using for windows. Motion, CL Laurence, and Dometic are the brands I'm finding. Out of the three, Dometic looks like they are the only ones who make insulated (double pane)--Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm interested in a double pane setup and really like their features- integrated blind & bug screen but they are extremely hard to allocate. Anyone know a different brand I missed? Thanks
Motion will also make double-pane slider windows in their custom line - sliders or fixed glass.

Some of the RV manufacturers who use Seitz/Dometic will also sell retail e.g. NorthStar Campers

Tern Overland. They carrier a line that is similar to Dometic. Excellent customer service. I have two windows sitting the garage waiting to be installed. I hope to get to them in the next 2 weeks.
Which ones did you get? I've got a 450x1100 on order for the driver's side B-panel.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
Which ones did you get? I've got a 450x1100 on order for the driver's side B-panel.
I have 500x900s for my (dual) sliders. I ordered the 550x1100s originally and realized that they were 7mm too tall for my space. Never opened those boxes, so they were easy to return and replace.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Still trying to make this decision myself. Seems to me theres the high end that is CL Laurence. Not a option to me.

Then theres the lowest end which is like these below. Can also find similar priced ones on ebay but quality and condition seems to really vary. At least this link is new with clamp ring. But, these are cheap plastic windows.
http://www.hannarv.com/P/InchxInchDegreeRadiusTrailerWindowWithScreenClampRingFits/34086

Then there is the ones Tern sells in the US. Those are the windows 99% of RVs in Europe use. I dont think the prices are too bad on the mid sized ones. My only concern is that to close the window you have to open the screen which could let the bugs in. And how well theyd hold up to be open while driving. Or if thats even something that should be done.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Do you have a good photo of the S5 installed?
I didn't take these photos, the previous owner did, but here you go:

The first photo has the privacy screen up. I actually like it better than the S7 privacy screen as it's black out vs a fabric.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree these are nice. If you're not concerned at all about looking like an RV-in-a-van then it's a great option. Good blinds, open wide, can be opened in the rain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ThomD-

Thank you for the info and link. I really liked their customer service and they were extremely friendly. I placed an order for 4 windows and can't wait to get them. They also informed me that Dometic no longer supports North America so I'm glad I'll be able to get warranty and parts with Tern. again, thanks for replying to my thread

·
Registered
71 Posts
How are you liking the Terns?

David - Have you installed the Terns that you ordered? I am thinking about these and was hoping to get hear one more opinion. Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
David - Have you installed the Terns that you ordered? I am thinking about these and was hoping to get hear one more opinion. Thanks!
I’m not David, but I’ll give you another opinion :)

I’ve installed mine and am happy with it. See my build thread (linked in my signature) starting at post 62.

We are still deciding what to do with windows for the rear panels. I don’t plan on using Tern behind the slider, too much chance of me opening the slider with the awning window wide open too - crunch. (Others may be less forgetful than me and it would be ok though) I may put another one on the driver’s side -still pondering.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m not David, but I’ll give you another opinion :)

I’ve installed mine and am happy with it. See my build thread (linked in my signature) starting at post 62.

We are still deciding what to do with windows for the rear panels. I don’t plan on using Tern behind the slider, too much chance of me opening the slider with the awning window wide open too - crunch. (Others may be less forgetful than me and it would be ok though) I may put another one on the driver’s side -still pondering.
I think I have decided to go with the Terns. Am I correct that in choosing the wall thickness I want the thickness with the insulation, interior paneling and vehicle wall? I am going with 1 inch polyiso, 1/8 paneling and I am guessing that the vehicle wall thickness is 1/8 or less. This would put me in their low end range of 24-34mm...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I have decided to go with the Terns. Am I correct that in choosing the wall thickness I want the thickness with the insulation, interior paneling and vehicle wall? I am going with 1 inch polyiso, 1/8 paneling and I am guessing that the vehicle wall thickness is 1/8 or less. This would put me in their low end range of 24-34mm...
Correct. Note that if you plan on attaching your paneling to the van framing, it’s wider at the bottom than the top.

·
Registered
386 Posts
... another quiet thread re-awakened... since some of you have installed Tern windows and maintained use of the factory panels (as I intend), I am reading conflicting measurements for the wall-thickness spacers (or whatever this is called) to order. It seems the minimum thickness is the one?

... as an aside, what space is available for insulation thickness when using the factory panels? Is it still 2" for polyiso? - I am wondering because visually (from pics) it seems the panels are recessed somewhat compared to home-built panels. Is the clearance the same for the slider?

Many thanks for any responses... getting ready for van arrival next few weeks...

·
Registered
243 Posts
... another quiet thread re-awakened... since some of you have installed Tern windows and maintained use of the factory panels (as I intend), I am reading conflicting measurements for the wall-thickness spacers (or whatever this is called) to order. It seems the minimum thickness is the one?
It depends whether you want your trim ring above the factory panel surface or not. I’d do mine the same again with the thicker than standard trim ring because the screen/shade assembly connects to the trim ring. Either you will have the screen assembly inset in the factory panel at the bottom, or have it proud at the top. (Or perhaps both with the middle trim ring. I think that’s what @ThomD did.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts