Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a nice Van Dyke!

I'm convinced, based on no empirical evidence at all, that something about the aerodynamics of the PM is VERY different from regular vans. The way ice builds up on it, how fast the windshield needs squirted and how much actual ice builds up on the AC condenser...all different. Does it stand to reason that a slicker shape means less clinging boundary layer, and therefore more stuff gets deposited on the van? Dunno.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Different I agree.

I get less rain splatter on my windshield from following other vehicles. A great feature flying down the highway in heavy rain.

But strangely, I can hammered by rocks and gravel flying off cars. I already have one stone chip in the windshield.

I love driving with the windows down. Very little wind noise. That's strange too. I love that feature. Love windows down.

Twilight Zone Aero Package

·
Registered
171 Posts
The van was designed to have a low drag coefficient since high cost of fuel in Europe.
Its Cx (or Cd) is 0.31 (don't know if all models or only low roof), comparable and better than many passenger cars, but it has a larger frontal section area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The low noise level when driving with the side windows rolled down was one of the first things I noticed after getting mine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The van was designed to have a low drag coefficient since high cost of fuel in Europe.
Its Cx (or Cd) is 0.31 (don't know if all models or only low roof), comparable and better than many passenger cars, but it has a larger frontal section area.
How do you know what its Cx is?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ewww...that stings!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Looks like a nice Van Dyke!

I'm convinced, based on no empirical evidence at all, that something about the aerodynamics of the PM is VERY different from regular vans. The way ice builds up on it, how fast the windshield needs squirted and how much actual ice builds up on the AC condenser...all different. Does it stand to reason that a slicker shape means less clinging boundary layer, and therefore more stuff gets deposited on the van? Dunno.
Part of it may be that all the plastic trim isn't as slick/slippery as the glossy/smooth trim on most vehicles? It could be giving all the ice a better chance of sticking.

That doesn't explain the hood though. The ice could start to build up along the almost vertical lower edge, then continue to build from there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That mustache looks close to the mayflies built up & glued to my pickup during a July crossing from the Dakotas to Vancouver - the little Canadian Border agent gal had to get a wet towel and scrub the tag to get confirmation the paper I handed her was on that truck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts