Ram Promaster Forum banner

Are you attending the 2021 Hood River Adventure Van Expo?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Families welcome . Non vanners , soon to be , just getting ideas , we'll all be there .
h1k3rb wait for Chattanooga , should be close enough .

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
Yes, Chattanooga is much closer. In Oct too so nice and cool by then, at least at night. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts
Although we won't be attending, anyone is welcome to stop by and say hi at our warehouse/office/CNC facilities in Hood River. 1500A Osprey Drive.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
So just drive up, no notice?

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
Have seen wind surfers on the Columbia there that were going so fast it looked like they'd get seriously hurt if they had a bad crash. Anyone here know what kind of speeds are reacherd?

edit - ok, found it. Unless it’s been surpassed since 2012, Antione Albeau hit 60 mph. That’s moving!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll probably be there but I'll be parked at the Event Site and on the water!
What will you be sailing. I'll probably try to make it. Will be on a Starboard 147 foilboard or slalom/bump and jump gear. I'll be in a 136 high top white promaster with stacked solar panels plus roof racks.
-Jim

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,008 Posts
Have seen wind surfers on the Columbia there that were going so fast it looked like they'd get seriously hurt if they had a bad crash. Anyone here know what kind of speeds are reacherd?

edit - ok, found it. Unless it’s been surpassed since 2012, Antione Albeau hit 60 mph. That’s moving!
I hit that on my bike once, downhill on a bike legal section of 101 into SLO, behind a truck to get extra speed (no pedaling at that speed).
Super fun. Don't crash.
My faster crashes were around 35, either in a sprint in a race or downhill into a deer, or overcooking a wet corner, or down hill on the track going for a flying 200

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I got my GPS to clock 60 on a ski run. That's starting to get pretty scary.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What will you be sailing. I'll probably try to make it. Will be on a Starboard 147 foilboard or slalom/bump and jump gear. I'll be in a 136 high top white promaster with stacked solar panels plus roof racks.
-Jim
Is the event site on the water? I'm long past attempting such shenanigans but would love to watch. Where?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The Columbia River gorge near Hood River is a windsurfing / kite surfing hotspot. So it's maybe 15 minutes from the event site down to the river.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is the event site on the water? I'm long past attempting such shenanigans but would love to watch. Where?
Yes, it's on the water. Follow 2nd St north from downtown Hood River. There is usually parking to be had except on the busiest of days. You will have to pay. Then just walk to the water. Lots to look at. Restaurants. Ice Cream shops, etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
-Jim
Hey Jim! 159 white hi-top with Idaho plates - parking inside. We will be flying SSTs, Lift foils on SS 3'6" micro foilboards or Firewire Evo directionals.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'll be at the event site and I'll be at the van expo this weekend. Hope to see you again Ken. It's been good kiting so far this season, had a nice 8m outing this afternoon.
Uh Oh! Help me out here. You know me but I can't place you. As far as kiting, since Baja, we've only been out once. Been busy doing some home remodel stuff. Now, just waiting to see a good forecast to head over. Looks like the wind was better in May than June - which is my favorite month usually!

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
The waterfront has become developed with restaurants and it has a public park that's a good option for viewing as well. There is a paved path along the Columbia River from 'the hook' which is the far western end, eastward through the Waterfront Park then across what's called 'Luhr-Jensen' to the Event Site, and then follows 'Nichols Basin' to a pedestrian bridge across the Hood River to the Marina area. There's a really cool little museum over there my mom used to work at too. If parking is crazy and you're willing to walk, you could park at the Hook and make the trek eastward, or take exit 64 and head north, turning left at the stoplight before the toll bridge and park by the big open grass area and walk across the pedestrian bridge. There is free parking both near the DMV or if you follow that road it turns to dirt and you can park along the Columbia outside the marina's bay.

Here's the overview: Google Maps

The Fairgrounds is a little bit out of town, and DIYVan and WAAAM are near the Hood River Airport. Both routes to get to the fairgrounds from town are scenic. Hood River County Fairgrounds · 3020 Wyeast Rd, Hood River, OR 97031

View west from the hook (under wildfire smoke):

Event site looking out to Columbia:

The sandbar where kitesurfers launch from (light wind day; usually more crowded):

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
@shreddagorge Thanks for the pics. In my mind the "Event Site" is the fairgrounds for the event "Hood River Adventure Van Expo".

Is there another event at the water? Are they related?
Ah, that's funny! Yeah, I guess the fairgrounds being the site this event will be held at, but the wind junkies on this thread are referring to the paid area at the waterfront we launch our toys from. It was established in the earlier days of windsurfing and used to have bleachers where people watched races. It is formally called "The Event Site" and managed by the Port of Hood River, so if you ask anyone in town for directions this is where they'll send you (hence @watercamper 's answer). No, the fairgrounds (site of this event) are inland, to answer @Airstreamer 's question.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hopefully shreddagorge has cleared up my answer above, BUT, just to be sure: The Van Expo will be held at the fairgrounds which is a ways out of town and away from the water. You can google it.

If you want to watch some windsurfing, kiting or just enjoy a walk along the waterfront, then go to what is called The Event Site (notice the capitals I used) and for which I described the directions. I thought that is what airstreamer wanted to know but after rereading his request, I can see the problem.

For those of you camping in your van, there are a couple of nice campgrounds nearby. Tucker County Park and Toll Bridge. There are also many forest service campgrounds and of course, lots of dispersed camping in the forest. And don't forget your mtn bikes. Lots of trails to be enjoyed.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts