Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've converted my T1N Sprinter for camping, and I'm thinking about selling it and using the money to get a new Promaster for another camper build.

I currently have a queen size bed on a platform running lengthwise in the Sprinter, because of the smaller width of the wall. I know that the advertised interior dimensions of the promaster would be a bit cramped for me if I went crosswise as I'm 6'2", but I'm wondering if there's a little room for creativity in the spaces the rear windows typically go.

I know I'll need some insulation, but depending on that width perhaps I could fit something in there. I'd be happy to get creative here or spend some extra money if it affords me extra space for a seat in front of the bed.

Can someone please measure the absolute width in the rear window spaces? The bed platform would be tall enough to fit bikes underneath with the rear wheels still on.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why not take your tape measure to a dealer and measure yourself? I have insulation and interior paneling and a cross wise bunk. It is only 70 inches across which is OK for me at 5'8" but I think it would not work for anyone over 6'

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is 78.5" across on the inside. There are vertical beams that will come out in the window areas. They are loosely attached with caulk and a little tack weld. We are in the process of building out a camper with our 2015 136WB Hi roof. Bed will go across, husband is 6'0. Our challenge is what material to put around the small windows above the bed. We are likely going to use automotive carpet. Slamit06 has good pictures of its use. Windows came today so we're ready to go after the fabric comes in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will! Sorry, I should rephrase that. I was hoping someone could just quickly make a measurement so I can start to get excited about the planning part of it. I realize that's a little bit of an ask from a random internet stranger, but I promise I'll pay it back in build threads!

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,677 Posts
I would measure for you, but I'm afraid my windows might not give a precise measurement.

That 78.5" is consistent with what I'm seeing. My mattress is exactly 72". It, plus sheets and two tucked blankets, fits comfortably between the rails below the windows, which are each at least 3" wider in their mid-section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jessep - with the upper factory interior panels in, it's just over 74 where you drew the red box in your pic. Like any van, it isn't perfectly square inside. I can confirm you can get a short queen (74x60) in crossways as I just got that mattress yesterday and did a test fit this morning. My mattress is actually 73 1/2 and it's an acceptable squeeze fit even lower than where you've got highlighted. I haven't pulled the panels off, but doing so would reveal more room of course.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
If that works just insulate with 1" polyisocyanurate glued to the walls and you will have 75". I have the panels in and there is about an additional inch under them with that insulation, and that is enough too. I left the verticle rib in on one side and used 2" of the space for my windows on the other. I have 74" left. BTW many people seem to like a bed about 4" more than their height. I think 6'2" may be the maximum height for an across bed sleeper in the PM.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hallo, Friend.
I did have Sprinter too 2500 158"wb 2006made Bed made on a back windows line across got 71" (inches)
On my new 2015y ProMaster bed on same position on a bottom line of back windows with insulation on a "windows" my beds across 75" (inches)
Here a video for you
https://youtu.be/ifGVN4DZF_M

uncle Nik

Reactions: jessep

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beds sideways

Hi, I put in the beds sideways in the back of my 159" HR PM. I bolted the supports to the walls and made some sort of bunk beds. They overlap by 8" in order to save space. The lower one will also be used as a seat for the fold down table. The beds in between the 2x6 are 70 cm wide, the lower one is 183 cm long, the upper one is 177 cm long. I used IKEA slats and cut down two 6" twin mattresses as seen on the picture. Very comfy!
On the higher bed I can still sit up (75 cm) to the roof bow. The lower one is high enough from the floor, so that at daytime the porta potty fits underneath.
The two beds together take 140 cm from the angled back of the van. That leaves me a nice storage room in the back.
Victor

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I like this as an idea in a 136" van and I toyed with a similar one with a large storage space boxed in at the back of the bottom bed but my wife nixed it as we had traveled on the Coast Starlight train which has a similiar bunk. With 12 inches of overlap there is plenty of room to have a shower/bathroom in the shorter van. The IKEA slats are a great product and I used them for our couch to bed expanding sleeper. BTW the IKEA mattress can be found in many widths by searching catalog products. Very Comfy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts