Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Keeping me busy this morning
I don't want the exhaust to look compromised or hacked. Resonators are usually added to tune out drone. I don't know if eliminating it will be problematic. With one custom elbow/pipe I can keep the resonator and have it look professional. I reused a factory hanger. Local shop says 40-50$ for an elbow I have drawn up.

View attachment 66295

It will point down more when installed.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Any concern with full tanks moving fore and aft when braking or accelerating?

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They are snug fit, 1/8" movement fore and aft if I really force it. I have two layers of 3/16" closed cell foam on top and one layer over the top corners. I think I will use expanding foam between the tanks and cross rails for extra packing. Maybe blocks of 1.5 foam board foamed to the underside of the floor between the tanks and rails to make sure there is no side to side movement possible

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Is the muffler shop going to weld on the new elbow right at the muffler, or custom make you a piece that will clamp on?

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Great build thread, @83Grumman ! I missed it entirely because you started it when I went on my year-long hiatus from here due to traveling.

Please post another exhaust video when you are done. Those cavities under our vans are huge but are seriously compromised with the silly placement of the exhaust pipe and the e-brake cable. Your solutions fix this.

Do you notice any exhaust smells filtering into the cabin?

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I removed the problem intake bolts, coated them with anti seize and filled the pockets with grease.
Interesting that you could remove them. I tried and they seemed to be held captive by the housing. So I ended up blinding dabbing vaseline onto the bolts to prevent further corrosion.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is the muffler shop going to weld on the new elbow right at the muffler, or custom make you a piece that will clamp on?
I am hoping he is skilled with the expander and can make a clamp fit. I can slit it if I need to, there isn't any real back pressure at that junction.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I was just out looking at mine.
There's 2 sections with clamps.
I wanted to play van mods this weekend because I'm running out of nice weather. This is the time of year when it's sunny and 72 all week while at work and then it's rain and wind on the weekend. But my wife wants to do stupid anniversary stuff.
Anyway, it looks like I might be able fashion everything out of what's there. Hopefully.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I was just out looking at mine.
There's 2 sections with clamps.
I wanted to play van mods this weekend because I'm running out of nice weather. This is the time of year when it's sunny and 72 all week while at work and then it's rain and wind on the weekend. But my wife wants to do stupid anniversary stuff.
Anyway, it looks like I might be able fashion everything out of what's there. Hopefully.
Happy anniversary!

I removed the muffler to work on it. After removing the rear section I took out the muffler hanger mount bolts, those rubber hangers are hard to pop, even when oiled. It was easy to wiggle the muffler pipe off the front pipe on mine but I have very low mileage. I used a little oil in the joint.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yeah, I've already been through a winter. I'm thinking that if I decide to do this, I should probably get it done before the van has another winter under it's belt.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Probably unclamp the tailpipe where the 2 clamps are, then spend an afternoon eyeballing, holding things in place, measuring,....then have to drive the wife's car to work for the following week while the van sits in the driveway.
Then possibly put it all back together because the weather stinks and decide to just do it in spring and I probably shouldn't have taken it apart in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Had an exhaust elbow made today. I would have like mandrel but crush was easier to get. I took the muffler and the resonator to the shop, he bent an elbow and expanded the ends to fit. The elbow fits over the muffler outlet and into the resonator pipe.
When I get back to work I will tweak it to give a little more clearance. It needs a slight down turn exiting the muffler. Maybe a few degrees with a pie cut and weld. I will install the heat shield I removed from the bay over the elbow.
I'll look around at the wrecker for some other hanger to support at the elbow.

I slit the pipe and used the factory clamp from the removed extension pipe

Hanger mount attached with rivets

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd really like to know what tanks you mounted under the floor. I'm up to this part and can't seem to find anything that fits inside the rails like yours do.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thank you. That's exactly the tank I wanted to get but the e-brake is in the way. I see you added an electric e-brake, but maybe I can reposition the stock stuff. I do weld. Hmmm...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts