Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that concerns me is why did Dodge decide to make the Promaster a front wheel drive instead of RWD. Wouldn't a RWD vehicle help by pushing the load the vehicle is carrying instead of pulling from the front?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know there is a lot of discussion on why the promaster ended up to be just offered in front wheel drive. Dodge argues that the ProMaster’s front-wheel drive will give it greater cargo capacity as well as superior mileage and a lower step-in height.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What boxgrove mentioned is correct.

There is nothing wrong with front wheel drive for a cargo van. If you are towing I would be concerned but I doubt I would be. The front wheel drive will make it cheaper to produce and easier to maintain. It will also be safer to drive during wet or cold months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
it is cheaper to produce when there is a high demand. The extra components and labor time for the rear wheel drive would drive up the price if you take that in to consideration for costs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FWD vans have better traction. They weigh less and have better fuel economy and typically have better cargo capacity. It's also cheaper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
^ For sure. On the rear wheel drive type vans the driveshaft, differential and axle makes up for most of the weight in the rear but also consumes more fuel to make the haul.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The advantage of RWD is better acceleration and driving performance. You can enter turns at higher speeds. But these are requirements that aren't necessary for a van. More for a sports car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts