Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering using one of the Bedrug mats as floor underlayment in my build based on some others I’ve read using this option. Looking at the website, two options - which option is preferred - vanrug or vantred? Seems like vantred since it has “anti-slip rubber surface”. But since I’ve never seen either in person, thought I’d ask the experts and those that have experience with these. Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm curious, what is the supposed advantage of using the Bedrug under the plywood? Seems like quite an expense to juts cover it up. :unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here’s what appealed to me:
1. It’s cut out to shape of van - can use the mat as template for plywood and flooring (sheet coin flooring)
2. It the thickness I’m looking for, and fills the channels
3. If I’m slow to get plywood down, or need to pull it up for some reason, can always just use the Bedrug.
I agree it’s not the cheapest - but I was quoted $40/sheet for 1/2” polyiso (x3) and mini cell would probably be a similar cost to Bedrug.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
523 Posts
A sheet of ½” of polyiso is just $14 at Lowe’s.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You'll want to use the VanRug to facilitate easy attachment of your hard surface using adhesives. The polypropylene weave on top gives the adhesive something to grab onto. I successfully glued MDO plywood to that weave using outdoor wood glue in a test situation. The hard polypropylene surface of the VanTred is going to present difficulties in getting something attached with easy to handle adhesives.

I think you will like the product. It's incredibly tough and won't produce any sounds under movement. Also, check out MDO plywood. Unlike even exterior plywood, it won't absorb moisture or ever swell.

·
Registered
2021 118 low, Black
234 Posts
I have VanRug under my factory cargo bay floring. I like the combo. The VanRug is a weave, with an open call composition. The factory cover is closed cell, so spills and sliding objects (don't dig in) are not an issue. Together they are easy on my knees if I have to kneel. They contribute minimaly to head room reduction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m considering using one of the Bedrug mats as floor underlayment in my build based on some others I’ve read using this option. Looking at the website, two options - which option is preferred - vanrug or vantred? Seems like vantred since it has “anti-slip rubber surface”. But since I’ve never seen either in person, thought I’d ask the experts and those that have experience with these. Thanks.
I’m doing exactly the same thing. The tipping point for me was using the rug as a template for the plywood install. That brings the cost of a insulated sub-floor to approximately $400 - $500, and you have a pretty great template to speed up install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts