Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I like the van I can't stand the look of it. If they don't change the look for 2017 I think i'll go with the transit.

·
Super Moderator
10,870 Posts
I wouldn't count on it but then I think the Transit is as ugly as they come, other than the Nissan NV, of course.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with keeponvaning, the transit is but ugly! Looks like a pig snout. The Nissan is just stupid looking, absolutely no logical thought went into that design. But to each their own. If you like it then go for it. Do your research first though as I have several friends who have them and they have been replacing rear brake pads at an alarming rate. 15-20k miles. Strangely the fronts have lasted for about 40k so far! They haven't replaced them yet...

·
Registered
121 Posts
The medium roof Transit is not too bad...the low roofs are pretty strange looking, especially the long wheelbase...it's like something squashed it. The Promaster is the lesser of two evils in my eyes...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Haven't heard anything about getting the updated bodywork from the new Ducato. Its been a couple years in Europe now.

As for the Transit instead, I saw lots of them on the road in my recent cross country and back drive. The low roof looks decent, if its not too long. The mid roof you can really see the 'pig snout' grill. And the high roof is really a rolling skyscraper.

Be sure to check out the interior of the Transit. Probably the biggest thing that turned me off with the interior was the center console. With the seats positioned for my short legs, it made it far more difficult to move to the back compared to the Promaster.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
When I looked at the medium roof I felt there was not quite enough head room and (I am only 5’8”) to add an insulated floor and ceiling. It also would have been a smidgen narrow to sleep across as I want to stretch out and not bump my head or feet. It just didn’t work and needed three steps up for my short legs. Oh and the pig snout!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with RD about the Transit medium roof being a tad to low by the time one insulates the floor and ceiling. The high roof Transit is too high even after doing the floor and ceiling. This is one of the reasons I chose the PM over the Transit. I suspect that Ford figured the RV conversion within the body (Class B) to be such a tiny bit of the market that they chose roof heights best for the mass market to tradesmen, etc. I bet Transit conversions are mostly going to be B+ and Class Cs.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I wonder what else will change.
Considering TPMS is required it seems to me a backup camera should be required in the PM van. Even if you have rear windows there is no way to see a small person behind you. To get the camera you have to have the Uconnect 5 so it is a spendy option. A rearview camera and a mirror video would be cost effective.

·
Registered
179 Posts
BU camera is standard on Transit & camera is integrated inconspicuously in license frame.

PM BU camera is a bulky, clumsy, expensive, black box & factory option only.

Both OEM units feature small screens a fraction of the size they put in Hondas.

Could not pull the trigger on a regular length LR Transit. Ford managed to build a van that was bigger in all outside dimensions - But smaller inside! The scrawny seats were also a major disappointment, particularly went going from my Club Wagon's excellent seats.

Left on fence b/c of Ram Truck's fickle BusinessLink ProMaster distribution setup & huge lack of dealer support.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,500 Posts
Facelift? I spend 99% of my time on the inside looking out not on the outside looking in. Ram needs to tweak the inside and make every thing DRIVER friendly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts