Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to use polyiso for insulation and Great Stuff (pro) seems to be the go to adhesive. If I rough cut the sheets into a wall space and plan to hit the perimeter gap with foam, should I use the insulating foam for the filler or just use more adhesive?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,449 Posts
I started with Doors and Windows, low expanding has a sponge feel. I also tried Gaps and Cracks(cheaper), foam has a harder feel more difficult to run a bead and guess the expansion. Ended up back with Doors and Windows, I can run a bead and guess the expansion with less trimming. I did the perimeter.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I liked the Gaps and Cracks. Each to their own. This one is a super adhesive and once pressed flat by the panel has little or no extra expansion. Be careful when filling an enclosed space.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
Just don't use the regular stuff (unless you want to see bulges)!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We were, and still are, very happy with GS Doors and Windows. We used it as poly-iso adhesive on the back and gap filler around the edges. No worries about body bulges from expansion. We cut many over-sized (quick and dirty) rabbets (etc) on the backs of the poly-iso to get it to lay flush to the walls and ceiling. GS-D&W filled all the rabbets (etc), too. Bendy sticks work great for bracing the poly-iso in place while the adhesive cures. Size your sticks to exert enough force to bend the poly-iso into the body curves. Trim the cured foam flush with a long razor knife. See post 44 in our build thread for photos.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Yes he means Gaps and Cracks BUT I used it for the polyiso and wouldn’t change. DON’t spray it into the ribs and fill them or it will bulge the van skin. It is perfect for the polyiso and if you over fill the edges just trim away. Try both. They each have their good uses. The bendy sticks are just the way to do it. Use a flat board against the polyiso so you don’t damage it and I did not need to ever channel the back. Run the beads of great stuff vertically so if there is ever condensation it can drain down. I ran the beads on the ceiling across the van so condensation could move to the edges and not stain my ceiling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts