Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Ram Promaster being a FWD body on frame van has made me wonder why we don't have FWD body on frame pick-ups. If this set-up works for industrial/cargo vans, then why not for a pick-up body style for regular customers?

I wonder if the Promaster sparks a FWD revolution in the pickup world...

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is the norm in europe, vans are the basis of pickups. I have an old VW Transporter (Vanagon) doka crew cab that does everything I need it to.

The only thing stopping a van/pickup in my mind is that they need an all wheel drive variant, to sell in good numbers in the USA, and they should only sell the crew cab version (seats up to 7!)

Still I think there would be resistance as most would want more under carriage clearance than what the PM offers.

By contrast my VW doka has 10-12 inches of underbody clearance and there is no live axle 'pumpkin' in the back, so it is true clearance!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have seen conversions of 4wd pickups to custom car haulers. The frame behind the cab becomes a low slung trailer/bed with a drop axle. This is really not that hard with part-time transfer cases. The front axles are still rated high enough to power the vehicle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well and especially for small pickups, mind you for some reason the powers that choose have decided north america doesnt need small pickups anymore, which is surprising becasue every single segment is downsizing except for pickups. I wonder if thats pure margin protection... what would ford, chev, ram do without pickup sales.....

close shop, likely...

what do you think the likely hood is that RAM gives us a true body on frame small pickup based on Promaster architecture? I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to shorten the frame..

·
Registered
386 Posts
pickup trucks? if you load a ton of weight on the back and the power goes to the front wheels there is a chance of having traction issues.

another issue is that its near impossible to develop a FWD transmission and diff that could handle the insane towing. There just isn't as much space. Plus many of those pickup trucks have a TON of torque and if you add that with FWD you'll just get insane torque steer.

Plus imagine trying to fit a V8 into a FWD platform? Geez that would be impossible.

Imagine if this was FWD lol
That Tundra is towing 300,000lbs....

It works for the Promaster because you aren't really towing. You are hauling. And the weight it hauls is nowhere as much as what heavy duty pickup trucks tow.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The new small pick ups will likely be unibody, not body on frame.
Isn't the ProMaster unitized construction? And so will be the new Ford Transit. Not following the body on frame references.

I recall compact FWD pickups in US market decades ago. Sales were so slow they were discontinued. Just not much demand -- at least back then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Chance
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing