Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found that the sound of this diesel is just right.

Its not the extra loud clattering mess that is an Cummins straight six from years ago. Yet its not trying to be ultra quiet like some of the new 'luxury' diesels from BMW, MB, and others.

I've often found myself driving for hours with the radio off, just listening to the engine. Especially if driving up and down hill and dale. Or through the twisties at the same time, having it shift up and down gears.

I really like it in 6th gear, right at 1600rpm. (I have an UltraGuage installed, so i get my digital RPM display, along with other stuff). At that speed it has just the right amount of rattle and grunt.

One thing I do miss though, I wish it had more of an audible turbo whine. You can hear it a bit at speed when you really stand on it, but not so much in general driving. Ah well...

All in all, just another reason I'm pleased to have bought the diesel over the gasser. Its not all about economics, payback periods, and ROI.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yahoo! Let the diesel lovers rejoice! I’m all over this!

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Oh de diesel - avaibile now at your local service station ;(

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Mine doesn't run long enough to enjoy it :(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
"Yes, and except for that Mrs. Lincoln did you enjoy the play?"

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the sound, but I like more almost 25 mpg avg mountain sport driving ,hauling a lot of tools oh yeah,& shower, furnace, sink,stove,toilet,fold up couch,full queen bed, ability to haul 2 dirt bikes,4 x8 sheets plywood sheetrock,12 ft lumber & so far reliable 115k miles, yep,like the sound of it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the sound, but I like more almost 25 mpg avg mountain sport driving ,hauling a lot of tools oh yeah,& shower, furnace, sink,stove,toilet,fold up couch,full queen bed, ability to haul 2 dirt bikes,4 x8 sheets plywood sheetrock,12 ft lumber & so far reliable 115k miles, yep,like the sound of it.
I only average about 21 and that's lightly loaded all highway :(

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There is something really strange about your diesel. I just returned from AZ to NH and averaged 25.9 which is a bit lower than my normal 26+ on long trips and about equal to my 33,000 mile average. Most responders to the mileage for diesels get mine or near. I am lightly loaded and tend to travel about 65 on the highway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is something really strange about your diesel. I just returned from AZ to NH and averaged 25.9 which is a bit lower than my normal 26+ on long trips and about equal to my 33,000 mile average. Most responders to the mileage for diesels get mine or near. I am lightly loaded and tend to travel about 65 on the highway.
Now after they replaced the maf... it's very sluggish down shifting and barely holding speeds up slight grades even down shifting on flat roads... few weeks ago when I drove to fl which is roughly a 1k miles i averaged 21 mph that's hand calculated well i use a fuel card that you enter the mileage then i can pull up a report... anywhere from 19.88 to 22.46 but only got 22 once

·
Registered
227 Posts
Rhodanish , i agree with RD, there is something wrong. my worst mileage has been about 21 or 22 mpg in high winds in western states at 80mph speeds. fuelly says im at 23.7 for 150k miles.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I’ll tell you from others experience here it probably is NOT the turbo. Was your mileage better than 21? It should have been 24 at least and FCA might have a solution to that code as they saw it early on and bought back a couple of vans after the turbos were replaced and it did not fix the issue. They should have had plenty of time to research it by now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’ll tell you from others experience here it probably is NOT the turbo. Was your mileage better than 21? It should have been 24 at least and FCA might have a solution to that code as they saw it early on and bought back a couple of vans after the turbos were replaced and it did not fix the issue. They should have had plenty of time to research it by now.
I've never had better then 21.. 19-21mpg with hardly anything inside with out me in the van it weighs 6075lbs

In the 5 months I've owned it has had egr valve, egr cooler, waste gate, waste gate solenoid, vacuum canister, turbo, radiator, maf sensor, and lic plate assembly all replaced.

Had a def pump code but when it got to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong

·
Registered
155 Posts
We weigh 8800lbs fully loaded and get between 22-23mpg on the interstate @ 70mph, using cruise control a lot. Headwind can have a big effect on the interstate with the high roof. We get 26+ sometimes in mountainous terrain with no cruise or on back country roads going 50-55mph.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
CUT.... In the 5 months I've owned it has had egr valve, egr cooler, waste gate, waste gate solenoid, vacuum canister, turbo, radiator, maf sensor, and lic plate assembly all replaced.
Had a def pump code but when it got to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong ...... CUT
Your experience is similar to some late 2014 to early 2015 diesel owners who went through almost the same list. We never got a report of what if anything fixed the vans but certainly it wasn’t the parts swaps that were done. Of the buybacks- I understand FCA does fix them and resells them. We had a few buyers consider diesel vans that showed FCA ownership as the second owner so that probably was some of them. There were early problem vans that were fixed by software updates. We really only had a large handful of those reports although the posters, like you, were struggling and posted often and complained a lot as can be understood. I think if you could get the attention of Star’s diesel problem solvers you might get it fixed. You dealer is probably in way over his head and just as frustrated as you must be.
The License plate assembly and radiator probably is not the cause either! This wasn’t built before 3/2015 was it? That was the time these problem went away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your experience is similar to some late 2014 to early 2015 diesel owners who went through almost the same list. We never got a report of what if anything fixed the vans but certainly it wasn’t the parts swaps that were done. Of the buybacks- I understand FCA does fix them and resells them. We had a few buyers consider diesel vans that showed FCA ownership as the second owner so that probably was some of them. There were early problem vans that were fixed by software updates. We really only had a large handful of those reports although the posters, like you, were struggling and posted often and complained a lot as can be understood. I think if you could get the attention of Star’s diesel problem solvers you might get it fixed. You dealer is probably in way over his head and just as frustrated as you must be.
The License plate assembly and radiator probably is not the cause either! This wasn’t built before 3/2015 was it? That was the time these problem went away.
Oh I forgot add ac compressor to the list.

Originally I took it to the purchasing dealer to repair the van but a Chrysler tech came out both vists 1st 24 days they replaced the turbo
The 2nd 27 days and the did the egr cooler waste gate canister and rad...

Started using a much better to deal with dealer Since then they've delt with the a.c. def and maf so far..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts