Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you like yours? I'm considering this option as opposed to a fixed rear-door ladder. I dont really need to get up there, just want to be able to clear off snow / clean solar panels. I just dont want it marring up the side or denting the metal where it leans against the side. Is this a potential issue?

Also what height ladder do you recommend for a high-roof PM?

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
606 Posts
The very few time I lean a ladder on the van, i used some cut up pool noodle to protect the paint plus it prevent the ladder from sliding around. I also use some rope to tie it on to my roof rack for extra safety measure.

Reactions: HippieGypsy

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I had one in my last van, but it was so infrequent that I needed it it almost felt wasteful to carry it with me at all times.

Reactions: HippieGypsy

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
450 Posts
What Uran said. I have a 10ft telescoping ladder, it’s the perfect height. I’m using pipe insulation around the latter verticals to protect the paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a 10 foot telescoping ladder and primarily use it to clean our solar panels. It doesn't always feel like the most secure option, but a fixed ladder costs more and would make cleaning our 3 panels harder. Make sure to protect your paint!

·
Registered
961 Posts
We have a 10 foot telescoping ladder and primarily use it to clean our solar panels. It doesn't always feel like the most secure option, but a fixed ladder costs more and would make cleaning our 3 panels harder. Make sure to protect your paint!
The problem is if you had a fixed ladder youd have to walk around on the roof to clean the panels which is more dangerous than climbing the telescoping ladder.

Ive had both, fixed ladder on rear of last van and use a telescoping ladder with this van. Telescoping is way better IMO, mainly because you can put it where you need it, costs less, not permanent, security, other uses around the house/campsite, etc. I use used some adhesive weatherstripping on the top of the ladder to protect the paint.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,447 Posts
I have this one from Amazon.
It's the perfect height. Obviously a fixed ladder eliminates the need to carry one in the van, but I just don't understand how a fixed ladder is useful, being stuck in one spot. I used the ladder to install roof rack, awning, solar panels; clean solar panels, wash roof, and now to deploy my awning. Yeah I have to carry it inside, but it doesn't take much space, and is extremely quick and easy to extend and collapse.

I have not used any padding and have not had any issues with leaning it against the paint. I don't bang it or slide it around on the side of the van - just carefully lean it up, and carefully climb up.

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
27 Posts
The WolfWise model seems unavailable right now; I bought this Ohuhu model several months ago--used for attaching a sun shade and for as-needed access to roof panels and roof. Seems to work fine; easy to extend and collapse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem is if you had a fixed ladder youd have to walk around on the roof to clean the panels which is more dangerous than climbing the telescoping ladder.

Ive had both, fixed ladder on rear of last van and use a telescoping ladder with this van. Telescoping is way better IMO, mainly because you can put it where you need it, costs less, not permanent, security, other uses around the house/campsite, etc. I use used some adhesive weatherstripping on the top of the ladder to protect the paint.
Might have to steal your adhesive weatherstripping idea... genius! We definitely agree that the telescoping ladder gives you a lot more flexibility, which is why we went that route. We're happy with the decision.

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The WolfWise model seems unavailable right now; I bought this Ohuhu model several months ago--used for attaching a sun shade and for as-needed access to roof panels and roof. Seems to work fine; easy to extend and collapse.
Also seems to be unavailable now... looks theres a run on telescoping ladders!

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
2018 HR 136” in winter camouflage.
56 Posts
I also use a telescoping ladder, and use it frequently for tying up my kayak, cleaning my panels, and raising/lowering my weboost antenna. I use this one, which I like for its wider base:

View attachment 78895
Same here, not only use it for the van but also use it around camp almost as much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also use a telescoping ladder, and use it frequently for tying up my kayak, cleaning my panels, and raising/lowering my weboost antenna. I use this one, which I like for its wider base:

View attachment 78895
Forget the ladder, seriously want to know more about this kayak loading contraption !

·
Registered
309 Posts
Forget the ladder, seriously want to know more about this kayak loading contraption !
:) the kayak was the hardest part. I bought the HD (heavy duty) model from here:

It didn’t work quite the same on the Promaster as the Nissan in his blog post with video. The owner and I discussed options for a longer “kickstand” or some kind of angled extension adaptor, but he was going on vacation, so I just built the wooden base that doubles life jacket and dry bag storage when in transit, and it works well.

Here’s a video:

EDIT: ...and the video on their blog:

I use the rope technique shown on their website, rather than trying to push it up the tracks like in the first video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I only use my regular 4 legged ladder to clean the roof. That's it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the kayak thing is hilarious...have a 2015 Diesel short WB basic 2 person boondock capable - bought a $70 Amazon ladder for a standard height ford, cut it and used a piece of ECT to extend it to make it fit high top. I set up everything that I want to put on top, climb up and drag the stuff up - tie it down.. LOL wife thinks I'm going to fall off and break my neck... We are still enjoying the van though ;-) - I do enjoy this forum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts