I thought I might as well start a build thread

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Seat base pictures

I cut out/lowered my bases 3"

I attached two same sized pieces of plywood so I could put it through the saw using a metal cutting blade. Slow and steady through the saw. I didn't actually cut them next to the van, that could create a problem.

I didn't cut all the way through on the table saw which worked well to hold things together. I finished the cuts with an angle grinder

I brought the cut pieces to work and welded them, the welder was busy so I did my best.

Little detail of how I attached the plywood to keep this plumb and level

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
89 Posts
Nicely thought out and executed, 83Grumman. Can you tell me how you accomodated the emergency brake on the lowered driver's seat base? Pics, please, if it is convenient. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nicely thought out and executed, 83Grumman. Can you tell me how you accomodated the emergency brake on the lowered driver's seat base? Pics, please, if it is convenient. Cheers.
I am planning to convert it to an electric parking brake. I bought a small linear motor which I hope to install underneath just in front of the axle which will eliminate the cables running down the middle opening up the bays for other things.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,604 Posts
I am planning to convert it to an electric parking brake. I bought a small linear motor which I hope to install underneath just in front of the axle which will eliminate the cables running down the middle opening up the bays for other things.
What length and lbs rating did you get? I measured approx .5 to .75 (IIRC) of movement on the equalizer bar when I was pondering the electric brake.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Even without the seat mod, I like the idea of getting rid of the cables.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What length and lbs rating did you get? I measured approx .5 to .75 (IIRC) of movement on the equalizer bar when I was pondering the electric brake.
I bought a cheap 175 lb 2" actuator. I'm not to worried length about of stroke, I plan to install a spring that will pull the cables. The amount of force will be determined by the spring length/strength. I'll just activate the actuator for a few seconds until it bottoms out. Once I find a spring of the appropriate strength I can adjust the force of the pull by adjusting the placement of the actuator relative to the equalizer bar (spring between). There can/will be no preload on the spring. I might use some type of threaded rod/bolt as a linkage between bar and spring or actuator and spring. Clear as mud?

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
89 Posts
Not too muddy at all but insofar as the electric brake I will let you be the pioneer and follow in your inventive footsteps.

As to a lower seat base, I was guided by a fellow forum member to a replacement 4" lower seat base. Unfortunately the supplier's reviews, both on this forum and elsewhere online, are not confidence inspiring. So I'm back to Plan A: having my local fabricator chop the stock base as you did.

How much to chop the base becomes the important question. I am 6' 3" tall wth a 36" inseam. My eyes are positioned only 1" below the top of the windshield when driving. Allow me to ask your height and inseam, and your impression of whether your 3" base reduction was to your satisfaction or if in retrospect you would have cut less or more. Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much to chop the base becomes the important question. I am 6' 3" tall with a 36" inseam. My eyes are positioned only 1" below the top of the windshield when driving. Allow me to ask your height and inseam, and your impression of whether your 3" base reduction was to your satisfaction or if in retrospect you would have cut less or more. Thank you for your help!
I am 6' tall with 33" inseam. I chopped my bases 3". I drive with the drivers 6 way seat 1-2 clicks up at the front for thigh support. I could comfortably drive with the front up 2-3 clks and the back up 1clk. I use less thigh support than I thought I would. I often adjust 6 way or electric seats when driving long distances for variety. I suggest you see how your thigh feels on you present seat and build your bases based on that and whether you can see traffic lights. My view it just where I like it.

If I was doing it again I would have made the back 3/8" lower than the front on the drivers and on the passenger side at least 1/2" maybe 3/4" lower than the front as it has poor thigh support and when swiveled it feel like it is tipped to the front of the seat. I will eventually correct/adjust the passenger so it tilts back more.

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
89 Posts
Thanks, 83Grumman, this is very useful info for me and good points to consider.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This post was in "Wall paneling..." #18, I copied it here.

I used trunk liner fabric over closed cell packing foam. I also used a little expanding foam under the layers that I carved after hardening to smooth over a few irregularities and fill certain areas to eliminate detailed coping of the panel edges.

I used different adhesives by Loctite. I like the max strength headliner adhesive (Acklands Grainger). I just spray both surfaces lightly and stick it in place. If it didn't adhere to my liking I peel it back and spray a little more to reactivate then stick it again. So far all of my edges will be held down by panels or weather stripping. I didn't put both layers under the weather stripping, only the fabric.

Waiting for warmer weather to get back at it.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I installed a virtual rear view mirror last week. The weather is getting nicer and I've got some time. I'm perfectly comfortable driving trucks with only side mirrors and I like the side mirrors on the van but thought it might be nice to see directly behind when putting on the miles.

I mounted the original rear view on the clipboard and put the dash cam rear view screen on it so it adjusts and swivels. I gotta finish hiding the wiring properly but I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It displays a 12" x 2 1/2" image from the rear camera, you can adjust the view up or down by swiping. It also records front and rear.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I got my 15 gal water tanks hung today. No plumbing yet. Initially I will use them as a supply and a grey, not for drinking.
I want to build the plumbing so I could use both as supply tanks if necessary. I will use hoses, nothing rigid.

Strong tie straps 10 ga

Polyurethane coated MDO Crezon boards and temp? heat shield

Clearance

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,604 Posts
Have you given any thought to just run the exhaust straight out side?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts