Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Hopefully you have better luck with the Ford and the Ford dealer.
Thanks. 6k miles and -- thus far -- have not yet had a CEL nor reason to go to a dealer. That's already many, many times better than my PM's, which threw CEL's requiring dealer visits 2-3x/month, on average.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
IIRC you bought 2 Promaster diesels and now you have a AWD Transit gasser. I'm sure you'll be happy with Transit it's just out of my price range.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Watched a video where a Youtuber was super excited that they got a Promaster diesel, rare breed, super excited. To bad they didn't ask someone first.

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
If you make the same mistake twice it’s on you, unfortunately.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My 14 PM gasser has only given one CEL in 5 years. Bad oil pressure sensor. Half a day to fix under warranty. Yours must have been really frustrating to own!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well it was a long decision process the ended witb an easy choice of the Promaster over the Transit. WARNING: REALLY LONG!

Here's what we have:
2019 3500 EXT 159 WB High roof with windows all around in the dark cherry red.

What were the factors in selection:
1. My wife preferred to drive it
2. Wanted it in red with the factory tinted Euro windows all around.
3. Cargo van with nothing built out in tbe back.
4. Ease of access to the battery and upfitter connection on the B pillar.
5. Good fuel economy (17+ mpg highway), plenty of power and acceptable towing capacity (5000 lbs.).
6. Very open platform for custom work.
7. We want to travel, but not camp in tbe van. We like to picnic and stay in hotels. We are going to get a travel trailer, but first we are working on the truck and other projects.
8. Use it for a variety of uses including my wife's Mary Kay business, Amateur Radio activities, transporting "big stuff" when needed, transporting family and friends as needed.

How is space allocated?
1. The front is for my wife and me. The factory seats are marginally comfortable but have been augmented with swivels which greatly improved the leg room by raising the seats 1.75 inches.
2. There are temperature and voltage gauges in the front compartment and additional USB and 12 Volt Anderson PowerPole jacks up front on a fused switch panel.
3. Some switches run remote relays located between the passenger C pillar and the rear wheel where there are two 6 Volt 220 AH golf cart batteries.
4. There are some positions reserved for exterior lighting both for the road and the area.
5. Radio control heads for various Amateur Radios for HF, VHF and UHF analog and digital. There is also a CB with scanning weather/all hazards alerting and a PA.
6. In the middle, we are going to have three foldable and removable seats for passengers installed this fall along with dressed up crew cab finishings.
7. Beyond the C pillars is a long couch on tbe passenger side and a long desk on the driver's side with medium and short 19 inch racks. Radios, computers and networking gear fill that area with several monitors mounted on the wall over the desk.
8. The driver's side long side window in the rear over the desk is insulated and blacked out without paint.
9. The ceiling for 12 feet from the rear to the driver's area up front is insulated with polyiso board and then covered with long lengths of pine beadboard from Home Depot. Smells nice!
10. The roof has one 175W BougeRV, another will be added this Fall. It feeds a West Mountain Radio Epic PWRGATE MPPT charge controller.
11. There is a Netgear M1 Nighthawk cellular modem/router on AT&T with an omni MIMO antenna for mobile connectivity. It feeds a 48+ 2 port Cisco VLAN switch, user access points, AREDN Mesh gear, computers, radios and other devices.
12. There are a variety of antennas for all kinds of radios, GPS, SiriusXM, AM/FM, etc. There's even a GPS-disciplined 10 MHz reference oscillator on board for precision frequency and timing.
13. Under the couch, in tbe desk csbinets, and in two overhead shelves are stored parts, supplies, antennas and cables.

We bought the Promaster online from Chrysler of Culpepper. They were great!
I had just had my hip replaced and so I had time in recuperation to work remotely, do my rehab and to shop online. Local dealers in New Jersey/New York metro tended to sell boring white, windowless and featureless models. Same with Ford. All wanted a premium to order from the factory and promised a 4-6 month wait. Culpepper and the Internet solved that! :)

We have driven to Texas, Florida, North Carolina and throughout the northeast in the 16 months since we bought the truck It has 36k miles on it. In a few months we'll visit friends and family in California, Oregon, Washington and Montana. Then I'll buy new tires for the winter. Any suggestions?

So that's a summary of why we bought our Promaster and continue to enjoy its build out and the travels and day to day tasks it enables.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts