Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Members,

My very first post on this forum! My wife has a bakery and we are looking for a vehicle for deliveries. In addition, and I would say the vast majority of its use, would be for exploring America. Today I saw the 159 wheelbase, high roof, window van. I have driven Pro masters in the past. I was absolutely impressed by the nearly square cargo area and the location of the windows is perfect for creating upper cabinets and the typical interior van build out. The windows created a very airy feel. The van that I saw had six position seats that actually allowed tilting forward and back of the entire seat. With that, the foot position was actually quite comfortable. The van that I saw was very well specked out with nearly all options. I like the fact that I'm able to stand and it, I am 6 foot, and it is nearly not as obnoxious as the very tall roof Ford transit.

I also like the fact that the emergency brake it is on the left-hand side and clearly it is below the seat rail once it is depressed. I understand there are concerns for its use with swivel seats, but if worse comes to worse, I am considering an electronic parking brake such as E stopp. I looked under the hood, and it oil filter is on top of the motor. In addition, the dipstick has the shape of a stranded steel cable. That means to me that oil changes can be done with an extraction method, just like I do on the old Mercedes ML 320 that I nurse. In essence you can do this without getting underneath the vehicle.

But then again, I also looked at the Ford transit. The 2020 model, with all-wheel-drive, with the six-cylinder Ecoboost motor is incredibly impressive. The seating position and the availability for very advanced driving aids is something. The Ford transit can even be ordered with adaptive cruise control. It behaved incredibly well on the test drive and I have no doubt that with proper maintenance and frequent oil changes the vehicle will last quite nicely.

The pro-master definitely has, and I felt, a certain European engineering standpoint. For instance, the armrests adjust with a turn dial. That is very common for European vehicles.

I know the pro-master is much nicer to build out, but the Ford transit is so technically advanced in terms of its available driving aids.

I have looked at the Mercedes sprinter and it is an amazing vehicle. The problem is I am not a big fan of diesel motors. In my opinion, the headaches with regards to maintenance and cost of operations, dealer availability, outweigh any potential minimal gain in mileage. It's gasoline motor is simply too anemic for my taste. In the Mercedes Metris I am sure it is fine.

So please share with me if you will, your decision-making process as to why you came to the pro-master. Many on the Ford transit forum consider the pro-master somewhat substandard in terms of its build quality. To me, if all that refers to is the dashboard, then perhaps. But I know the V6 Pentastar motor has multiport fuel injection, as opposed to direct injection (with its related intake valve carbon issues), and with proper care will give a very long useful life. If anything, the pro-master's weak point appears to be its transmission, but I'm not too sure about that.

Apologies for the lengthy first post but I'm very curious as to what this community has to say. To those that reply, thank you very much in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

You may want to post this question in a separate post; a mod will likely suggest you do this as this post is for introducing yourself.

With this in mind, I'll briefly say I looked at all 3 but drove only the Transit and the Promaster. I chose the PM and have no regrets. It's a great platform for building a DIY campervan.

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
The OP did originally post this in a different forum but I moved it here rather than delete it because it’s actually his first introductory post, otherwise I would have had to delete it altogether and that didn’t seem like the best thing to do either.

There is a good reason for all new members to make an introductory post although, for some strange reason, 50% never do in till I force them to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.