Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a ProMaster review on the web, by someone clearly not qualified to be reviewing anything. This professional writer, slammed the ProMaster for being FWD and pointed out a failed FWD pickup truck done years ago. It got my blood boiling.

I threw this sketch together so show why the ProMaster works so well as a FWD drive vehicle. It's all about the center of gravity "empty" and "loaded". The ProMaster has the C.G. working in its favor better than Ford, and nothing like a pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Even with the drawings(nice drawings by the way) they just will not get it.
Been in Europe for 30 years,but introduced here and its no good.
Afraid of change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was just reading a ProMaster review on the web, by someone clearly not qualified to be reviewing anything. This professional writer, slammed the ProMaster for being FWD and pointed out a failed FWD pickup truck done years ago. It got my blood boiling.

I threw this sketch together so show why the ProMaster works so well as a FWD drive vehicle. It's all about the center of gravity "empty" and "loaded". The ProMaster has the C.G. working in its favor better than Ford, and nothing like a pickup truck.

True enough,

but is it Art ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Even with the drawings(nice drawings by the way) they just will not get it.
Been in Europe for 30 years,but introduced here and its no good.
Afraid of change.
I know what you mean. I was all set to buy a Ford Transit. Then I found out they changed it to rear wheel drive. To me Ford should have just reworked the Econoline body and gave it a Mcpherson strut front end. They could have saved themselves a bunch of money. When I found the Promaster and saw that Ram didn't butcher it up, I ordered it on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I know what you mean. I was all set to buy a Ford Transit. Then I found out they changed it to rear wheel drive. To me Ford should have just reworked the Econoline body and gave it a Mcpherson strut front end. They could have saved themselves a bunch of money. When I found the Promaster and saw that Ram didn't butcher it up, I ordered it on the spot.
Makes me jealous when I look at what's available in Europe. I checked after reading your post the European Ford Transit: it's available in front, rear or all wheel drive. Why are we treated differently?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm waiting for the Promaster diesel for my american company, but if it was available I'll prefer the 2.3 mjt 150 hp.
In Italy I have a Ducato L2 H2 with this engine.
It's faster than you expect . When empty, It runs on the steep highway that connect the Venetian plain to the Dolomite mountains (where I live) at 90-95 mph without problems. With 1000 lbs of weight I can keep on the same highway 80-85 mph with a good reserve of power. Fuel consumption average 25-26 mpg...
Here in Europe the 3.0 lt engine is considered an heavy duty unit and it's used only on RVs and always full loaded vans.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Well, let's say they had offered a Fiat Ducato as it is sold in Europe, I would have seriously considered it, knowing it is well tested.

Maybe we should reconsider our need for "big motors". People in Europe don't seam to drive any slower than we do with their "small motors". I mean, some of their highways are just wild (sorry Vale72 ;) ).

·
Registered
247 Posts
We are not so wild now...
They need a lot of money and we have to respect the speed limits: police and alcol tests averywhere.
The situation is not so dangerous...people almost in the northern Italy is driving slower (also because of the fuel prices) and safer.
We have no more accident than in USA. In Italy we have 58 deadly accidents every million people. Europe average is 54 every million.
Too many but almost the same of the USA...
About the engine dimensions, our vehicles have less miles at the end of they operative life, so the engine generally are less lasting than the US ones...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts